Any Houndsmen / Woman on here

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by Darwin, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Darwin

Darwin Monkey

This last year was not as good as it could have been since I beat both are 4wd's to death but we did tree about 30 cats and cant count how many bear. Looking for a new to us 4x4 now for spring.
    Anyone ells hunt dogs?

swampbilly likes this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Used to go coon hunting with my Uncle. He had the best coon dogs. We would track the dog via foot. We would walk for miles. Do you 4 wheel it in the woods?

3. Darwin

Darwin Monkey

We try and get as far up the mountains or, as close to the dogs as we can with the 4wd and then its a foot race to the tree around here it can be a 3 hour hike up some pretty steep stuff. Now we use GPS tracking and have the back road map book loaded to see if there are better ways into the area they go. Last hunt was 38 K in 2 1/2 hours hahaha that cat came out of the tree so many times (female leading dogs away from kittens) to try and run that is impossible in the terrain. We have thousands of miles of old logging roads to get around some little more then a goat trail. We only eat 2-4 cats a year so most times its just about being outdoors with the family and keeping the dogs happy. I wish we could Coon hunt up hear but they sleep all day and we arn't aloud to hunt with light here in Canada. I have got the odd one in the yard at night, hear em trying the cans and I will let the dogs out but its one hell of a mess to clean up in the morning.

swampbilly and Motomom34 like this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I find it odd that there are no people on here that hunt with dogs.

@Darwin you hunt cats? We have a feline that comes through about twice a year. Law says we aren't allowed to shoot it unless it attacks.

5. Darwin

Darwin Monkey

Yes we Hunt cats all the time (don't always take them) but it is good for the dogs. If you don't have animals or children I wouldn't worry too much but If you have ether , kill it ! a cat that comes that close to humans has no fear! It is only a matter of time befor it attacks. We have had cats attack people in there house last year in my town and sighting every few weeks. There are 4 hounds men in this small town so one of us can deal with a cat fast.

Motomom34 and kellory like this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Most have pets here and a couple times a year you will see a lost cat or lost dog sign go up. Most know that the pet isn't coming back. When the cat came a month back the first thing I did was tell the neighbor with the little kids under 5. We have a good network among the neighbors of letting each other know when danger is around. A bunch of Mom's also started their own on-line notification network, they post wildlife sightings and locations. Since I have a lawman next door he isn't as flexible on somethings.

7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

It is better to be judged by twelve, then carried by six.
    Do what you need to do, but understand you will be judged for your actions.

Motomom34 likes this.
  8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I understand what you say @kellory , but sometimes seeing it written out just makes me say ugh! It is that fine line of what is right, what is safe, what is the law. Moral code vs ethical code.

9. Darwin

Darwin Monkey

First Motomom seeing a cat is vary vary rare , I have only seen 2 my hole life wile not dog hunting and I am in one of the richest cat areas in Canada I also spend 5 days a week in the woods . You have seen it because it has no fear. I have to say if you see it a few times a year the cat is there a lot more, it has found easy hunting. Your Constitution does say you have the right to bare arms and protect yourself and property correct ? Or have they taken that away already? not sure. A cat is the most proficient killer in North Amarica so do what you need to do. Your other option I guess would be phone a houndsman and have them run dogs in the area.

10. kellory

@Motomom34 , the dept. Of Natural Resources, will hunt down and kill any bear that has killed or attacked man, because they learn to do it again. Wolves, will be killed as a pack, if man is threatened. Cats are like land sharks, nearly perfect predators. If they get a chance, they will dine on house pets, or any tasty treats the right size. They are not over grown pets. Treat them with the same caution you would use around a shark.

Motomom34 likes this.
  11. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I have helped set up a couple of dog trials here ... We have one that has been active since 1947... "the Fox Hunt" changed it to dog trials 27 years ago run deer now... still get the occasional PETA complaint....

12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

WD, make sure you bring at least ONE shotgun, with you.... Those PETA Dudes, & Dudettes, like to play with Drones.....

13. kellory

I'd like to have a good bird dog, who loved to run rabbits, and track deer. ;)

14. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

No worries these are good old boys... shotguns, rifles, pistols, black powder... what ever it takes...:D

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2014
  15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I have a lab that I use to blood trail deer, She trees squirrels playing around in the back yard. The only cats we have are bobcats, The brown/gray cougars and The black ones that do not exist until you see one and what we call The Honey bear, It's really a black bear,

kellory likes this.
  16. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

We have Mtn curs that we are training on tree rats, our season starts the end of May. There's a few that like to bounce around in the trees about 30 yards from the dogs pen and tease them. The squirrels have no idea whats coming in less than 2 months :)

17. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Have a neighbour who keeps hounds and has said that anytime I want to run a cat, esp. that big tom that hangs around by my place, I should give him a call... Nice thing... Friends with hounds...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7