Ancestry.com RootsWeb has exposed user info

Discussion in 'Technical' started by sec_monkey, Dec 29, 2017.

1. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

Monkeys beware

Ancestry.com said it closed portions of its community-driven genealogy site RootsWeb as it investigated a leaky server that exposed 300,000 passwords, email addresses and usernames to the public internet.

2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Crap......someone now knows that I am grade A mutt!!!!!

3. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

funny YD .. ya never know ya might be the Queens 8th cousin

this can lead to phishing, identity theft, plus other bad stuff n things :(

since most folks are lazy stealing the Ancestry.com RootsWeb passwords can allow them to steal paypal, ebay or bank accounts

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Did my own genealogy search. Anything earlier than the 1700s I really do NOT care about.

5. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I am not on this site as a member... give a rip.... I have my genealogy.

6. duane

duane Monkey+++

Have a problem with Ancestry etc, the Lakota were not known for their written records and somehow in the destruction of their way of life and culture, most of the verbal history was lost. Have always thought that the Jewish custom of tracing back through your mother showed a good handle on the realities of life in the real world.

sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

8. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

Hmmmppphhh
    Another Stupid Admin trick.
    Ancestry.com makes extensive use of Amazon Web Service (AWS) for compute and data storage purposes. I would bet dollars to a stale plain donut that they put the less active, or cold accounts in an S3 bucket to lower the storage costs. AND left the default setting for public access. Exactly the same thing Verizon, Accenture, Dow Jones, and others have done.
    I don't have an account with Ancestry, but gross stupidity like this infuriates me...

Ganado and chelloveck like this.
  9. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Does this mean everyone will now know that I’m from Nantucket? :D

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Ganado likes this.
  10. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Yeah when they check your DNA and match it up to a murder or you may be the cure for what ever it's a data base to keep track of who is who and what can be used to fix some one else

Ganado likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7