Any slingshot shooters here?

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by fish, Nov 19, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I went to a gun show over in the eastern part of the State yesterday and picked up a Chinese made wrist rocket that had a few differences I have not seen before. It used much larger diameter surgical rubber tubes than the ordinary ones do and had a considerably heavier draw weight. It was also adjustable for draw length and wrist support, something that I have not seen before. I'll try to get a picture on here.
    DSC00777.JPG DSC00778.JPG

2. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I probably would be a 'slinger', but a slingshot I made(when I lived near Seattle I found the perfect piece of fallen green wood for one, just had to trim the branches down to useable size), but I lost it during a move, and have never found a similar piece of wood.

3. fish

fish Monkey+

accuracy has very little to do with the slingshot,that is down to the shooter,for example a snipers rifle in the hands of a marks man is deadly acurate,the same gun in my hands would not hit a barn door at 50 paces!lol

as for back drop by far the best thing to use is to hang 2 blankets one 6 inches behind the other,when a shot hits it it will absorb the shot and fall to the ground to be retrieved.

i am very pleased with the results of the chronograph tests,worthy of not is that the bands will perform better in warmer weather.

4. Seacowboys

That is a good point. It was a warm afternoon, comfortable enough for short sleeves, I don't know the exact temperature but I would imagine it in the low to mid seventies.

5. fish

fish Monkey+

a slice of humble pie with that sir? lol

seriously though mate thanks for taking the time to do the comparison.do you guys on here do group buys on stuff? if so i would like to offer a group buy with a very generous discount for forum members.[winkthumb]

6. Ferret1959

Ferret1959 Monkey+

Sorry to but in on your thread and in particular but I have to mention.

The Chinese wrist rocket in the photos are the more dangerous slingshot I have ever seen.
    I had one and it practically fell apart and hit me in the face, only used it a few times.

However it made a good donor for this.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok lads, as you were. [winkthumb]

7. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I would like to get in on a group buy if it goes down.

8. fish

fish Monkey+

if it is ok with admin and we can iron out a few details i am up for it.

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

There is a chance the forum would take you up on that. PM melbo, see what his thinking is.

10. Seacowboys

Now that's interesting. I would tend to agree that the chinese sling has the potential of doing ome damage to the shooter but most of the flaws might be fixed.

11. ghrit

From my blog; Don and I were likely around 12 years old at the time.

One day, Don and I were looking for something to do. It happened that a number of others had recently acquired slingshots. How it happened that everyone got one of those devilish devices at around the same time is mysterious, but it did. Except us. Neither his parents nor mine were disposed to provide us with a commercially available toy type slingshot suitable for peas and small stones, so we determined to make our own. Glossing over the various experiments with forked branches found on the ground in the woods, the many busted elastic bands, torn fabric pockets is easy; it all meant nothing compared to the final solution. We cut a small tree about 2 inches in diameter that just happened to have a close to symmetrical fork. Over all, it was over four feet long, with the forked ends just over a foot. Rubber bands were (by this time) in pretty short supply due to the earlier experiments, so something else rubbery was needed. How it came to pass that we “found” an old inner tube is left to the imagination. More experimentation lead us to cutting the tube into strips of the “right” length and width for use with rocks, approximately a small fist sized. Now, this was not a one kid deal, there were none then and likely none now that could handle this monster. Comparing a regular rifle to a normal slingshot, this was artillery. We cut a point on the butt of the fork and stuck it in the ground, loaded up and pulled it back. That didn’t work well, the fork came out of the ground and smacked the puller. Not good, rethink. Put the sharp end in the ground and the non-puller brace it with his shoulder, keeping his head down, eh? AH! That works. Now we need a target--. Eventually, we took this slingshot to the school field for trials, range and accuracy. We got to the point where we could hit a 55 gallon drum at 100 yards (measured by football field stripes) about 1 of 5 tries using 1 inch ball bearings (that is another story for another time.) Yes, Virginia, slingshots recoil, and inner tubes do whip around.

[beer]

12. HalfaHun

HalfaHun Monkey+

Thanks for the headsup, guys- going to have to break out my old wristrocket and some lead balls. Interesting comparisons on the chrony- some loads zinged out there faster than I would suppose. Is the slingshot or catapult still legal in the UK?- since they've managed to ban just about everything else, including glass beer steins in pubs! You might check out Chief AJ's website- not only did he pull a 200lb yew longbow but there's a video of him nailing a pheasant on the wing with his slingshot- mighty impressive! Watch out for ricochets!

13. fish

fish Monkey+

yep still legal gere,wont be for long ime sure!

14. Ferret1959

Ferret1959 Monkey+

We need national clubs and make it a sport.
    [winkthumb]

15. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Hey Fish... sent you a couple pms... let me know if you're getting them... Thanks....

16. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Just checked out my state regulations. Yep, a slingshot is considered a firearm and must be enclosed in case in your trunk or otherwise inaccessible to vehicle passengers during transport.

Thinking quiet bunny hunting this weekend would be nice .

17. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

You have to be S'ing me!...are you sure about this? How could it be considered a firearm with no propellant? Next your arm will be considered one if you can throw a rock fast enough.

18. vegasrandall

vegasrandall Monkey+++

slingshot

and what state would that be?

19. ghrit

Reading the tea leaves, that would be Michigan. (Lower peninsula, definitely not a Yooper.)

20. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Does it REALLY say "FireArm", or "Weapon"???? there is a BIG difference and words actually mean something, legally speaking....

1. Bishop
  2. Bishop
    Well I was out shooting my starship today. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Oct 16, 2019, 7 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  3. Bishop
  4. Bishop
  5. Hanzo
  6. Bishop
  7. Bishop
  8. UncleMorgan
  9. Bishop
    Thread