Any Pencil Writers? Rohtring 600

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Hanzo, Mar 30, 2023.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Wife loves writing her notes with a pencil. I last took notes with a pencil when I was in school. Think that was right around the time schools were invented. For work, I like the permanence of a pen.

Wife has been complaining about her mechanical pencils breaking on her constantly. So I ponied up to buy her what I thought was a really good mechanical pencil... the Rohtring 600 0.7mm in SB. The Rohtring is all stainless steel so it is a tiny bit heavier in the hand than most mechanical pencils. But that makes it feel good. She prefers the 0.7mm and likes a darker line. So 0.7 mm in SB.

I bought one for myself too and I am likeying it! First time using 0.7 and I really enjoy how it writes. The slightly added friction from the 0.7 vs 0.5 and the slightly softer SB lead helps me to write a tiny bit neater.

Wifee is enjoying hers too. I haven't heard her complain about it yet. I think the Rohtring will last a long long time. Also think it is robust enough for field notes.

You folks use pencils for notes? What do you use?

2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I’ve always liked a mechanical pencil on .07. Used them throughout my working years to take notes. Official docs had to be in black ink.

3. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

New convert.

duane, sec_monkey and Alanaana like this.
  4. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

@Hanzo I really enjoy the variety of your posts! You cover a lot of topics that I'm interested in and excited about.

"Life is the art of drawing without an eraser." ~John Gardner

I used to love the old fashioned (throw your shavings in the compost bin) pencils. When I went back to school and we started traveling, I switched to mechanical pencils because they take up less space. These are my 2 "lucky pencils." I picked up the Pentel GraphGear which is a drafting pencil (0.7 lead) back in 2018. I also like darker, black lead.

The gummy bear pencil in my newest edition that I acquired in 2020 and it smells like cherries. It didn't come with an eraser so I had to get the jeweled mermaid kitten eraser that smells like strawberries and cream.

I've noticed that the older I get, the more playful I am with my implements and gear :ROFLMAO:.

I haven't had to buy any other pencils which is nice.

Your Rohtring pencil looks like it is Very high quality!

5. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Ticonderoga #2 "cause I lose them and they have the attached "changed my mind" rubber thingy on top.

john316, Dunerunner, duane and 3 others like this.
  6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I like pencils!

Dunerunner, duane, sec_monkey and 2 others like this.
  7. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I write a lot of notes but use anything at hand, usually cheap BIC pens. I do like medium or wide points...

duane, sec_monkey, Alanaana and 2 others like this.
  8. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Mahalo @Alanaana. One of my students told me that my skill set is eclectic. I told him to watch his mouth. :whistle:

It's true though. Same for him. He is a retired intelligence officer with a very wide martial arts background. And a nice guy to boot. Like martial arts, I have a varied interest in other stuff too. I am guessing, most folks do.

For my notebooks, I usually have two methods. My pocket notebook is usually just written in pen... the small Refyne I carry on me. For my larger notebook, I use two colors. On for my prep and agenda, and the second color for meeting notes. With the Rohtring, I use the pencil for my prep and agenda, and a pen for my meeting notes.

The Rohtring was pricy for a pencil, but I do not see ever having to replace it.

9. Kamp Krap

Kamp Krap Monkey++

Good old school wood #2 pencils and pocket sharpener make up about 80% of my writing and marking where to cut. Pilot V5 Rolling ball extra fine pens make up the other 20%

Alanaana, Dunerunner, duane and 2 others like this.
  10. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

.. .. wut is dis writin yall is talkin about? .. ..

.. .. we aint got no edumacation .. ..

.. .. some folks we know said dem mechanical pencils have an eraser, tis concealed, reel sneaky uv em [ take da cap off ] .. .. :sneaky: :sneaky:

11. Capt. Tyree

Capt. Tyree Hawkeye

The timing of this thread on mechanical pencils is nicely coincidental! Only a few days ago while cleaning out some items from storage, I found a couple small boxes with my old stainless steel mechanical Cross pen and pencil sets.

A few decades ago, I occasionally kept them in my USAF uniform shirt pocket out of view with flap buttoned down when I was assigned to a "staff" job near the end of my active duty time. Things needed to be signed or initialed even when those good ol' Government ball-point black ink pens weren't handy.

Put my vote in for the thicker 0.7mm "pencil leads" if using a mechanical pencil. Otherwise, the standard No.2 lead wooden pencil that we used to sharpen with pocket knives as kids produces the good dark line that I like.(y)

Alanaana, Dunerunner, Hanzo and 4 others like this.
  12. survivistal

survivistal Monkey

Karst makes one that's 100% lead so you can do like arty stuff. The only pencils I have are the std construction ones. I've never been an artist like my dad or my sister so drawing stuff was never my thing.

Hanzo likes this.
  13. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Got hooked on the blue Pentel 0.07 back in the 80's. Still use them, buy a 12 pack every few years.

Hanzo likes this.
  14. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I remember pencil fighting like it was yesterday, mostly in the 7th grade. You’d meet up in the hallway and pow! Back and forth until you snapped his or vice-versa.

survivistal, Hanzo and Tempstar like this.
  15. JediWoodsman

JediWoodsman Insomnia Monkey

Love my Pentel Graph Gear 1000. Got the 0.5 for writing and a 0.9 for sketching or layout for my whittling/carving.

Hanzo and sec_monkey like this.
  16. Horsegal

Horsegal Monkey

- LOL - I remember pencil fights too!

Hanzo and Meat like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7