and It Begins... 20-year-old sues Dick’s, Walmart over new Sales policies

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by BTPost, Mar 6, 2018.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

20-year-old sues Dick’s, Walmart over new gun policies
    Posted: Mar 06, 2018 2:12 AM AKSTUpdated: Mar 06, 2018 2:43 AM AKST

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) -- An Oregon man filed suits Monday claiming Dick’s Sporting Goods and Walmart discriminated against the 20-year-old when they refused to sell him a rifle.

Dick’s and Walmart restricted gun sales to adults 21 and older in the wake of the Florida high school massacre. The 19-year-old accused in the school slaying bought the AR-15 used in the attack legally.

Oregon law allows residents to buy shotguns or rifles starting at age 18.

Tyler Watson’s lawsuits filed against the retailers in two separate counties claim he faced age discrimination from Dick’s and Walmart, The Oregonian/OregonLive reported. The lawsuit is believed to be the first filed over the new gun policies enacted on Feb. 28.

The lawsuit claims a store owned by Dick’s Sporting Goods in Medford, Oregon, refused to sell Watson .22-caliber Ruger rifle on Feb. 24. The suit says Grants Pass Walmart in Oregon refused to sell him a gun on March 3.

It’s not clear if Watson knew at that point of the restrictions.

“He was really just trying to buy a rifle,” said his attorney Max Whittington.

Watson is asking judges to force Dick’s and Walmart “to stop unlawfully discriminating against 18, 19, and 20 year-old customers at all Oregon locations.” Additionally, he is asking for unspecified punitive damages.

Walmart spokesman Randy Hargrove said the retailer plans to defend the new policy.

“We stand behind our decision and plan to defend it,” he said. “While we haven’t seen the complaint, we will respond as appropriate with the court.”

A representative from Dick’s hasn’t responded to a request for comment.

2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Although I find today's litigious society over the top, I hope he prevails to the point that Dicks and Walmart actually get hurt...50% of their annual profits would work. Make examples of them both!

3. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Agreed, this should prove to be very interesting case.

Seepalaces likes this.
  4. BTPost

As I wrote in a different Post, Oregon has an AGE Discrimination Statute, on the Books, and if I recall correctly, it calls from Court Fees Attorney Fees, AND Treble Damages... That would put a DENT in the Bottom Line, and cause the StockHolders to wince once the Judgement hit the MSM...

5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I sense a patented Legislative Emergency about to happen in Oregon. Predict much stricter regulations than a buying age of 21. The gun grabbers in the Oregon Legislature now have a super majority with a few key Republican defections and can do whatever they want.

I expect this will go against Mr. Watson as we have seen court bias as a given and guarantee juries will be packed with MDA members. I don't see the 9th circuit court siding with him either, so the only way he can win is through the Supreme Court. By that time he will be 21, but there will be no useful guns he can purchase in Oregon.

Seepalaces likes this.
  6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Kid needs to file a class action suit, go after the VP and the CEO! They are the ones who do all these things, time they felt it personally! Kowing Dicks as I do, these things always come down from Corp. And store managers are spineless whimps who follow orders because of the $100,000 a year +bonuses they get!

Seepalaces and 3M-TA3 like this.
  7. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

They were ill advised to do this anyway. The voting age is 18, a person is considered an adult at 18, men are required to register for the Draft at 18, the age of legal consent is 18, a person may legally enter into a contractual agreement at age 18. Looking for the legal challenge for handgun ownership to get caught up in this as well as a challenge to the legal drinking age in some States.

8. BTPost

@3M-TA3 and @Mountainman
    Unfortunately for the Oregon Lawmakers and Judges, they already have this Statute on the Books, and the Suit is already filed... AND It was filed in the Grants Pass District State Court, which is a very Heavily Republican District... So it would need to make it thru that Court, FIRST, and then Appealed up thru the State Court System... The Statute is Hard to deal with, from the Stores Point of view, as the Policy, is Plainly Stated, and Acknowledged by the Store, and it can't be changed as far as this Suit is concerned, as it is Filed...

I would be very interested in MountainMan's take on this as it is local to him...

Seepalaces and Ura-Ki like this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

If they want to sell to 21 and up then they should change the law.

The drinking age in other parts of the world is under 21 and they do just fine.

Seepalaces likes this.
  10. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Dicks has another issue, one that I have pointed out to the lawyers privately, they have a serious man hater P.N.W. district manager who was a former corprate manager for Nike world, who was "Let go" under less then stellar reasons. She is the one who likely took the ball and ran with it and instructed her store managers to comply! I also know She was the one to pull the AR rifles before Corp. made it offical, and she got into some trouble with a 2nd group for that, I know, I was one of the former emoyees involved that the group questioned about it! There are also ongoing labor disputes that I cannot comment on, but they are pretty big! Time for them to burn!

Oddcaliber, Seepalaces and Dont like this.
  11. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I guess I am going against the grain here but I will bet that the court rules Dick's has the right to sell or not sell guns to whomever.

Now, having said that, IF that is the court's ruling then I hope that the Christian couple in Portland, that refused to sell a cake to the gay couple, take the County and the State to court for $10+ million in damages because the court has just opened the State and Local government to damages.

On the other hand, if the Court states Dick's is in the wrong and they must sell and/or be sued for discrimination then the kid gets his gun.

My point here is they cannot have a double standard...and no matter what the court rules - well - they have painted themselves into a corner because of their ridiculous previous rulings. This will be an interesting case and worth following. They will either have to reverse themselves, eat crow, which they won't do, or give grounds for suits against State and Local government. LOL!!!! I wouldn't settle for less than $5M LOL!!!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    techsar, Tempstar and Ura-Ki like this.
  12. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Have been monitoring the gun groups down here and Dicks, along with Bi Mart and Walmart are taking a lot of heat. The appropriately named Dicks is getting the brunt of it with most people saying they will never shop there again. Bi Mart is small enough that they can be ignored, but the Walmart superstores are hard to stay out of because of the lack of other low priced shopping.

Have not made it into Dicks yet and have a rewards card with credit on it. Going to go in and use my credit, since it is using their money, then ask to see the manager and hand over my card letting them know I will never be back.

Yard Dart, 3M-TA3, Bandit99 and 3 others like this.
  13. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I was surprised that Bi-Mart was not also named in the suit, but as you have said @Mountainman; they are a small locally owned operation.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  14. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

The real issue with Bimart is the anti gun stance they have taken. I have always shopped them, especially for deals on ammo, but if they were a part of this dustup, I'm not supporting them, and my sales receipts with them would convince them of the ill way they are heading! Sad really, I always liked Bimart!

Mountainman and 3M-TA3 like this.
  15. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Better to go after the big stores if you want a chance to have it in the news, but will not be holding my breath that lamestream will do any more then maybe mention it. Almost guaranteed the lawyer does not give a shit and is looking at the dollar signs.

Oddcaliber and Ura-Ki like this.
  16. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Oh...one of those useless snow flake milleniels i keep hearing about in this forum suing Dick's and Walmart? ....oh that is terrible...I guess he'll be demanding a 2A safe zone where he will be safe from gun control advocacy next....LMFAO. :lol:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  17. I don't know a great deal about laws and litigation, but wouldn't be better to sue the company with shallowest pockets first. Win against them, Get a precedent set. Then sue in order of size, smaller to larger.

18. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

They can refuse to sell him a rifle because he is wearing a green shirt. Or blue. I don't see this going very far.

19. BTPost

Yes, they can... But if they refuse due to his AGE, then they are in Direct Violation of the Oregon State Statute... That can have serious consequences... It will ALL depend how the COUNTER PERSON, dealt with the Kid... I sure hope he got the exchange on Video...

Dunerunner, Mountainman and Ura-Ki like this.
  20. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Do we know exacty which stores this went down in? I see region, but not specific location! Reason I ask, I may actually s know the players in this, and that could be pretty useful info to have!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7