An Interesting Off-Grid Coil Water Heater / Heat Exchanger

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by chelloveck, Jul 10, 2023.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

The concept can be adapted to using alternative equipment / materials

Part 1 Proof of Concept Testing

Part 2 Installation in the field

Insulated pipe lagging would help reduce heat loss between heat source and radiator

Similar principle, but variation on a theme...

An off-grid water heating system for domestic hot water production for kitchen use or bathing (think bucket shower) instead of space heating.

VisuTrac and SB21 like this.
  2. Out in the woods

Out in the woods off-grid in-the-forest beekeeper

I have 50-feet of 5/8" of copper tubing coiled inside the upper chamber [drum] of our primary wood stove. We circulate water through that to a thermal bank downstairs. The thermal bank then circulates through our radiant heating floors. We want to capture as much of the heat from our wood stove [a Vogelzang two-barrel stove], store that heat and redistribute that heat throughout our home.

SB21 and chelloveck like this.
  3. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

The biggest problem with some of those plans is that they are outdoors, in the cold! A better plan would be to have both the heat source and the hot water system inside the structure so as not to lose heat, but that could be a problem in a very small structure (excess heat, air quality, and steam/hot water leaks). These systems have the advantage of being cheap, mobile (if needed), and can burn wood, peat, coal or dung.

SB21 and chelloveck like this.
  4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

The sled micro cabin needs to be portable, and having an internal source of heat may not be practicable in some circumstances. Also the heat source needs to be at a lower elevation than the storage for the siphon effect to work, as I understand it.

[​IMG]
    Thermosiphon Loop | Coalpail.com

SB21 likes this.
  5. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

One of the easiest and cheapest ways to heat water is to place a 5-gallon metal Jerry can next to or on a hot woodstove (remember to remove the cap) and wait for it to get hot, NOTE: a thermometer is very helpful! Mix the HOT water with a couple of gallons of cold water and you have enough water to wash and rinse.

SB21 likes this.
  6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I just recently finished a thermosyphon solar water heater for my out side shower next to my camper.
    135 degrees in about an hour during the warm fall months now and I enjoy having a shower any time I want.
    I used corrugated clear plastic awning material, cutting the 10 foot section in half and painting one silver to reflect heat and left the other clear and clam shelled them together with the copper tubing inside.
    I support the tubing with strap material so it sets in the center of the clam.
    I have 2- 5 gallon buckets on the top of my camper. one for hot and one for cold and a mixer to temper the water.
    I have a DC12 volt pump for delivering the water from ground level to the buckets above, and both are wrapped in insulation.
    I tried PVC first painting it black but it got too hot and could not take the heat without water in it.
    Eventually I will adapt it to my camper water heater for use inside. Though I have a shower inside the camper, I don't want o fill the grey water tank with merely shower water.
    Though I'm parked on dirt any way. I stand on Astro turf while showering.

chelloveck, mechstdr and SB21 like this.
  7. mechstdr

mechstdr patriotic grease monkey

Thursday, September 02, 2004 (5) 600. Here's an idea for an outdoor shower. Thursday, September 02, 2004 (5) 600.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2023
    chelloveck likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7