Another reason not to own a Jeep

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DKR, Jan 16, 2021.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Well, the brands still exist, but the automaker producing Jeep SUVs and Ram pickups said on Saturday morning it had closed its transatlantic merger with French rival Groupe PSA. Stellantis NV is the fourth-largest automaker in the world by volume with the global footprint and scale executives hope will provide the capital to invest in technologies to stay competitive in the coming age of autonomy and electrification.
    (Fiat Chrysler, Groupe PSA merge to become Stellantis)

Yeah, French.

Oddcaliber and GrayGhost like this.
  2. bpaintx

bpaintx Monkey+++

I think I have already bought my last one, the QC is horrible. Its all made in China anyway and assembled here.

Oddcaliber and GrayGhost like this.
  3. DKR

LOL
    my DD and youngest son own Jeeps Older, "all American" Jeeps. Still both are a POS - electrical issues on the scale of Lucas Electric (UK).

Quite being worth the effort own after they dropped the Jeepster. (1948 - 1950)
    [​IMG]

4. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Yet another reason to never buy a new vehicle.

5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The Cherokees they produced for about 20 years were rock solid. There are few vehicles that I would choose over one w/ the straight 6 as a bug out vehicle.

Parts wore out over time as parts do, but it was amazingly easy to work on. I swapped out the starter in about a half hour under shade tree conditions. Routine maintenance was all easy as well. Probably the last vehicle designed for owner servicing and maintenance.

Oddcaliber, STANGF150, 3cyl and 4 others like this.
  6. DKR

You would hard pressed to find a vehicle better than the Toyota FJ-x early series.
    http://motoringhistory.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Toyota-FJ40-Land-Cruiser.jpg

7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Oddcaliber and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

Try to find the AMC CJ’s or original Cherokee’s, easy to work on and the parts are still readily available.

9. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

You can get auxiliary fuel tanks to double the range of your wrangler. They are awesome and people can’t even tell you have one.

Oddcaliber, Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  10. DKR

Designed for Africa

Oddcaliber, 3M-TA3 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

My 57 IH S-120 is a beast..4x4 3/4 ton. ;)

3M-TA3 likes this.
  12. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

One word, Wagoneer! As in the original full size Jeep SUV before that was such a thing from the early 60's on up through the 70's! You could have them any way you wanted, from the basic no frills all the way up to luxury that would rival Cadillac, Lincoln, or Chrysler!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    3cyl and 3M-TA3 like this.
  13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

We have a 46 Willis CJ-2A and a 50 Jeepster 4x4 conversion, both are bomb proof, reliable, and can go anywhere! Take your Toyotas and LandRovers and shove them up your..........

We also have a pair of original Power Wagons, a 42 WC-22 half can truck, and a 46 WC-30 pickup, nothing built before or since can match those for tough!

14. JediWoodsman

JediWoodsman Insomnia Monkey

oh man, a thread that speaks directly to my soul... My lease vehicle (don't ask) is up in Nov of 2021 and I have been looking at the 6cyl Willy's Wagons and Willy's Pickups. 4x4 manual transmission with overdrive.. just gotta find the right one.

-JW

Oddcaliber and Ura-Ki like this.
  15. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

Jeeps.......

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  16. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Have a Cherokee built in the late 90s with the straight six.
    Was considering a newer Cherokee about two months ago, 2018 -2019, 'till i read the reviews, what a disaster - no thanks.
    The one I have is still running with no major repairs, only oil changes, brakes, shocks, etc, for 23 years. Bought it when it had 3000 miles on it in '98.
    Ever since Chrysler partnered up with Fiat (an Italian word which loosely interpreted means junk), don't think I'll be buying their products.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    Oddcaliber and 3M-TA3 like this.
  17. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

A friend of mine explained to me why he bought a used wagoneer instead of a new one. He said that desert crawling (as we were doing at the time, mid 70s) the new ones never went into the desert with fewer than two in convoy so one would be available to get out and get parts. (This was in the area of the Flaming Gorge Reservoir in south west WY.)

Ura-Ki likes this.
  18. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

I had one of the original version Ford Broncos.
    upload_2021-1-17_12-8-13.
    302 V8, Dana transfer case and front axle. Except for the body that had various rust prone areas, it was a very robust vehicle and easy to work on. I plowed snow with mine and that ate clutches. Got that I could change out the clutch in about 3 hours.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  19. Homer Simpson

Homer Simpson Monkey+++

Jeeps are cute, Barbie has one.

20. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

Jeeps are popular but their reliability record isn't something to brag on. That straight-six Jeep from the eighties is a lot more reliable than the newer ones. The new ones are kinda pricey also.

Homer Simpson and 3M-TA3 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7