Animal Farm 2009 and beyond.....

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by Clyde, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

Friends,

I had a thought this morning about our direction in this country. Wouldn't it be fun to take a few weeks to read the book, kind of like a book club, and discuss the similarities of the allegory with today's put together our own Animal Farm cast of characters from today's government?

If you are interested, please let me know as I am looking to exercise my mind.

2. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

One of my favorite books Clyde. I'm in.

3. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

"How'bout "the federalist papers" (link in the reading room?) been meaning to read those anyway.

4. Clyde

That can be done in another thread, I want to keep this on the Topic above try and relate it to current events. You are welcome to lead that discussion if you so choose.

Clyde

5. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I haven't read that since high school (the one year of HS I went to). I really don't remember much about it. I'll pick up a copy next time I'm in town.

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I'm in. Haven't read it since high school, but there were a couple dinner table go 'rounds with parenti at the time. Mom was a hard core rightist, and Pop only slightly less so.

7. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

gotta find a copy..( its here on one of the shelves somewhere)

8. ghrit

9. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Thanks man Dewey and his decimal system never made it past the moat here...

10. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

You can also go to our Links page, scroll down about 3/4 and find "Audio Books" where you will find links to Animal Farm

Survivalmonkey Links Page

11. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

I was never forced to read it in high school. I guess now's a good time.

What is the "finish reading" deadline?

12. RightHand

Tracy, I can almost guarantee that you will finish it in an afternoon. It's a short book to begin with and so good you won't stretch it out. Anyone who enjoys a good allegory will love this tale

DuxDawg likes this.
  13. WestPointMAG

WestPointMAG Monkey++

We had to watch the film version of this book when I was in HS.
    Keep in mind that our locker had no locks, most of the boys carried knives on there belts, took guns to school and made working cannons in shop class. Nothing ever got stolen from our lockers and no one got shot or stabbed. Some how I think this is all connected.

beast likes this.
  14. Clyde

I know it is a short read, lets discuss the first few chapters beginning on Monday.

15. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Sounds good. Supposed to rain all weekend. Give me a chance to finish it.
    BTW, this will be only the second book I have ever read online. The other was Halffast's Lights Out. I guess I'm old fashioned, I would rather have the real thing. Guess I could have printed it out and stapled the pages together.... naw, not the same.

16. ghrit

Or maybe download it and read while off line. Might do that myself. Not wild about scrolling on screen, but it's cheaper than printing it out.

17. RightHand

Am I the only library prowler left in the world??? As a certified bibliophile, used book stores and libraries are better than a Saturday night on the town.

DuxDawg likes this.
  18. ghrit

A hard drive takes less dusting than a bookshelf, eh wot?

19. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Funding has made access to the library prohibitive for me. Our hours conflict.

Heck, I recently waited 3 weeks for a book [that I had on hold] to get here. I was so excited when the call came in! Then; I couldn't get to the library to pick it up during open hours. I Lost it. :mad:

20. RightHand

That's very sad Tracy. But worry not! I'm sure that a single note to our new president will result in a massive bailout and your library will soon be open 24 hours a day. The federal government needs some cultural endeavors to balance out the auto and banking industry acquisitions it has recently made. There will be sufficient funds to add all sorts of new books to the shelves. I hear The Joy of Marxism is becoming required reading. You might even get home delivery service since it would be an equalizing benefit for the underprivileged.

bassic likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7