An interesting revolver for preppers

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by GOG, May 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

If you want to stay with the same caliber, there is always the SAA in .45 Colt and the Lightning (copy) Rifle in the same caliber.

Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Saddle rifles are a little shorter than a most rifles. I can't remember if you can get them in a .45 Caliber...

Gator 45/70, GOG and oldman11 like this.
  3. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

Yes, a lot of the copies, 1866, 1873, Lightning all come in short versions and hold 10 rounds

4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I notice that my .357 mag puma is significantly shorter than my .454 puma . but it is likely due to a difference in powder being used .
    The .454 handles .45 cal as well so it is a bit more versatile .
    The nice thing about lever guns is the loading gate allows one to refresh the load at any time so if you shoot 3 you can add three and have a full magazine with out breaking things down or swapping mags .

GOG and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. deMolay

deMolay Monkey+

Yah I have a Rossi in 45 lc colt and 45 lc revolver. The wife has a ruger .357mag that takes 38 and 38 spec as well and a Rossi .357 mag rifle. The Rossi rifles will take the plus ammo or the hot Buffalo Bore ammo. The nice thing about the 45lc is they can also be reloaded with Black Powder.

oldman11, GOG and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just so you know, ANY Center-fired Cartridge can be loaded with BP... It is just that the loadings will have to be determined, as many were NOT held over from the Old Days, or the Cartridge didn't exist back in the BP days....

3cyl, deMolay, oldman11 and 1 other person like this.
  7. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

The only thing I don’t have is the equipment to load blackpowder,mainly blackpowder itself. But I have made blackpowder before,and it’s not really hard todo.
    [flag]

deMolay, GOG and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. BTPost

I buy my BP from a Mountainman Supply Outfit... They sell 1Pound cans, 5 Pound cans, and 25 Pound casks...

deMolay, GOG and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Thanks for the tip for the BP.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

Just remember that the black powder loads, even though stated in grains, were measured by volume.

deMolay, Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  11. BTPost

And Grain Size....

deMolay, Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  12. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

For hand guns it is FFFF

deMolay and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

4f is for priming pans on flint lock muzzle loaders of all types. DO NOT USE in front loading guns as the main charge. Now, if you are loading cartridges for any other gun, you need to find some reliable load recipes, and use judiciously. Taking a broad statement like above and running with it is apt to produce, ah, less than desirable results.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    3cyl, deMolay, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  14. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

FFF is pistol to .50 odd caliber, where there is a little overlap with FF.

15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Again, that is for front stuffers. As merkun notes, cartridge loads are an entirely different kettle of fish. Randomly filling brass with something flammable is likely to produce work for plastic surgeons.

Crossing up muzzle loaders with cartridge firearms is a really BAD idea.

16. deMolay

deMolay Monkey+

Good to know. I like that the 45 is known quantity in regards to BP.

Some of you may like this article on BP cartridges and rolling your own. Lots of load recipes and info for 38 and 45 in BP out there which is why I like these 2 cal. Don't have to do a lot of experimenting. Of course in a shtf yes you can make bp but what about primers?Shooting Black Powder Firearms | Reloading Black Powder Cartridges

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2019
    GOG and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

thanks for the link

18. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

10,000 primers don't take up much space. Large pistol for the .45, small pistol for the .357 or if you're really old fashioned a whole bunch of caps for a cap 'n ball wheel gun. A Walker Colt or 2nd Dragoon packs a pretty mean punch.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I picked up a NIB stainless Old Army yesterday & last night I ordered a Taylor's conversion cylinder & some pre-rolled cowboy loads.
    Powder, ball, wads, etc. are also inbound

I think it might be a very versatile sidearm for folks who like to have backup & insurance. Certainly worth considering.

20190510_094723.

20. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Lucky dog!

Gator 45/70, oldman11 and GOG like this.
  1. Oddcaliber
  2. chelloveck
  3. OldDude49
  4. Seacowboys
  5. GOG
  6. Motomom34
  7. chelloveck
  8. Hispeedal2
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7