Another Marlin in the safe.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Oddcaliber, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Got my lay a way out from the pawnshop today. Marlin 30AW in 30/30 . Basically a less expensive version of the 336. Birch wood stock, post front bead sight, crossbolt safety. Came with scope mount and a Tasco scope made in Japan. Manufactured in 1990 so its not a Remlin! LOL. Has a cheap sling for now but that's subject to change in the future. Rubber butt pad with the Marlin horse and rider emblem in it. A bit rough but a very serviceable utilitarian rifle. $200.00 OTD!

wideym, SB21, Sapper John and 3 others like this.
  2. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Good dependable truck gun :)

techsar, Gator 45/70 and Oddcaliber like this.
  3. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

And .30-30 can fire cast-lead bullets and are easily reloaded. They will even shoot black powder!

Thunder5Ranch, techsar, 3cyl and 2 others like this.
  4. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Well, yes and no. 30 30 Winchester was one of the first smokeless power loads. Don't know for sure if any black powder load data is out there for it .

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Sure, there are BP loadings for 30:30 Winchester... I like 50 Grains of FFF BP under a 130 grain Jacketed Flat-nosed Projectile.... I worked that up 50 years ago, when I first got into BP, learning with Ted Fellows as my proctor... Really pissed off the “Fish & Feathers Guys” when they tried to pinch me for using a “Modern” FireArm... My Model 1894 with BP Loads fit the definition, even back then...

6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Better send me that Dirty 30 for safe keeping.....

Also I can blow up a pigs a$$ if I see one tomorrow or this weekend....lol

7. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Oh yeah,,, I smell a pig pickin' happenin' at Gators place this weekend ,, a couple pots fulla mudbugs and some steamed oysters ,, we got us a party ,,, dont forget the squeezins' ,,,

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7