Another Place to Die

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by Minuteman, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I ordered James Wesley Rawles latest
    "How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It"
    I am only half way through it but I can tell already that it will be a staple in my survival library.

In the "those who bought this also bought" ads on Amazon I saw this book by Sam North. I just finished reading it and it is really good. It deals with a worldwide flu pandemic and those who survive it. While it isn't really written from a preppers mindset, it does show how society could come unravelled very fast. It was a spooky scenario that could happen all to easily. The only downside I found was that there wasn't any real survival knowledge to be gained from it. And it is written by a Canadian author and parts of it were frustrating for an American survival minded person to read. For example hardly anyone has guns. The survivors carry sticks to fend off wild dogs and rats in the cities. And some of it is wishful thinking where survival is concerned. For example some of the characters hole up in a luxury hotel and survive by barricading the doors and they run the generators and raid the restaraunt for food and are "safe" from the outside. Yeah, ok.
    Like I said it isn't for in depth survival knowledge but what I found appealing about it was the breakdown of society and how people began to relate to each other when anyone you meet could be carrying death with them. Very realistic in that regard.

A good doomer read.

"Another Place to Die" by Sam North

Product Description
    Another Place to Die is a vivid account of individuals caught up in a worldwide flu pandemic. Set in Vancouver, Canada, this is a terrifying and realistic scenario of people facing the horror of a killer virus that will kill millions. Everything your Government said would protect you is a lie. Make a choice. Escape to a safe place or tough it out. As martial law is declared and soldiers have orders to shoot anyone breaking curfew, normal life begins to break down. Mass burial pits are being dug. Everyone is afraid of each other. The Pandemic is coming. Where will you go? Where exactly is safe? Another Place To Die is an essential survival manual everyone should read.

http://www.amazon.com/reader/1847538991/187-2328940-9182244?_encoding=UTF8&ref_=sib%5Fbooks%5Fpg&qid=1260040182&query=another%20place%20to%20die#reader_1847538991

For real in depth survival knowledge I highly recommend Rawle's new book. I am reading it now and it is great info. I have already come across several things that I had not thought of. Read it with a highliter in hand!!

Product Description
    The definitive guide on how to prepare for any crisis--from global financial collapse to a pandemic

It would only take one unthinkable event to disrupt our way of life. If there is a terrorist attack, a global pandemic, or sharp currency devaluation--you may be forced to fend for yourself in ways you've never imagined. Where would you get water? How would you communicate with relatives who live in other states? What would you use for fuel?

Survivalist expert James Wesley, Rawles, author of Patriots and editor of SurvivalBlog.com, shares the essential tools and skills you will need for you family to survive, including:

Water: Filtration, transport, storage, and treatment options.
    Food Storage: How much to store, pack-it-yourself methods, storage space and rotation, countering vermin.
    Fuel and Home Power: Home heating fuels, fuel storage safety, backup generators.
    Garden, Orchard Trees, and Small Livestock: Gardening basics, non-hybrid seeds, greenhouses; choosing the right livestock.
    Medical Supplies and Training: Building a first aid kit, minor surgery, chronic health issues.
    Communications: Following international news, staying in touch with loved ones.
    Home Security: Your panic room, self-defense training and tools.
    When to Get Outta Dodge: Vehicle selection, kit packing lists, routes and planning.
    Investing and Barter: Tangibles investing, building your barter stockpile. And much more.

How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It is a must-have for every well-prepared family.

Amazon.com: How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It: Tactics, Techniques, and Technologies for Uncertain Times (9780452295834): James Wesley Rawles: Books

2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I agree, it is an excellent book.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7