Another School Shooting. Gun debate in 3, 2, 1.......

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Motomom34, Nov 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

This is what happens when you condition people NOT to take action when it is necessary.
    Much of the town is armed and accustomed to hearing gun fire , problem is people are afraid of getting involved.

2. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

And guess in which state my story occurred... yep, Florida.

3. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

China did that with drugs back in the day and it worked got caught with drugs had your head cut off the problem is the Cort are so screwed up that there would be a lot of people that would be put to death that really shouldn't be need a few judge dreads roaming

Ura-Ki likes this.
  4. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

You nailed it VisuTrack.

Most of these shootings have a couple things in common.

The perp has had documented mental and / or anger issues, not just depression or shoe fetishes, and was known to police.

Nothing is ever done to keep them isolated from the rest of us. Nothing.

I work with a guy who has ongoing anger issues. He's in the next cubicle. Everyone can hear him go off on his wife over the phone (lengthy, loud profanity - laced tirades) and it has been ongoing for the ten years that I've known him. We all get frustrated with situations in our daily lives from time to time. But to me, this guy's behavior indicates a festering underlying problem. There have been numerous complaints about it from other employees and he told me that recently, he has been called on the carpet for scaring people. Didn't want to tell him that he scares me too.

Yet complaint after complaint over the years, nothing is done. Hope I retire before he finally blows up and takes it out on everyone around him.

Motomom34, Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  5. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I believe that people that tend to vent their issues in anger get affirmation from others that only reinforces their behavior.
    We see this in the litigious that sue over every thing they choose to be bothered by. Liberals

Motomom34 and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Motomom34, Ura-Ki and Tully Mars like this.
  7. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

state or local officials? judges? I do not disagree but I have... as I said already... doubts and issues with this!

this sort of approach works ONLY IF you have trust in the people in office... who says they are right?

the MSM? some political party? maybe we should look real close at track records n such...

the REAL track records... not the ones created by the MSM or some political party... BUT...

who appoints these officials? We have seen time after time some judge and politicians ignore the Bill of Rights...

and fairly recently even government entities abuse their power to benefit... government... and screw the people...

such as the IRS holding back status and auditing certain organizations and people at the seeming urging of the upper echelon of our gov...

AND...

judges overturn the votes of the people in favor of their own ideals...

example... the people of California actually voted against same sex marriage a few years back...

a judge... that later admitted... after his retirement...

he was gay and in a gay relationship at the time... OVERTURNED that vote...

now this might sound like a technicality to some... but IMHO he should have recused himself...

the issue was too close to him and he had a so called dog in that fight...

so for me their are issues of trust involved... especially looking back at gov actions and activities of recent...

I'm old and seen too much I guess...

8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

That is interesting that you linked Starship Trooper because when reading some of the comments in this thread, I was reminded of the book and our book discussion.

Ura-Ki and Tully Mars like this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I remember Eric Holder saying that law enforcement does not have time to enforce the law, when asked about why police don't go after the 70,000 or so criminals that lie and get denied trying to buy a gun through a dealer every year.

Altoidfishfins and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Funny because they sure as heck show up here in OryGun to collect denials! Saw two BIG Gorrilla Sheriffs Deputies collect a dude AND the lady with him for what looked like a straw purchase! Didn't ask the details! But the lady looked shaky to me! Not my place to speak out!!! Maybe should have?

11. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

It is clear that the children of Israel are not as coddled as the US Snow Flakes.
    Are Israeli teachers armed?
    The schools are in lock down at all times. Fences and locked gates are there to protect them. Armed staff are in place and most of the folks in place are experienced in warfare. The referenced "article" is yet another form of protection for it implies that all is well and their babies are safe while away from the homes that may also be armed.

Why is this clear, well I have been in the analytic world for years. Fact is all articles have a business they want to conduct commonly called point of view.

12. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

It is worth noting that in NV, do a crime with a gun (any crime) and you get 5 years mandatory in the State pen, and this cannot be plea bargained.away. People got tired of the gangs running amuck. We voted with our feet a long before the pols got woken up....

(Nevada "firearm" laws)
    Yes. When a person uses a gun to carry out a crime in Nevada, the courts may double that crime's sentence to up to twenty (20) extra years in prison. For example, the maximum sentence for robbery is 15 years in prison. If the defendant had a gun, the judge could double it to 30 years.

OJ got as much time as he did because one the other dudes was carrying....

3M-TA3 likes this.
  13. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

And if they have a weapon they must carry at all times otherwise if stolen they go to jail.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  14. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Here, you have a poor defense lawyer.

Issue one... Most revolvers have an empty chamber so the hammer doesn't rest on the primer of a chambered round.
    Issue two... With him initially all over her and obviously still engaging in the attack, How would she have had time or the freedom to find the box of cartridges and reload the firearm?
    Issue three... With his history of intent to commit bodily injury to her and being under a restraining order, even if he was down or had expired; even I would have reloaded.
    Issue four... How did they prove that she reloaded and shot him after wounding him or reloaded after he was deceased?

If it had been me they would have found the revolver fully loaded with five expended cartridge casings on the floor. I would have explained that every time I shot him, he moved.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  15. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

IMO teachers should be qualified to have a CCW and carry at all times.
    If they are incapable of legally CCW they should not be allowed to teach our children.

16. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

One has nothing to do with the other IMO. Some people just will never be into owning a gun. Some people take self-defense lessons or carry a taser but they will never own a gun. If someone does not want to own or operate a gun then they should not but it should not limit their profession choices.

Dunerunner likes this.
  17. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

That is exactly why there are restrictions on the 2A today. People who do not want to own a firearm for their own self defense want someone else to be responsible for their well being. They also fear firearms to such an extent that they do not want you to own a firearm for your own defense either. It is one thing for folks to Not want to defend their own life or that of a stranger in peril with a firearm, it is quite another for them to dictate that you should not be allowed the freedom of choice to own a firearm yourself.

I feel that people responsible for my child's life and well being while attending school should be prepared to protect my child with any means necessary, and obviously a sign posted outside the school proclaiming the area to be a gun free zone isn't getting the job done.

What if we extended that philosophy to police, or the military? What about those professional choices?

18. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I do not think it is all the teachers. The board and schools have policies and procedures. One procedure is to shelter in place. The schools practice and preach this. One of my son's teachers had a different plan. He said he was not on board with sheltering in place and thought the kids needed to get out of the building. Some say that is a bad idea because there could be shooters outside but I cannot recall a recent case of school shooters inside and out.

Seawolf1090 likes this.
  19. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

In other words, a background check... I'm thinking that might just find some less than savory characters in front of classes. Works for me. What I don't know is just how thorough a school board might vet new hires. Might be thorough, might not. That would, it seems to me, to be a parental duty to know what their board requires. The mandate to carry is another question entirely.

Tully Mars likes this.
  20. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

My opinion is to allow teachers to voluntarily carry concealed. If the school requires them to have advanced training then as a taxpayer I would be happy to help fund that. If these nutcases thought there MIGHT be armed resistance even though there is in fact none it will still deter these cowards. How many mass shootings have taken place in areas that armed resistance was likely vs gun free zones*? My guess is that if even 2-5% of teachers are expected to be armed the cowards will go elsewhere.

*i.e. target rich undefended kill zones with only enough security to ensure nobody can fight back

1. fl4848
  2. BTPost
  3. BTPost
  4. Dunerunner
  5. OldDude49
  6. oldman11
  7. Ura-Ki
  8. OldDude49
  9. OldDude49
  10. Motomom34
  11. Dunerunner
  12. T. Riley