Any Reason You Can't Subload a 9mm Revolver with .380?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by AxesAreBetter, Jul 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Had a customer coming in looking for a .380 revolver, but he's not too hot about the manufacturer of the only one I could find. Is there any reason he couldn't subload a 9mm revolver with .380 ala .357/.38?

Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Accuracy would suffer significantly due to the Case not moving the Projectile up next to the Forcing Cone at the beginning of the Barrel.... Also, both these Cartridges headspace on the Case Mouth, so the .380 would be prone to side into the Cyl. and not get struck by the Hammer, as it is a short Case.... Why not just get him a 9mm Pistol, and teach the guy to reLoad, a lighter Loading.... or just a .380ACP Loading in a 9mm Case...

3. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

The Ruger is a .38 special, not a .380. And the 9mm revolvers tend to run on moon clips, if that's worth anything.

4. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

What sort of .380 revolver is he looking for? .380 ACP, .380 British (actually .38 S&W), some other .380? The only .380 ACP revolver I can think of off hand is Taurus.

5. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

The blazer aluminum cased rounds usually have a lighter load. Cheap too.

sec_monkey likes this.
  6. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Plenty of .22LR revolvers out there.. Convert him..

sec_monkey and Tully Mars like this.
  7. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

.380 ACP. The Taurus is the only one I am finding. The guy is pretty adamant about what he is looking for.

8. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

Even the little Taurus .380 revolver is pretty clunky/chunky beside something like my Ruger LCP. I can only speculate that a medical condition or something of that nature would require a revolver, with less capacity, over an auto loader. Or, perhaps the guys a nut! o_O

Ura-Ki, Dunerunner and sec_monkey like this.
  9. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

The only one I really know of is the Taurus. Never shot or handled one. Honestly never saw the point. If it was me I would opt for the .38 special or a .22Mag. I know that doesn't help much, but maybe the guy will come around.

10. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

Seriously, a .38spl with light wadcutter loads would be so much more versatile!

11. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I wouldn't carry less than a .38 with 125gr...well, maybe a .22 mag if it had enough shots. I kinda like .22 mag.

12. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  13. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Love my Rock Island .38sp revolver Light, versatile and deadly accurate (Or is that the operator ;) ) Not a pretty sidearm but who cares what it looks like if you can take a squirrels head off at 25 yards and everything inside works as smooth as silk. I got it to pack around on the farm and have found it has replaced the 1911 on my visits to the civilized world. It also runs .38sp +p with no problem. Might have the customer look at a Rock Island Armory Model 200 best bang for the buck I have seen in a long long time and just as good as the more expensive brands IMO.

14. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

That is why I have the Taurus Raging Judge after a hour of shooting it you will regret not having a ace bandage :) I have a couple of .357 Derringers for the sock guns :) And when I am not feeling real accurate don't we all need a 20 barrel pepperbox :)

24-barrel_pepperbox.

Sgt Nambu and Ura-Ki like this.
  15. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

My 9mm and .38 Super Smith and Wesson revolvers uses moon clips to hold the rimless case, so does my 10mm, .40 S&W, and .45 acp revolvers

Ura-Ki, Thunder5Ranch and Tully Mars like this.
  16. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I like the m200. Sold a few, put 35-40 rounds through a buddies the other day. Only issue I have had with them is the firing pin getting stuck in a whitebox primer...!

Thunder5Ranch likes this.
  17. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Don't forget the Ol .32 Colt or the even lighter S/W for weaker hands.
    No reason you couldn't load 9 mm to approximate. 380 auto, but I would only do that for an auto, not a wheel gun!!! Like pointed out, accuracy will really suffer.
    I did just the opposite for one of my all time favorite back up/ pocket guns, I 're barreled my Walther PPK for full power 9 mm and she runs flawlessly. 8 rounds is more then enough for those lighter days when a .45 makes me feel bloated!!!

Sgt Nambu and Motomom34 like this.
  18. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

That is really interesting. Thank you. I have the sames gun and this is good to know.

Tully Mars and Ura-Ki like this.
  19. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I'd really like to have a PPK...I was so sad to find out they didn't make them in .32 anymore. The .22Lr versions are really nice. If I wanted a concealed auto, that's still the way I would go.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  20. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

But the bond arms is so FREAKING HUGE, you might as well carry the wheelgun or a compact 9mm!!!

Ura-Ki likes this.
  1. Oddcaliber
  2. hank2222
  3. Oddcaliber
  4. T. Riley
  5. hank2222
  6. Bishop
  7. AxesAreBetter
  8. Motomom34
  9. Motomom34
  10. survivalmonkey
  11. Homunculi