Any OTR truck drivers on here,,

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SB21, Nov 16, 2018.

1. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

The reason for slow descent downgrade is because of mass versus braking ability. Come off of a pass with 4% or more incline that is more than a mile or three down and even with modern brakes and a well adjusted Jake brake a loaded out semi will smoke the brakes to maintain a controllable speed. Used to be 40-50 years ago the rule of thumb was to start off the hill the same gear you went up in and hope 1 1/2 2 lbs. trailer air would hold you fine keeping your brakes cool enough to work right in an emergency stop. You know, the slob with his wife and kids who just pulled onto the road square in front of you while still looking at all the pretty bears in the meadow. Even without the need in an emergency coming of someplace as gentle as Rabbit Ears pass with overheated brakes means making that last left curve into Steamboat Springs ain't gonna happen. Now with 500 or more hp. engines that didn't work out so well so now you see trucks dropping two or more gears to come off the hills. Those that don't, well, that's why you hope there's a runaway ramp at the bottom so you don't end up in the river in downtown Pagosa Springs don't you know! That water is COLD!!

2. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

^^^Good info. Thanks. :D

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I have a memory of a missing guard rail on the west side of Jugtown Mountain on the old Rt22. I don't remember how far down that cliff went, but they didn't recover the rig for several weeks. Driver didn't make it. This was before 18 wheelers, it was six wheel tractor and single axle trailer. Going up in the dead of winter, drivers would prop the door open to keep from baking in the cabs.

We were beyond delighted when I-78 went in, cut two hours off the run.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    Gator 45/70, oldman11 and sec_monkey like this.
  4. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Do you hate the man or something??? I got a female friend thats a FedEx Driver. Was teasing her all Thanksgiving week about the coming "Cyber Monday" sales. She'll be working most the month of December from before sun up to long after sun down.

Gator 45/70, oldman11 and sec_monkey like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7