Ancient technology still in use today

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DKR, Sep 18, 2020.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Readers should note that this technology predates the introduction/imposition of Islam.

Meat and Ganado like this.
  2. DKR

Waterwheels - predate Roman usage. Still, they made it look good...
    [​IMG]

found Syria - Hama
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

in action today

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    Meat likes this.
  3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

That is why its called 'Persian' technology.

Meat likes this.
  4. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Atlatl, sling, staff sling. Haven't seen them in Portland... yet. Ideal indirect fire siege machines.

Sticks, strings and a pocket. I really prefer a medium length shovel handle for the staff sling, since I launch projectiles heavy enough to strain the staff a bit. With practice you will find a staff and sling length that fits you best. There are many different release methods, and I use two. Primary is a notch and knot at the end of the staff, with a loop around the end being a back-up should the notch split. The trouble I have around here is a lack of rocks. Plenty of sand, but very few rocks.
    [​IMG]

Staff sling will easily throw a soup can twice as far as anyone with a good arm can throw, and can be really nasty at close range if loaded with gravel, nails, or wheel weights.

Meat, Gray Wolf, SB21 and 1 other person like this.
  5. DKR

Staff sling throw weight

roll your own

and proof that folks with OCD (or Boffins) can make a good video

and as for regular 'shepherds slings'

Meat likes this.
  6. hot diggity

Great video, but Oh my! 43 minutes on how to make a staff sling!

My directions would likely be two minutes, and involve only only one old boot, a shovel and a file. That's what I always used, since leather boot laces are quite long and boot tongue leather is already pocket shaped. I guess my slings have all been Red Wing Boot based. The only thing technical about them is the pocket holes. I cut the pocket into points on each end and make the hole well in from the point. Then I roll the pointed end toward the hole and tie the laces on there. This prevents pocket failure.

Worst pocket failure was on a six foot long sling, last twirl before release. Pocket failed at the back arc of the twirl. Stone went through the living room wall and into a closet. Dad wasn't pleased.

That may be how I became a staff slinger. The arc of danger is much narrower.

Meat likes this.
  7. hot diggity

IMG_20201011_163354. I just recalled the benefit of the notch in the end of the staff sling. You can carry it "loaded", with the sling against the staff.and never foul the release end.

Looks like a walking stick. My sling is the same sling I use without the staff. No changes needed to go from one configuration to another.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  8. DKR

Meat and Gray Wolf like this.
  9. DKR

Can a sling kill a human?
    Yes, a sling could kill a person with one shot. To the accuracy and range, in the roman army a well trained bowman was considered equal to an equally trained slinger. The slingers had an advantage in more power per shot, regularly smashing bones without any visible damage to the skin, and being far cheaper.

Can the Shepards Sling be lethal on one throw?

Meat, Gray Wolf and hot diggity like this.
  10. DKR

Meat likes this.
  11. hot diggity

egyptian.

Meat likes this.
  12. hot diggity

feature1-fig1.
    Terra cotta lamps from early Rome.

I think these are way cooler than anything from the Home Shopping Network, but they're the predecessors of modern wick lamps and candles.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    Meat likes this.
  13. DKR

Meat and hot diggity like this.
  14. hot diggity

[​IMG]
    Pottery hasn't changed much at all since ancient times.

Meat and Ganado like this.
  15. Ezel

Ezel Monkey

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    Meat, Gray Wolf and Ganado like this.
  16. DKR

Back in the day (like stone age and onward) , people were just as smart as they are today.

The difference is "State of the Art"

The modern transistor was described and patented in 1938 - as a model. Once the State of the Art in chemistry caught up- we had transistors. Big ones but they worked. Now they are micro etched on a substrate.

When what you have to work with is rock....you can still make
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    big stuff vice little stuff.

Gator 45/70, Ganado and ghrit like this.
  17. Seeing many wonders still standing and operating to this day really makes you marvel at the wisdom of ancient civilizations.

Meat, Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  18. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Hippocrates during the roman era developed the method of turning over the lense in the eye thus restoring vision,
    The tools he developed are copied today.

Meat, Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  19. DKR

Everything old is new again - the Tidal mills of England

Milling grain using the tidal difference as head for turning waterwheels. - pre-1800s.

Meat, Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Slings are absolutely deadly. They were used in warfare for at least thousands of years.
    Range was around 300 yards for me when I was 14 years old. Accuracy was good enough to make people seek cover and concealment.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    Meat, Cruisin Sloth and SB21 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7