and another FlatLander finds out the Alaskan Bush.....

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by BTPost, Jul 4, 2016.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

So expect the initial die off to start after about 10 days.
    Got it.

Salted Weapon, oldawg and chelloveck like this.
  2. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

And worse.... they reproduce.

Altoidfishfins likes this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

The arrogance in this thread is really annoying. Arrogance may not be the correct word but I am using it. He had a plan, it fell through. First off, he was supposed to meet someone, experts say do not go into the wilds alone. That is a huge issue. The Russian was not at fault that his partner failed to show up. His phone did not work, he was assured it would work in that area but the only way to know for sure is to go out there and test it, which he did.

^^^^ looks like a Survival Monkey must have in your pack list.

He survived 9 days, he knew he was in trouble and knew he needed to get help, get out. I have a feeling a high percentage of us would be categorized as a dumbass flat-lander like Vlad.

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I am puzzled about one thing, he intended to float out. Yet, if you squint really hard, there's an airfield about 20 miles south of his location. Over land, yes, but far shorter than 130 miles by water. Were it me, overland would have been a real possibility. 'Course, I do NOT know if the airfield is or was active --.

That said, he did make some rookie mistakes, especially in the area of comms and getting someone to check on him.

5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@Motomom34 its called arm chair quarterbacking. Its a guy thing =)

chelloveck, Motomom34 and AD1 like this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

LOL! I call it Couch Commandos. We here at SM can take Vlad's experience, break it apart and examine the fails. We can brainstorm what was lacking, where mistakes were made or we can look down at our noses and be the next victims.

I think @MountainMariner had an excellent point regarding topo- maps prior to purchase. When buying any property, if you cannot view personally, you should research to the best you can because the seller (in this case State of Alaska) may gloss over some of the important details.

chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  7. MountainMariner

MountainMariner Clearly Ambiguous

Alaska State Land Sales is pretty clear on the buyers responsibilities:

Alaska State Land Sales

I think this particular guys problem was:

1. He believed he could start living off the land immediately even though his first month or two should have been spent building a cabin. Not hunting, fishing or foraging for food. He did not bring enough food.

2. He missed his mommy and could not call her on his satellite phone. Which brings us back to #1, ALL his time should have been spent building shelter, not on the phone. And in that process he would gain his firewood to cook all the food he should have brought in with him. Which in my opinion would be 2-3 months worth, not 9 days worth.

ghrit likes this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

If one important piece of a plan does not come together it's not so bad .but having secondary pieces of the plan fail it gets far more critical.
    His plan would have worked ,had every one not lied to him.
    He has grounds for lawsuit on at least 2 issues.
    But you and I know that in this world you cannot rely on people even with the best of intentions.
    He was not honestly informed over the conditions and that is critical need to know information. (who said that) ?
    He was smart to take action when too many things were going wrong .
    Me on the other hand, am too stubborn to let set backs detour my objective. I am accustomed to working alone and working by my self ,and not opposed to asking for help either.
    I might have been better prepared ,but at 19 I may have made some of the same mistakes .

9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Well, I am done with this thread.

10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

You can't tell a lot from the USGS Topo Maps, and ADF&G Herd Maps, about the area, he was in... He found, when he got there, that there weren't any Trees, big enough to cut down, to build a cabin with...... This is very typical of Alaska Tundra terrain. The trees grow near the Rivers, NOT near the Lakes. Same with the Fish.... Most of those lakes do NOT have fish in them. They are Ice Melt Lakes, that have NO Inlet, or Outlets, for the fish to migrate into them, and they freeze solid, in the winters. He picked the WRONG Place to buy, which was his very FIRST Mistake. No Hunting in the summers, so that was out, for Food Resupply... Can't bring more than 5USG of Gas, on a Bush Plane, with Passengers, and that isn't enough, to build the Cabin, anyway, even if he had the Trees. I have seen plenty of these Yahoos, try and pull off this type of deal, over they years. 95% of them Fail, and those that make it thru the first summer, usually BUG OUT the first of October, and come back again the next May. It takes a couple of years to build the Infrastructure required for Year-Round Alaskan Bush Living, from scotch on Raw Land, even in the BEST Conditions. There just are NOT enough "Hours in the Day" even with 18Hour Days, to get done what needs to be done, and one certainly can NOT pack enough stuff in a Float Plane, to sustain that type of living, for the 3 month Building Season, in that country.....

Part of the Blame, is on the Bush Pilot..... He should have known, the guy was under-Prepared for what he was Planning... and then dropped by, after a week, to check on the Dude... All the Bush Pilots, I have flown with, wouldn't have just left the Guy out there, like that. They would have warned him, and then told him, that they would fly over in a week, and if he was in trouble, to make a signal near the Camp on the Lake that could be seen from the Air, and then checked up on him after a week.....

chelloveck, Ganado and techsar like this.
  11. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

You can do a search of our archives and find countless stories such as this but not all with a rescue ending. One that I though of immediately was death of James Kim that we discussed in the thread "What would you have done differently?"

Also highly publicized was the story of the Stolpa family being trapped in a snowbound vehicle. There was the case of the husband and wife who tried survival in Montana only to meet disaster in their first winter when their wood ran out and they were unable/unprepared to replenish their stores.

Many, many cases down here in the lower 48 alone that have been discussed through the years. I think we have one main reason for discussing and dissecting them: we want to learn from the mistakes of others. Every case has a component that differs slightly from the others and I hope to absorb those little details.

We all hope that we will make perfect decisions every time, even just good decisions, but as fallible human beings, the best we can hope for is to learn as much as we can and reduce the number of mistakes.

chelloveck and ghrit like this.
  12. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

When I was in CAP, we were taught 1/2 of what you pack in will break, be lost or fail when you need it if it doesn't well goody for you.
    If they do you fail you should have a plan B to the items you bring, yes and even that will fail and that when skill comes in to save your arse.
    I am a huge logistics type person so ate this kinda stuff up, plan a,b,c,d,e lol .Still the biggest issue is when you are alone making crucial problem solving, your cold, its getting dark, your thirsty, hungry all make the simplest things get bigger and bigger.
    Its like people whom live in Oregon, going anywhere even 10 miles away from town, water, jacket, hat, gloves, flashlight every car should have and most here do just from crap that happens and how far even on normal roads you can be without help for awhile, having water and being warm makes even a 3-4 wait for a tow truck better, having jerky even better :) Love outdoors but to me its like the ocean and fire 100% respect for mother-nature as she can knock you the heck out in one blow!

13. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

I resent that. I'm in a hammock. :D

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7