Any trouble with American Eagle ammo?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by AxesAreBetter, Feb 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Howdy y'all. Went out shooting today, and loaded a .357 down with American Eagle half jacket hollows, and in one cylinder, I had two failures to fire, and what looked like weak strikes on the primers...

I've been shooting this gun for over ten years, got bookoo thousands of rounds through it, and this is the first time it has EVER misfired for any reason...

Loaded up a full cylinder of some other brand, and ran it like a race gun...no hickups, solid primer strikes. Any thoughts?

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Bad batch of primers.... Do you still have the Box, for the Ammo? If so, tear off the DateCode, and mail it with the two Unloaded MissFire Cases, back to the OEM. They will Replace the Box and usually the Postage as well...

3M-TA3, Cruisin Sloth and Motomom34 like this.
  3. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I''ll see if I can find them. I just wasn't sure what to think.

4. BTPost

Most OEMs will look at the information, and inspect the Primers.... Then trace the Primer Lot back to the Primer OEM, and get a handle, on how many failure to fire Reports, came back for that LOT.. If it is more than 3% then they usually will Recall the Lot, and ALL the Ammo, that was loaded with that lot of Primers, with 1000% Refund to the buyers...

3M-TA3, Yard Dart, AD1 and 1 other person like this.
  5. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Appreciate it.

6. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

About three years ago I had a single round out of a box of factory .308 American Eagle that wouldn't chamber. Looking closely at the rim it was bent back toward the bolt face all the way around, effectively making the cartridge case too long.
    The leverage from a bolt action would probably have been enough to force it but I hate doing stuff like that and taking a chance of getting a round stuck in the chamber.

Motomom34 likes this.
  7. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I have generally had good luck with American Eagle rounds...

8. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

A number of years ago when I worked at a local range/gun shop, there were hundreds of complaints about that brand of ammo. So much that we stopped selling it. From hard primers to double charged rounds to no powder in the round. Has their QC changed in the past few years? It doesn't sound like it.

Motomom34 likes this.
  9. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

No problem here.

I do not have any target ammo.

10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Years ago, I had problems with lrn cartridges in 38 spl. Fortunately, non of the short loads got stuck, but performance was all over the place on target. Haven't bought any since, and have no intention to do so.

11. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

yes you can . I don't think ammo is considered an explosive. You do have to have an ORM-D label on the package. I've ordered many cases of ammo that have been delivered via USPS

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  12. BTPost

Spent Cases, are NOT "Explosives" or even "Ammunition".... You must Pull the Projectiles, Drain out the Powder, and then they are Mailable.... The Postmaster, if he even Looks, will see a Dent in the Primer, and assume that the Primer is Dead.... It is just Metal, at that point... Folks have been mailing, Once Fired Brass, forever... Heck, Gater & SeaCowboys have mailed me, used .308 Brass a bunch of times.... Never an issue...

Gator 45/70 and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  13. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

I have not had a problem with American Eagle, but then I don't shoot much of it. Sounds like a bad batch of primers. Were you shooting single action or double action? Fast or slow?

What I do have problems with are Remington .22s, any type of Rem .22s. I refuse to buy them and it will have to get a lot worse then if has been the last three/four years for me to consider them again.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Double, slow.

15. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

I was wondering because in DA the hammer does not come back as far and has less momentum when it hits. When firing as quickly as possible the cylinder is just hitting home when the hammer falls and at times it seems to take the primer slightly on the side. Yes I know that it can't happen that way, but come back and tell that again after working on a bunch of DA revolvers.

Other things to check are timing, head space and rim thicknesses of the various cartridges (this wouldn't be the first case of thin rims I've seen, Some cartridges just seem to all have a different thickness from the factory), any end play, the firing pin nose. Possibly replace the hammer spring and see what happens too.

16. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I have run it DA since, and it has worked fine. The cylinder it failed in fired three, misfires, fired, misfired, fire...

17. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

I have fired literally tens of thousands of rounds of American Eagle (used to be what we bought for training)...mostly 45acp and 9mm...can't recall any failures.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  18. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

It's new around here...only seen it since the .22Lr ammo craze, so I have no basis for it.

19. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Although others will vary, according to Hornady:
    Shipping Restrictions | USPS

20. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Wife tried Remington 22lr at the range yesterday FTF about every 5/6 round.
    The cheaper Blazer 22lr. ran just fine.

1. T. Riley
  2. duane
  3. OldDude49
  4. oil pan 4
  5. Oddcaliber
  6. deMolay
  7. Grandpa Patch
  8. Bishop
    Thread

Socket mold

Here is how I make my slingshot ammo with a socket. [MEDIA]