Another "Pax's Peeves" rant...

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Pax Mentis, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Again recently (on a gun forum, not here...though I have also seen it on this forum) I saw someone "correcting" another who had referred to a revolver as a pistol.

Revolvers are pistols...they have been pistols since long before autoloaders were invented...even when handguns fired one shot and were loaded through the muzzle, they were pistols.

There are basically 2 types of pistols...revolvers and autoloaders (unless you wish to include "machine pistols" as a third type).

I'm not sure where so many people got the idea that the 2 types of handguns were revolvers and pistols, but I think they should quit "correcting" those who actually have it right. The category pistol is inclusive of both revolvers and autoloaders...as well as single shot types.

/end rant

[stirpot]

2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Some just like to control others, most of those end up as POLLY-ticians.

Those others that are rooted out and cannot find employment at the public tit are reduced to using the all new Al Gore Internet.

YMMV

3. Redneck Rebel

Redneck Rebel Monkey++

I blame Taurus
    Capture.PNG

tulianr likes this.
  4. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

I don't let those types get under my skin, if they want to be persistant, I place said individuals on my ignore list and that's that.

As I get older, I find that my pet peeves just don't really get to me anymore, and if a person just wants to argue, I turn around and just walk away.

dragonfly likes this.
  5. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Years ago a friend of mine and I were at a gun range and one of those types popped up. She was shooting an old Colt double 9 of mine, and I had her Colt .45 Defender. The Defender had an annoying habit of ejecting the shell casings directly back at your head, and after one hot shell cut a nice circle into my right eyebrow, I thrust the damn thing back at her and said "Enough of this $*# gimme back my pistol!"

A guy I had never seen before took it upon himself to come up to us and announce "Ladies, that is a REVOLVER, not a PISTOL. A PISTOL is what YOU (pointing to me) are shooting now. You should make an effort to learn the difference!"

Well dip me in s$*# and call me a chocolate banana! In all the years I'd been going to ranges, we'd never met anyone who was anything but super nice and helpful, so this pompous twit threw us off. We stared at him like he wasn't wearing pants for a few minutes. Suddenly my friend handed over my peashooter, then cocked her head and put a finger in her cheek and took on a little girl voice and said "Ok so um like I get the difference between like, a REVOLVER and a PISTOL now, but like, what confuses me is, how do you know if someone is like, an AS$%&*E or just a garden variety DOUCHEBAG? OMG I need to make an effort to learn this!" My friend was nearly 6' tall and she was the opposite of girly so to see her mincing and flouncing about like an overheated cheerleader while debating the differences was more than he could stomach. He left the building while I was still snorting and giggling at her.

Some people take themselves WAAAAY too seriously.

JABECmfg, Seawolf1090, oldawg and 6 others like this.
  6. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Well I agree with Pax about pistols and revolvers being the same thing, but when I went to get my CCW, many, many, many years ago, the "test" had a bunch of questions like "Pistols have cylinders - yes or no, and why" The correct answer was "No, relvolvers have cylinders, pistols are single shot or self loading." The "instuctor" told me that I was the only person in history to get 100% on the test. Personally I don't get to excited about it. When some idiot wants to "correct" me about things they obviously know nothing about. I just nod and say "Really? OK." Of course I concider offending the stupid and idiots full of themselves as a public service.

Aint we got the idiots on our side? Aint that a majority anywhere? - Mark Twain
    Say you are an idiot. Say you are also opposed to Legion, but I repeat myself. - Mark Twain (paraphrased)
    Read the Legion Five Report at Legionfivereportblogspot.blog

7. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

OK, at times I DO correct the way people say things, as words mean things. For example, SAKO (the rifle company) is pronounced SOCK-O, Say-co is a watch. Makarov is pronounced ma-KAR-ov, not MAK-a-rov. Heckler and Koch is pronounced Heckler and COKE, not "kahch".

Aint we got the idiots on our side? Aint that a majority anywhere? - Mark Twain
    Say you are an idiot. Say you are also opposed to Legion, but I repeat myself. - Mark Twain (paraphrased)
    Read the Legion Five Report at Legionfivereportblogspot.blog[/quote]

8. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Magazines and Clips...but what difference does it really make? I correct friends if I can manage it tactfully and ignore it the rest of the time. Strangers and acquaintances? Just don't care if they sound ignorant or not, don't have a dog in that hunt.

oldawg likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7