Any suggestions on a california legal .308 ?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by hartage, Dec 18, 2007.

  1. hartage

    hartage Monkey+++

    More accurately a semi-auto .308 I don't need a pistol grip. Just that be 1. a semi auto, 2. .308 and 3. has a capacity of 10 rounds. and of course 4. california legal (the toughie).
  2. sniper-66

    sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

    Ah, #4 is the catcher, up until then, I was going to tell you a FAL with a nasty big magazine and you could leave it with me and I would let you shoot it when you come by. Sorry, can't help you there.
  3. Seacowboys

    Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

    My suggestion on California is that you will be greatly out-gunned when the shtf. My second suggestion is that since California is going to eventually erupt into a disaster area again with tremendous civil unrest, that anyone with half a brain should leave and prepare to defend the border at the fall-back secondary line.
  4. Tango3

    Tango3 Aimless wanderer

    'zactly a more tennuous mix of reconquista, crips, bloods, earthquake faults, Ahnold, lack of water, over density of population; general bad manners and necessity of transportation would be hard to find any where else.
    (cynical troll says:.308 hell, repelling boarders
    is the least of your worries.)
    Get out..
  5. hartage

    hartage Monkey+++

    Lol, thanks everyone. Yeah, #4 is a toughie. So far my own line of thinking has maybe 2 possibilities. 1. look for a kel-tec rebarrel kit in .308 (no way I'm going to deal with the bushmaster ca legal that you have to practicly field-strip to reload) 2. Grab a BAR (the auto loading hunting rifle) and see if a way can be made to extend it's capacity to 10 rounds.

    FN FAL would be great but my skin type is one that does not do well with all the concrete behind bars. Forces me to stay out of jail for health reasons. Perhaps when I find myself a non-resident of CA or NY.
  6. RightHand

    RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

    Just go with a M1a. LRB is probably producing the best receiver right now but you can get a good SA Inc. a little cheaper. Alternately, go with a Chinese Poly or Norinco, least expensive of all and still have a solid following from lots users.

    Of coarse, you will need lots and lots of Sadlak NM parts and tools [beer]. We're back in production of Titanium scope mounts again so you can top it off with the best.
  7. hartage

    hartage Monkey+++

    Is it or does it have a version that is CA legal ?
  8. RightHand

    RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

    The M14/M1a is CA legal with limitations on pistol grip, Flash suppressor, barrel length, folding stock and mag capacity limited to 10 rd. I'm sure there are other limitations as well but those are the high points. I don't know all the CA laws but we have so many CA customers for our M14 parts that I call 4pm to midnight our CA customer hours. The phones never stop.

    I suggest you start by researching you CA laws and then visit a few firearms dealers. If you're interested in this platform, go over to The M14 Firing Line Forum dedicated to this platform. You'll find hundred of years of collective knowledge about the M14 and it's civilian counterpart.
  9. Minuteman

    Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

    Just a thought here. What about the M1 Garand? 8 round en-bloc clips, no pistol grip or flash hider. None of the scary stuff that makes the cali legislaters wet their pants.

    The 30-06 is a hard hitting round and cheaper than .308. But .308 is available if you were set on that caliber. And the shorter "tanker" model if you want a more compact version.

    Patton called it the greatest battle implement ever invented.
    Just a thought.

    Of course you could move back behind friendly lines and have a belt fed 1919A4 in .308!!!!!
  10. RightHand

    RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

    I don't think there is any disputing what a wonderful weapon John Garand designed back in the 1920's.

    However, and I'm not sure about this, I wonder if it's legal in CA since the official barrel length is only 24" and CA has a 30" min?

    Hopefully someone else has information on this
  11. hartage

    hartage Monkey+++

    Thanks for the info I'll look into that. I wanted to try and stay away from the "mainstream" choices as per the horrible price/performance ratio. Unfortunately CA laws is a bear to work with and pushes what is available price becomes a lower priority.
  12. hartage

    hartage Monkey+++

    Yes, I have heard that the garand is CA legal. I am looking into that as a last option. It's reputation is as such that it's price commands a premium. I have also heard you need to take a special class (more cost) to be able to buy a garand. The garand I'm sure puts one on a special short list that gets people extra attention from LE. Much like the attention you would get if you have a registered .50 cal (grandfathered in) here in CA. I prefer to stay under the radar and just blend with the masses.
  13. Tango3

    Tango3 Aimless wanderer

    I think the"special class"you are alluding too is the rquirement to be a part of a recognized shooting organization to buy weapons from the dcm. (dept of civilian marksmanship?) No?
    don't really see why a garand would garner any special attention..when all headline grabbing nutjobs flock to the ak/sks platform and BIG MAGAZINES!!( and I can tape 2 30's end to end that's 60 rounds!
    as if thats a magic talisman to ward off evil.)
  14. Evenglischatiest

    Evenglischatiest Monkey+++

    Aren't you somewhere around Ventura? There's a gun show at Seaside Park on January 12-13. I went to the one last month, and Garands looked to be about the most common gun there. Plenty of M1As, too. Definitely legal here.
  15. Tango3

    Tango3 Aimless wanderer

    "They" produced an enfield smle boltgun for nato called the 2a in the ishapore factory in.308 . They are known as "ishies" and can be identified by the box like magazine.I don't know how many rounds they held (more than likely 10) ...
  16. hartage

    hartage Monkey+++

    The special attention I was refering to is from LE not news media sensationalism. I think LE understands and appreciates the ability of the garand (and other large caliber rifle rounds) to go through things and still do a number on a person. Bonnie and Clyde made good use of the penetrative capability of the 30-06 (via BAR) against LE that would otherwise been safe behind the car,wall, etc.

    I'm sure it worries more than one LE person when you have that kind of penetration and the rate of fire an auto-loader offers. Nevermind that short of the ceramic hardplate over your heart vests won't do much to stop large caliber rounds.

    My understanding (from a single person in a gun store) was that a class was needed to buy the garand. He seemed to allude that it was for that specific rifle. Garand is one of my last options anyways because of the price. .308 would be more the ideal price/performance ratio for me.
  17. hartage

    hartage Monkey+++

    Hey good to hear. But it seems I just might buy on-line. I just read a page suggesting that it is cheaper to buy on-line and have it transfered to a CA dealer than buying it in CA. Going to do more research but the M1A looks like a winner to me. Good to know some rifles escaped the "you can't have it" disease plaguing CA.
  18. ghrit

    ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

    To get a Garand (or any other item from the CMP) you have to show that you have participated in some sort of weapons related activities. For example, even membership in a CMP sanctioned trap and/or skeet club will qualify, if it is related in some fashion to competitive shooting. ATA membership qualifies, NRA club affiliation is useful. In fact, I used my membership at a trap club for my target Kimber. Also, sanctioned training sessions of several types can be used with proof of completion. I can use my Appleseed shoot attendance as a qualifier for a rifle when it comes time to visit the CMP site and order up a milsurp Garand.) So far as general purchase of a Garand, just take your checkbook with you to a gun show or gun shop and do what needs done.
  19. hartage

    hartage Monkey+++

    You are in VA I'm in CA I have come to expect so much more red-tape and hoops to jump through than anywhere else. We can't just go to the gun store or show and come home with anything. We have to be told to wait like a 5yo and eat our vegies before we get desert. Handguns is another class you have to complete before you can buy one. Of course our toys here are inferior to anybody else's by law. Just be glad you live outside CA.
  20. RightHand

    RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

    If you get a decent M1a and spend a little time and a little money tweeking it, you will have a weapon that will equal those in any other location. There are many things you can do legally to enhance the accuracy and smoothness. I guess it all depends on what you want to do with it. You're not going to sling it over your shoulder and walk the street of LA unchallenged but you will have a very fine firearm that has the potential for excellent groups at 600+ yds and has enough takedown power for anything you could likely want. One of the reasons its a Coast Guard designated weapon is that it can take the engine out of a drug boat.

    Do enough research so you know what you are buying and what improvements can be made without spending a fortune.
survivalmonkey SSL seal warrant canary