Any recommendations for grain mills?

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Avarice, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Avarice

Avarice California Health Junkie

I'm looking for a grain mill that can be operated by hand, preferably stone ground, but I won't write off a burr grinder. I would consider a electric and hand powered combo.

My mother-in-laws hand mill sucks! I mean, it really blows. I've looked around, and I have found a lot. I was wondering if you all had any favorable experiences with any models?

I've got my mortar and pestle out, and I'm trying to turn some rice into flour. It's hard work.

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Try the Lehmans.com Amish Catalog.... They usually have very good stuff..... YMMV.....

3. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

Country Living Grain Mill was recommended the most when I did my research. It is hand crank but will accept a belt drive. We got ours used for $200.00 and a shaft and bearing kit for rebuild is like $30.00. The wife likes hers a lot.

4. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

There have also been several posts on this over the last couple of years. Try a search of our archives.

5. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

++1 Country Living

I hooked mine up to a Singer sewing machine treadle.

6. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Retsel mills

(Grain Mills, Retsel Brands Store)

These folks have been around forever. When I was a rainy day foods dealer back in the bad old Carter days, Retsel mills were the caddy of grain mills. The mills run slow enough that the flour doesn't get hot, a key to good bread making. Not an issue on the hand powered ones, but if you retrofit with a motor, something to remember.

There have been reports of spotty service and the occasional delivery issue (Don't know why, these folks are in ID) at least the unit is US made.

Worth a look at any rate.

I have a Magic mill - still works even tho the company that made it went under a couple of decades ago. SO long life is a good thing in the mill business.

7. beast

beast backwoodsman

the old foxfire books has a decent set of drawings for making your own stone wheel grinder, one of the tubwheel types
    wouldnt be too much work makin a smaller version for hand operation
    somewhere, if i can find it, i have plans for a small homemade one, stone or metal plates

8. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I settled for coffee "mills" from Walmart...$17 with tax.
    They will turn many things into what I call powdered sugar consistency...BUT they are electric! ( and very small!) I'd like to find a good one ( affordable) myself! Most (decent ones) are quite expensive, considering what they do!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7