Another reason I do not raise Goats

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by HK_User, Apr 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

The Cattleman Now » Black-capped vireo delisted from endangered species list

Goats are not native to the US, they are very destructive to our native bird population.
    During our recent Ice Storm I discovered one of these birds all fuzzed out on the ground and knowing it had been on the endangered list I brought it inside for the night. Sorry to say it did not make it.
    upload_2018-4-18_16-50-48.
    I'll search my camera and see if I can find the pic.

As shown, this bird has a very small area to survive in.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

From the link:
    Goat do tend to eat everything but they are great to have if you need a lot cleared.

Gator 45/70 and UncleMorgan like this.
  3. duane

duane Monkey+++

Goats have done about as much damage in Asia, Africa, and the middle east to the environment as the plague has done to public health. The people can and will raise them and survive off of them until the last tree, bush, blade of grass is gone and the last yard of fertile soil has washed away and left nothing but floods and desert..

Motomom34, Gator 45/70, Zimmy and 2 others like this.
  4. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

There is some support for the theory that the Greek empire fell because they brought in goats, which denuded the land and ate every tree that tried to sprout.

The Greeks were already hitting their wood resources very hard to build and maintain their navy.

When the goats ate all the seedlings, reforestation became impossible.

No wood, no navy.

Forty years later they were a minor power again.

5. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I will personally donate $500 to the Goats without Borders fund today. I believe every Asian, African, and Middle Easterner should have the benefit of a personal goat

6. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Wife?

Tully Mars, Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

8. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Here in SEA, goat's milk fetches good (high) prices. Personally, I look forward to owning goats. I love to watch the kids play.

Please feel free to send any / all donations directly to me. We have many goats here, in need of support.:D

Zimmy, Motomom34 and chelloveck like this.
  9. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

For a few years, my sister and BIL raised goats. They got a lot of milk from one nanny. The billy was so friendly, he'd try to get in people's laps if they were sitting.

Motomom34 and chelloveck like this.
  10. ochit

ochit Monkey+

the BLM said the same of wild mustangs and used to shoot them now thats politically incorrect they catch and sell cheap for adoption. the land was crap before mustangs man had to manage it still hard as chicken lips but goats there don't thrive as well too many predators.

11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Goats are hard to keep , a friend had goats and they would climb on every thing, the truck tractors the house and trees ,,every thing .Wasn't long he got rid of them.

3cyl, Thunder5Ranch and Motomom34 like this.
  12. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Stinkinassed goats

Now y'all know my feelings on the subject;)

Thunder5Ranch and Motomom34 like this.
  13. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

You, you, you - bunch of goat haters.
    Goat's Lives Matter!

14. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Yes! But only because they become CABRITO!!

15. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

HAte the things myself....... And if your neighbor has goats....... you have goats

Tully Mars, Zimmy and chelloveck like this.
  16. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

17. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I think you are confusing me with "The law", and you really ought give more credit to Charles Dickens....plagiarism doesn't become you! :LOL:

Edit: This was my 10,000th SM post. Thank you om11. [grlft]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Ganado and Zimmy like this.
  18. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

/\ /\ /\ Congrats Chell.

chelloveck likes this.
  19. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I’ve raised goats 3 times.

6 the first time with fence panels made from the top and bottom parts of king size beds wired to a 5 wire barbed wire fence. It actually kept the goats in. Right after the herd grew to 9 a cougar jumped over it and killed all 9 and the black lab mix I’d locked up in there while on vacation for a 4 day trip to the coast.

Second time was two nannies and two kids. The goal was milk for 3 babies between two households in the families. The kids could climb any fence and the nannies even pushed under chain link I’d staked down. They lived on our cars at every opportunity. We ate them.

Third was some runt pigmy goat someone gave us. It lived on the cars and head butted the babies until it went on the grill.

My next goats are coming soon. I’m planning to try dog collars and an invisible fence. I’ll drag the fence around whatever I want eaten and move as needed. I’m hoping the collars will fry the wildness out of them.

chelloveck likes this.
  20. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

until I have Bar B Q :whistle:

1. Yard Dart
  2. Yard Dart
  3. Benjamin A. Wood
  4. Benjamin A. Wood
  5. Benjamin A. Wood
  6. Benjamin A. Wood
  7. Benjamin A. Wood
  8. Benjamin A. Wood
  9. BenP
    [ATTACH] Last 15-20 years and makes more every year.
    Thread by: BenP, Sep 20, 2018, 15 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid
  13. Asia-Off-Grid
  14. Asia-Off-Grid
  15. Asia-Off-Grid
  16. Asia-Off-Grid
  17. Asia-Off-Grid
  18. Asia-Off-Grid
  19. Asia-Off-Grid
  20. Asia-Off-Grid