Another kind of close call

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DKR, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

My wife had two cuff surgeries. After the first was repaired, she didn't follow the proper PT protocol and she tore the same one again after a couple of years. The Dr. warned her that he may be able to fix it again, but if she tore it a third time she may be just plain SOL.

She went through the second surgery. The Dr. said he had to clip the torn end off and very forcefully stretch the tendon in order to try to get it to reach so that he could re-attach it. He also used a different method of re-attachment. Recovery took months and was extremely painful. This time it looks as if it's going to hold as she went to every effort to follow her PT program.

You're right to try PT first.

DKR and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

One cuff, repaired, did all the PT asked for and then some. Redid it the following year, the surgeon screwed up. I think the insco had him for lunch, but I was transferred before that, if it did happen at all. After a "few" years of recoil punishment, I should have it done again. Well, I don't like pain these days, where it was a nothing back then.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

my new fight song

4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@DKR the insurance, her insurance will start pressing you for a settlement before a year is up.... dont sign anything until after at least one year.and keep submitting the bills to them, the reason i say this is that in an injury like this, statistically other injuries can crop up up to 12-18 months later.... and the insurance companies know this, its why they start pressing you to sighn a waiver with a settlement before a year is up.

just a suggestion for you ...

im glad you did not have a head injury those are a biatch

DKR and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

I'm getting my own copy of *all* medical records before I authorize any kind of release. of information.

I'm in no hurry, so far no out of pocket expenses except for OTC pain meds.

Be interesting to see what the offer is, if any, for my pain, lost work time and inconvenience for the DR visits. And yes, I am tracking that in 15 min increments...just in case.

I worked in an ER for a lot of years - always wear the PPE for the sport. Being a drooling idiot is not something I want to inflict on my DW....well - any worse than I am now anyway : )

Ganado, ghrit and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7