ammo sit gettin better?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by OldDude49, Mar 6, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Neighbor found a brick of CCI spp for 6.99 per 100

mysterymet likes this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

There's 350 pages of primers on gun broker, down from nearly 500 pages a few weeks ago. I don't know if people started buying them again at gouge prices because of the Russian ammo ban hysteria or if people are giving up on selling them at $150 to $200 per brick.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Ammoseek showing availability at $115 or greater per 1,000 most no-name brands or otherwise unusual manufacturers.

5.56 @~ 50 cents/round.

Probably will improve early Jan 2023 when the R's take back control of the Senate and house putting an end to this panic cycle. Then again inflation at levels under Biden that will take that particular footnote away from Carter and it could be much worse.

Brokor, Oddcaliber and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Bought the neighbor 1K of cci. SPP for 70 + tax so it came out to 75 and change.
    He's happy he got em at all.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  5. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Lots of military calibers in FMJ, ours (9mm, .223/5.56, and .308/7.62x51) and theirs (7.62x39 and 7.62x54R), also 00 Buckshot and .22 LR. Except for the hunting ammo (shotgun and rifle), it just sits there gathering dust. I did get a couple of hundred rds. of .223/5.56 for a friend...it was only 50 cents/rd..

6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Yeah I definitely don't need any at 50 cents a round

7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Ammoland and a few others have steel cased 9x19 FMJ Russian made garbage for $0.16 a shot.
    Hell that's almost normal.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I saw some cci number 34 primers on midway, $90 plus $12 hazmat, plus shipping, plus tax and decided I didn't need them that bad. Then just like that they were gone 15 to 20 minutes later.
    If they had been regular cci small rifle primers I might not have said no so quickly, or bought them and wish I hadn't.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Midway has 40 different 22lr in stock.
    But it's expensive.
    Rem Goldenjam is 13 cents a shot before shipping. I sold my 8-10 year old goldenjams for 11 cents after fees and shipping.
    They have cci velocitor for 22 cents a shot. But if the local gun shop here has any, they sell them for about 14 cents a shot out the door.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Midway has large pistol primers available all day for $77, plus $12 hazmat plus shipping.
    So that's an improvement.

Oddcaliber likes this.
  11. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

This isn't very encouraging, but at the same time I have seen zero decrease in the amount of ammo fired at the range. Zero.

[​IMG]

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

I was at my local gun shop last night, and most of the shelves were empty. It looked like he was going out of business, but luckily he isn't. People still come in and talk, some rifles need repairs, things like that. My friend's shop is more of his hobby than a super-money making business, and he's been at it since the 80's.

Ammo wise, he had probably 500 rounds .22lr in 100rd packs. .17hmr by the box full, most of what he had left. He also had 200 rds of 7mm remington magnum sitting there. I don't know why 7mm rem mag isn't as popular anymore; it's quite nice to shoot in comparison to the 7mm rum, and the barrels last way longer.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I got an email from SG Ammo this morning and they definitely have a bunch of assorted ammo from good stuff to garbage. Prices are high though.

Gator 45/70, mysterymet and 3M-TA3 like this.
  14. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Midwayusa had some too but a bit pricey.

GOG and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I've noticed during the last few panics that I've always been able to find 7mm Rem Mag, even if everything else was gone. IMO the only drawbacks were shorter barrel life than most other typical hunting rounds and without using a quality bullet can create a lot of meat damage.

A very versatile cartridge that nicely compliments 5.56 NATO or 7.62 Commie for food gathering and defense. If part of your prep and SHTF strategy get a Savage and a spare barrel or perhaps two for long term viability.

GOG and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Academy Sports actually had 3 boxes of 38 special on the shelves. Haven't seen that in a long time.

VisuTrac, GOG and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. Midsouth has cfe pistol powder today.

Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  18. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

The shelves are still without common caliber ammo. Very little 5.56, some .223 steel case, little or no .45 or 9mm, no .357, 22LR, .38 SP, or .44 and hasn't been for going on a year....

VisuTrac likes this.
  19. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Plenty down here last I checked
    223 or 5.56 308 243 gobs of 9s
    Didn't look much further than that
    But if one has deep pockets its doable

Dunerunner likes this.
  20. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Beware of nutered M193.
    The nutered M193 "only made a shallow dent in a cheap mild steel target" and "hits 3 MOA low"
    So if you recently bought cheap |M193 well your a dumb ass first of all because you probably spent up to $1 per shot and no less that 50 cents per shot depending on how much money you flushed. You better test it if you are saving it for the boog.
    That's why I prefer to roll my own.

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. T. Riley
  2. duane
  3. oil pan 4
  4. Oddcaliber
  5. deMolay
  6. Grandpa Patch
  7. Bishop
    Thread

Socket mold

Here is how I make my slingshot ammo with a socket. [MEDIA]