Any stores emptied near you?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Harbin, Dec 19, 2012.

1. franks71vw

franks71vw Monkey+++

Went to the range last week and shop had 8 pumps and 4 sslr hanging on the wall nothing else...

2. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

A friend and I hit a gun Show this weekend... saw some Panther DPMS ar's for $1800 + bush masters $2400.00 and up... M1 carbines $1200.00, MAK 90's and centry ak's $1500.00 +.... Thunder bolt .22's going for $5.00 a box of 50... $700.00 for 1000 rnds of 556... onkly thing reasonable were paracord braclets, beeef jerky and nylon holsters and gear... it was a waste of an entry fee....
    Stop-ped by a guns shop and he picked up a ruger scout rifle in .308 for $700.00....

3. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

This company listed AR mags two hours ago (they had 500 in inventory) and they were all gone as of just a few minutes ago. $30 a pop too! Crazy. I guess if you didn't stock up before SH, you're paying the piper-gouger.

AR-15 TAPCO 30 ROUND MAGAZINE - AR15Outfitters.com

4. Mechwolf

Mechwolf Monkey+

I did not go to the gun show this weekend just because I knew it would be a waste. Also I would probably get thrown in jail for yelling at multiple people for gouging.

5. jasonl6

jasonl6 Monkey+++

I had a bit different experience this weekend. Went with my father to a small gun shop owned by a guy from our church (his shop size is 12-20. There were probably 10 people in line ahead of us. He had allot of ammo but no surplus or bulk (he told me that all sold after the rush). When i got to his gun rack i noticed several ar's (ruger, dti, bushmaster, and a few high enders). We originality went to get a couple of receivers for builds that he set aside for me. While looking at one of the dti's the price on it was $670. This is a PA rifle in a ny store (he is 5 miles from the boarder and sells both pa and ny compliant rifles). He also had another dti with a quad rail for $850). I told my father to get the DTI as one can't even build one for that price anymore. When we got to the counter he knocked another $20 off since we are members at the same church. I had never been to his store as it's sometimes a PITA to buy a gun out of state, he had several other carbines (9mm and 45). HE also had 2 338 lupa's. nice store and a guy that didn't just raise prices because he could.

CATO and tacmotusn like this.
  6. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

PITA or not, please support and frequent this guys store and send him business as well. He is a rare individual indeed.

7. jasonl6

jasonl6 Monkey+++

Oh don't worry since getting the receiver i have made up my mind to go back and get a keltec P-3AT as a backup and EDC while in the office.

Jason

8. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

I was at my local gun shop last night. There was an AR-15 for sale there- one of mine. About ten years ago, I decided to build another AR so my wife and I could compete side by side in the service rifle matches.

Originally, she would shoot the first string, then I would use her rifle and shoot the second string. We could sight for eachother, load magazines, whatever- while the other was shooting the match. After a couple of years, we got used to how the matches flowed, and would have everything we needed done the night before, magazines all loaded for each stage and sighter, all marked, a spotting scope that the shooter could use while standing up or when prone, etc.

Anyway, I built an A2 upper with a 1:12 FN chrome lined GI profile barrel. Not exactly the most accurate piece for the service rifle matches, but still, it worked. I used a National match front sight pin matched to a NM rear sight. It was accuarate enough for what I wanted to do with it. The lighter barrel (than the wife's RRA bull barrel, NM A2 w/match trigger) did spread the group a little bit more when it got hot (especially since we used the front sling while shooting) than her match rifle.

To be used in the matches as a service rifle, it has to have an outward appearance of the service rifle. If you used a free float tube with the Tubb sights, you would be classified as a Match rifle, not service rifle. So, the AR has standard furniture, not special do-dads, no rails, no nothing. Just a regular A2 rifle that is lightweight and nice to shoot.

I decided to sell the rifle because it has been collecting dust in the safe for the better part of a decade. I was hoping to sell this rifle to a young person that doesn't have an AR yet; I didn't want to sell it to someone that already has a few just to fill in a hole in his gunsafe. So, I also decided to make the deal more appealing by selling three 30 round magazines, and a dedicated .22lr upper (16", A3 flattop, one 30 round magazine) along with it for a package price of $1400.

No bites. Just bitching about how I was gouging.

One kid even bitched about how the pins on the front sight base were falling out. I had to correct the young man, explaining that they were stainless steel taper pins, and that one side is wider than the other and will stick out further. They were not falling out. I've been shooting and building AR rifles for the last 25 years, so you think I would know a little about them.

Just because this rifle didn't have Magpul front handguards, grip, or a carbine stock, it is not an AR in their mind.

I'll leave it in the store for another week or two, but if I hear any more complaining, I'll put it back in the safe. Maybe I should raise the price $100 for every complaint. Stupid people just piss me off sometimes.

There was a guy beside me that wanted a Glock, so I asked him if he needed a new one, or if a used one would suffice. He said it only mattered if the price was right, so I told him I had a Gen I and a Gen II. First off, he didn't know the difference between the two, and secondly, after I told him my price (what I bought it for- $350) he backed away.

My local gun shop is full of cheapskates. I have no sympathy for them, I told these guys to buy when the getting was good, but no, they had to have the next, newest whatever short magnum out there. They could have easily bought this stuff in the last ten years.

CATO likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7