Any love for the SKS?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Oddcaliber, Feb 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

While reading the AR threads it got me wondering if you guys have anything else. I've got 2 Chinese type 56 SKS's. Would love to have an AK some day. But I won't trade my SKS's because they are so reliable. And SKS love here?

2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Nothing wrong with an SKS...solid, reliable firearm with decent accuracy. I certainly wouldn't discount it for most normal shooting activities ;)

3. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I wouldn't trade mine . I hear people bragging about the AKs all the time , and talk junk about the SKS. To me , the AK is just a shorter version of the SK. My SK is iron sighted in at 300 yds , and when I put my modified upper receiver cover on it with my 3x9 x40mm scope on top of it , it makes it just that much better. Instead of spending the money on an AK , I'd put that money on a Lapua.

Zimmy, Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  4. I love the SKSoperating system. I have played with them a lot. Here in GA, where the white tails really arent very big, loads of people hunt with them. My nephew killed his first with an SKS ........ I think its a rarity too.. takes AK magazines. A few years ago when I thinned my rifles down I sold a CZ-VZ58. They use a SKS gas system but, have AK styling. Great rifle ...... far superior to an AK in my opinion.

Zimmy, Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  5. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I have had three SKS carbines.
    A Norinco, which I sold, though it shot well and was reliable.
    A Yugo, with grenade launcher and sights. Loved it, but it was stolen. The larger size and greater weight made it very stable on the bench, and accuracy was excellent.
    My current SKS is a 1957 production "Pseudo-Sino Soviet", serialed later than the true SS guns, but physically identical, Russian parts and styling. Blade bayonet.
    Excellent accuracy and reliability. Military production.
    I use my own handloads, so ammo gives best accuracy, though Remington commercial brass cased is very good too. The best thing to ensure good accuracy in an SKS is good ammo!

Zimmy, reloader762, oldman11 and 5 others like this.
  6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Have a very sweet shooting Chech SKS with all the bells and whistles, shoots lights out all day long and is a solid 400 meter rifle with the right ammo! Have a little Norinko incased in a plastic pipe with 200 rounds of good ammo with it and a full kit of spairs! Wouldn't trade a bad SKS for a good AK ever!!! Now even better yet is a very nice little Veper in 5.56 and another in 7.62X39, those are my hand outs when needed, and are also burried in pipe some place around the Ranch! Got the SKSs when Big5 was selling them for $100 apiece, and the Vepers were $200 with nice arsonaled hardwood stocks! Also picked up a super rare Jungle carbine SMLE nickle with conical flashhider for $179 back when a Moron Haven't was $99!!!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    Dannyboy53, Zimmy, 3M-TA3 and 4 others like this.
  7. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Haha...had to think a moment on the Mosin Nagant reference....but my two cost a total of $70...can't complain, plus give off nice fireballs at night! :)

Zimmy, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  8. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Had one with a folder (Russian) as a truck gun for years, traded it for a PSA AR that I later sold. I miss the SKS, damn reliable firearm even though I never was impressed with the accuracy past 200 meters.

9. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

One of these days , I may try and get one of those 7.62x39 AR platforms . With a few SK's laying around and a Mini 30, having an AR platform rifle might be nice , and not needing to keep multiple ammo's around.

10. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

My favorite....the rest are "stored"........ [chopper]

[​IMG]

11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

That is one UGLY gun. Ban it, its too ugly for any legitimate use!

Zimmy, oldman11, 3M-TA3 and 3 others like this.
  12. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Nice setup. However "Bubba" haven't gotten his hands on mine yet! LOL

13. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

Turned mine into a scout rifle and great truck gun
    Back in the day picked it up for $89 bucks

Zimmy, Sapper John, oldman11 and 4 others like this.
  14. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Black guns need homes to.... ;)

15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Don't own one, I have heard they make great hog/deer guns.
    Last one I saw in a shop was priced at $ 650.00, Guess most of you have made a great investment!

Zimmy, Oddcaliber, oldman11 and 2 others like this.
  16. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The SKS is the Rodney Dangerfield of the black rifles. A great sleeper rifle that doesn't stand out too much and can be accurate enough for sniper use.

17. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Nice little rifles that some how made it under the radar all these years! Wish I had picked up a few more back when the prices were so cheep, just to have them around! Never know when a pack of Wolverines might show up and have need!

Zimmy, Oddcaliber, oldman11 and 3 others like this.
  18. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

When I had my Yugo M59/66 SKS I was pretty impressed with its accuracy using iron sights and it being easy on beginners w/ its low recoil. Had the trigger re-worked at Kivaari's - highly recommended (not associated w/ kivaari)! Over the years I saw so-called grenade launchers that shot golf balls (using blanks). Overall, it's a cool looking rifle that drives weird people nuts because of the evil bayonet and large black muzzle device :eek:. Just tell them the wood stock means it's for hanging above the fireplace.

The SKS seems a little expensive now compared to when I got mine ($125). Sure would be nice to see another flood of them come in again.

Zimmy, Oddcaliber, oldman11 and 2 others like this.
  19. Im seein alot of people say they got SKSs for 100 buck or so. The last time I saw one for sale it was in the 500 range. Im sure the same goes for all the good ol surplus firearms............ but dang! Its gettin hard to find a Deal! 2 years ago I sold an Ishapor Enfield for $575 on consignment. We looked up the blue book value and sure enough..... the value of these $50 rifles has gone through the roof over the past 10 years. Its crazy. Im ashamed to say that I GAVE a #4 Enfield jungle carbine to my oldest nephew for his first hunting rifle. Those little buggers are worth a premium now.

Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

I can remember when you could get a Chinese SKS for $69.99 at almost any retailer, gun shop, or gun show. Then came Clinton and nothing has been the same ever since.

My only complaints about the SKS rifle is the ones sold with a pinned barrel. They were notorious for having the barrels loosened up after just a few hundred rounds.

Zimmy, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. 3M-TA3
  2. Matei
  3. Yard Dart
  4. Yard Dart
  5. hot diggity
  6. Oddcaliber
  7. Dont
  8. oil pan 4
  9. Oddcaliber
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Marvin L. Steinhagen
  12. Ura-Ki