Ammunition Stock and How Long Will It Last You

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yard Dart, May 9, 2013.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I was having a conversation with a friend today and one of our topics was:
    How much ammunition do you have on hand in general by caliber and if SHTF how long will it last you. How are you going to use your various supplies for survival?

What I was wondering, in a general sense is the following:
    How are your ammo supplies coming for the calibers you need for your primary & secondary weapons, what issue's other than purchasing due to shortages in your local stores (don't we all have this problem). If the SHTF today how long would your ammo last in a general defensive position if you are hunkered down (in your opinion) for your AO. City slickers are going to use more ammo in my opinion initially than those in the country as there are less folks looking for food when it runs out. How would you ration your ammo for each purpose such as food procurement, defense and other means? Is a basic load enough for you to reach your BOL. Are you planning and implementing cache's for ammo to prevent loss of everything you have if you loose your primary AO? (I am not asking anybody to provide a itemization of their ammo or anything like that!! I do not want to know ;) Just food for thought on your current ammo situation, what your issues are and what you are doing to protect your supply.

This is the basis of the convo I had and thought it would be a good topic for discussion with my fellow Monkey's.
    YD

2. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

One of the biggest area USPSA Matches is taking registrations for Oct. now. They raised the entrance fee by half. I will not be shooting it because they have joined the rest of the proffiteers that are keeping the ammo dried up. If I keep my shooting at the level it has been for the past six months, my supply will only last until I am 140.

Gator 45/70, Beano, kellory and 3 others like this.
  3. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

So that would be like 120 if TSHTF? Nice!

4. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

YD this is a very good thread .
    I dont have alot of ammo but enuff in my eyes ...
    but i am very interested to see what other people have to ...
    Very seldum do i read about people bragging about there 22s riffles being there main gun so it s baffling me y i am reading about people buy 100000000000000000000000000000000000 rounds of ammo for it all the time ...
    but anyway this shall be a good one ...

Yard Dart likes this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I have enough for my needs, and will be adding compnents during this summer where I can. Should have enough for 10K for each caliber, that is in the Weapons Locker.

Yard Dart likes this.
  6. Yard Dart

I have a long way to go for 10K in the locker for each caliber- you are looking great in my opinion @BTPost.

7. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

yea if you u need 10k rounds up there were are in a fucking bind down here

kellory and Yard Dart like this.
  8. Yard Dart

I am primarily stocking .270, 12 G of various types, 7.62 X 39, .308, 40 cal. and 22 cal. We also have a mixture of .380 and whatever else is in the boxes left over from previous weap's. One of our focus's as a family is to buy weap's of common caliber to assist with stocking.

Beano likes this.
  9. JABECmfg

JABECmfg multi-useless

You're right, but there are many good reasons for excessive amounts of .22... among them:
    1- it's cheap, so you can shoot it all day and not break the bank.
    2- it's quiet and low-recoil, so you can easily teach others to shoot with a .22
    3- quiet is also good for stealth purposes and not attracting attention, could be a factor depending on situation.
    4 - it's versatile, effective for small game hunting but still lethal if needed for defense and definitely better than nothing in a pinch.
    5- rimfire cartridges, not reloadable!!! Once it's gone, it's gone... centerfire ammo can be reloaded, but you'll only be shooting your .22 for as long as your stockpiles last.

(Yes, I'm a .22 fan... can you tell?)

Back on topic of this thread, a few weeks ago I heard an interesting opinion - that excessive ammo is not necessary. The reasoning was this: as long as you're armed and have at least a little ammo, the only people who pose a threat to you in a SHTF situation are also armed and have ammo. The last thing anyone wants to do is have to use ammo to defend themselves, but no matter how difficult it may be, no one is going to do it and then say "I think I'll just leave that guy's weapon and ammo on the ground there next to him".

It makes pretty good sense. It doesn't consider other factors, such as long-term hunting applications, but it makes sense.

Of course, I'd still rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Especially something like ammo.

10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Come down to it, there are only two possible answers to the embedded question. Either one has enough or one does not. That has to be predicated on what you have selected as the worst case you need to be prepared for, no?

Well, I have enough of some, but by no means of all, of my selected calibers. This shortage caught me with my pants down in the 223 department, I'd like another 1K in the locker. 30=06 is lower than optimal, too, and 22 is really low, but I don't figure to need 10K rounds in storage.

It's all relative---
    YMMV.

Yard Dart likes this.
  11. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

You are all ahead of me. i am late to the ball. about a thousand rounds of .22lr, 100 rounds of .38, and 50 12ga. rifled deer slugs and a few boxes of 12ga. sabots, 300 rounds small game shot. Enough to hunt the season, but not much more. The money ran out, and the ammo disappeared. i will have to scavenge from the dead. I have a lead on some .22lr, i may be able to get some finally.:(

tulianr likes this.
  12. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Don't want to elaborate on what we have since we are good. Have to laugh at the people I talk to that say they went to Walmart, or anywhere else, to buy some 22's and are surprised that they don't have any.

tulianr and Yard Dart like this.
  13. BTPost

I will have enough components to make 10K Rounds for all our weapons. That is the goal, and we have a good percentage of those already. Just need to add some Powder and Projectiles. That is the goal for this summer, as the powder can only come by Barge. .....

14. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Reloading is a skill set that makes things cheaper and much easier to attain for a prepper. That said, my personal goal is 10,000 rounds for my main battle rifle, 50,000 to 100,000 in 22LR, and 1,000 to 5,000 for each other caliber I have weapons for. To me and many others having all the components to reload in quantity counts the same as having fully loaded rounds count wise. I was very close to my goal on 22LR when things went wacko (I will not pay 21 to 90 cents per round for a 4 cent product).

Rusty Shackleford and Yard Dart like this.
  15. Harbin

Harbin Monkey+

My neighbor came over the other day super excited that he was able to order 1500 rounds of CCI 22LR, I asked what he paid and he goes "man, I got a deal cause I bought so much- only .42 per round!". I just about fell over. I had no idea what to say, so I just nodded and said "cool". When I asked how much he had total he said just these 1500. While all prices are ridiculous right now, (really, wtf- $1/rd of 223?) I did tell him about ammoseek.com.

I was getting pretty comfortable with my supply of .22LR until I read Tac's post, now I feel woefully inadequate.[sawgunner]

16. Beano

Beano Monkey

If anyne can tell me that it's easy to ship ammo, I have 200 rds of .22LR that I will trade for a box of 9mm. Of course, shipping ammo probably isn't easy.

17. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Don't. Even I fall short on almost all calibers. I had 40,000 22LR, but still shoot it and I am under 35,000 now. My point of the 100,000 figure was, It is so great an amount for a common firearm, post shtf, when all others have burnt through all their centerfire ammo and components, a man who started with 100,000 22LR would still have several thousand rounds. He would be a king among men. 100,000 rounds 22lr at 4 cents is $4,000 ........ not a real great figure.

JABECmfg likes this.
  18. BTPost

AMMO ships as DOT ORM-D Materials.... Must go by non-Air Freight... Must be declared as such, on the Manifest, and that means it can't be placed with other specific DOT Classified Materials, in a common shipment container. UPS Ground used to ship that stuff, but I am not sure they still do. FedEx will Not take ORM-D shipments for a LCL loading. (LCL=Less than Container Load)(20K Lbs) Been a while since I shipped a big Ammo Order.

tulianr likes this.
  19. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

It is easy but not cheap. Ammo can be shipped by UPS Ground.

IMO, I would not even bother with the little amount your are trying to trade.

Shipping would cost more than the ammo is worth.

Beano likes this.
  20. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Enough but always lookin'.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7