Another site

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by E.L., Jan 20, 2006.

1. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Good info for the pack frame ignorami like me.

3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Been there and watched it evolve...
    -UHLEK- used to have a site called survivalforums.com built around the boboracle. some good stuff

4. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

What he said..

yep..

Later monkeys..

5. meyah

meyah Monkey+++

I've been packing for decades.

The newer frame packs are so superior to ALICE gear as to be like night and day. Man, the frame and harness swap the wt from your shoulders to your hips, and you can carry 40 lbs with less problems than you can 20 lbs without the frame.

The guys who favor .30 cal have done about zero hiking in survival mode. :) If they had, they'd know that you need 40 lbs of other,non gun gear, and adding 30+ lbs of rifle, pistol, mags, mag pouches, ammo, sling, bipod, scope,spare parts,cleaning gear, armor, etc, just aint in the cards.

6. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

Please give names of frame packs you recommend....it is difficult to compare without names. The only problem I have had with frame packs is when they are packed really heavily, they shift your center of balance greatly. This can affect your "march", hike, walk, or run if the shtf. I, personally, prefere a framless pack for this reason and I am in the process of deciding between a military style kifaru pack or a backpacking style arcteryx.

Thanks for jumping right in the pool meyah and making some posts. We always appreciate well though out responses and threads.

Go Aggies!

7. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Its the ARs that generaly need the spare parts, AKs take the abuse and keep going without need for new parts and no bipod is needed, just ammo and a few mags same as any other gun. Have to wonder also how you come to the conclusion that the sidearm is needed with .30 cal rifle and not with the .223, its no more or less needed with one over the other unless you look at needing something to stop them when the .223 dosnt get the job done.
    As far as the packs my own preference is internal frame.

8. roscoe

roscoe Monkey+++ Founding Member

That got absorbed by Pre Ban, which later became Blackrifles. The quality dimminished a little at each move. Still, some good info. -UHLEK- is in and out of the country...

9. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I was a member at all of them. The problem with PB and susequent was that they tended to be filled with ARF exhiles. Kind of like one Big Bear Pit.
    I drank with both Ed Sr and Grock a couple yrs ago and really liked them both ;)

THe -UHLEK- in and out of the country thing did make me laugh Roscoe

10. RonnieTan

RonnieTan Monkey+

I know this thread is already old, but I just want to say that I really like those packs on that site. This thread helps me to find a new pack. Very helpful. Thank you so much!! :)

--
    "Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don’t."
    RonnieTan vibram

11. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Bob-oracle down? I went to check on it, and no load. I keep getting : can't find the server at www.bob-oracle.com. Any similar sites?

12. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

Yup...no bob-oracle anymore...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7