Any one use this Seagate 1TB BarraCuda SATA 6Gb/s 128MB Cache 2.5-Inch 7mm Internal Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Technical' started by HK_User, Oct 30, 2017.

1. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

bottom line .. do not buy Seagate (n) (n) :0s: :0s:

they say HGST is really gud
    Toshiba is really gud
    WD is sometimes gud

backblaze :love:s HGST

Idahoser and Dunerunner like this.
  2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Test Results aka Proof of the pudding.

Dunerunner likes this.
  3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

That's the type of cable you need (SATA to USB) - no external case required just plug it in. You may or may not need drivers to mount the drive depending on your OS. It's a handy cable to have - for example using Acronis (or other) to clone a HD to a SSD.

Here is a similar cable you can get for about 12 bux at Walmart:
    upload_2017-10-31_8-9-16.

4. sec_monkey

:cautious: that cable does not have a power brick, the other one from Amazon has a power brick plus it supports SATA, 40 pin plus 44 pin drives

3M-TA3 likes this.
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I like the 40 and 44 pin, but why the need for a power brick when USB provides enough power? I've used cables like that several times.

6. sec_monkey

40 pin drives require molex power plus usb 2.0 n older does not provide enough power

usb 3.0 n usb 3.1 provide enough power in theory .. however cheap chinese cables n adapters sometimes catch fire plus plus

7. sec_monkey

8. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@sec_monkey Even if the chart is close to being correct, this is really good data. I guess I know now why I haven't see many failures over the years; it's because personally I normally always use WDC...and will continue to do so after seeing this but I am currently using Samsung Solid State and truly doubt that I will ever go back to analog/plate drives, too spoiled now. :)

EDIT: To state the obvious and see if anyone has comment, the down side of using Solid State Drives is that if they go dead there is no chance to recover one's data that I know of (comments?), just a thought, but my approach is to keep good backups to cover this.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  9. Bandit99

Ditto on what Sec_Monk said....well, I have never had one catch fire but by providing your own power source you are ensuring you get enough to drive it, at least that's what I have found.

sec_monkey likes this.
  10. sec_monkey

SSD data recovery is possible, however it might be quite difficult ..

data recovery on HDDs with high areal density can be really difficult as well

11. Bandit99

Yes, thinking about it, I suppose it might be possible, certainly not cost effective right now but then again depends on the data. I suppose since were using memory chips on SSDs that all of them would not go bad at once, same like computer, more likely one would get a failure on a chip or a set of chips unless of course you get a short in the board but other variables in play also like how the data is written...anyway, don't want to take up people's time nor drift away too much from the original post but do PM if you do know and want to discuss it because I have not read on it at all.

sec_monkey likes this.
  12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Or start a data recovery thread -- ? (Especially if you think it might be of more or less general survival interest. Isn't saving data part of surviving?)

sec_monkey likes this.
  13. Bandit99

'Knowledge is power', ghrit, and I am certainly too old and senile to remember everything so...so I rely on the computer to do hold all that information that my old turnip can't maintain on its own for the day that I need it. And, some information is priceless especially if you need it in a hurry, right? So, yeah, it could definitely be survival related. For example, SHTF scenario, kid gets sick with strep throat, no doc around and I can't remember which antibiotic is best for it...but my computer can.

ghrit, HK_User and sec_monkey like this.
  14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Actually, it only takes ONE Failure of One Addressing Chip Select Line to lose the complete DataSet in an SSD... Granted that is rare, HOWEVER it does happen, and it would be catastrophic....

Bandit99 likes this.
  15. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Yup I'm back to doing things I haven't had time to do in years, that means undoing some rusty bolts.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7