Energy Anybody know anything about solar systems?

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Lilikoian, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Lilikoian

Lilikoian Monkey

I'm on the Big Island aka Hawaii island. I will be going to an auto parts store today and will bring all your advice along.

Still having problems, so tightening the connections wasn't the answer.

Motomom34 and chelloveck like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I'm betting your batteries are either sulfated and, or require an equalize charge. It doesn't sound like they are able to operate at maximum capacity. You may have to replace them, add a panel and perhaps replace your charge controller. I'd buy a small generator to give the batteries an equalize charge once a week.

chelloveck and ghrit like this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

At this point, sulphation is a good bet, but not assured.

Here's more information about batteries.
    Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery University
    An equalizing charge is nothing more than a deliberate overcharge to remove sulfate crystals that build up on the plates over time. Left unchecked, sulfation can reduce the overall capacity of the battery and render the battery unserviceable in extreme cases.

BUT it MUST be done under fairly close observation, AND will require that the charge controller be bypassed or adjusted to allow an overvoltage condition. It is very unlikely that Lili's solar panels will be able to do an equalizer.

chelloveck and Dunerunner like this.
  4. Lilikoian

Lilikoian Monkey

My batteries are still under warranty. The store I bought them from closed down, but I can probably find an Interstate dealer here. I'll try calling them.

I hope everybody here is safe from the storm.

5. Lilikoian

Lilikoian Monkey

Read the warranty and it only covers defects, so that's not an option.

Read the Battery university article about testing SOC and it says battery needs to be tested after 24 hour rest. SO it looks like I'm going to have to find a way to not use the system for 24 hours. Will ponder how to do that.

6. Dunerunner

You can test the electrolyte specific gravity and battery voltage any time... They may be talking about a load test.

Cruisin Sloth and chelloveck like this.
  7. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Put the Money into 3 same TYPE of electrical panels !!! Gen set is for a major power hog , She has a Fan ! , the rest can be serviced Via a Buck or step down unit , Wall warts EAT watts & cost way too much panel to feed.

Test In AM after having enough panels , (every week you'll see them creep up to 12.70) YOU CAN NOT CHARGE 210 amp hour batterys with 5-7 amps from one panel as your using power !!!
    NOT in any math !!!
    Your batterys are damaged , but get them charged & then a HI charge & test : My NEW battery Bank..... | Survival Monkey Forums

That is important also
    Sloth

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  8. Lilikoian

Lilikoian Monkey

Is the problem the panel? I don't understand which part of the equation is wrong.

9. Lilikoian

Lilikoian Monkey

Each battery took 1 quart of distilled water to fill :(

10. Dunerunner

You are under paneled. Your system produces enough energy to float charge your battery array (maintain batteries at an existing charge level). Your charge controller needs to be able to deliver up to 30 Amps to properly (fully) charge your batteries and provide power to the inverter loads. Your batteries are dying a slow death due to sulfation and being in an continuous undercharged condition over time.

It is about break even for two more panels and a new charge controller, or a small gasoline generator and battery charger that would recharge your batteries and provide power to your inverter loads. The generator would only have to run a few hours once a week.

A battery charger like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KF7SLJO/?tag=survivalmonke-20, and a generator like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SMNLF4M/?tag=survivalmonke-20. The generator is pull rope recoil start.

Genset and charger around $600

2 solar panels - $232.00 each
    Midnite solar MNKID-W charge controller - $440.00
    Installation ????
    @Cruisin Sloth can you validate the solar stuff?

That based upon your batteries being serviceable...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    Lilikoian likes this.
  11. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Those batteries likely need 2 amps per string just to bring them up to charging voltage.
    1 battery by its self, 2 amps.
    2 batteries in parallel, 4 amp.
    So you could have 2, 4, 8 or how ever many amps going to the batteries, depending on how many you have and not actually get any effective charging.

The batteries need to be charged at 10% to 13% of the amp hour rating. So if you have a 100ah battery you want 10 to 13 amps going to it, plus have enough panels to cover any loads drawing while the batteries are charging

Lilikoian likes this.
  12. Cruisin Sloth

Your taking the watts @ stickered value & not estimating any loss or bad days in the winter .
    So I picked a total of four panels Poor girl solar.JPG with very close specs as in power .
    Then in parallel for a 12Vdc system that works , in 2 X2 for 24 Vdc and in series for a 48Vdc , so flexible in that config . with a KID . When Lilikoian Monkey gets a DVM that can test 10 amps , I'll post how to check panels .
    Sloth

Lilikoian and Dunerunner like this.
  13. Cruisin Sloth

This is why you need a DVM
    digital multimeter how to use on google has lots .

14. Cruisin Sloth

Your Tsm-280PA14 panel should put out 44.4 Vdc & short circuit amp's 8.33 Adc. =
    280 watts .
    Nice panel , not like the ones in the above videos , them are old school ..

15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Yeah unless you have a good MPPT charger you won't get any where near name plate watts.
    Typically you get between 66% and 78% of panel watts to the battery with a standard PWM type controller with the panel in full sun.
    Then if your panels are not on trackers expect close to 50% of rated watts on average.

16. Cruisin Sloth

Were the top of the plates showing & they needed to be covered with water ?

Also when OR if you can get a charge into them , Do the charge out side OR place plastic down under the batterys and then newspaper so when the charge is taken in the acid might come out of the cells & bubble ..
    Sloth
    Like the above link !

17. Lilikoian

Lilikoian Monkey

18. Lilikoian

Lilikoian Monkey

The plates were covered in water.

19. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

WEN 56200i 2000 Watt Inverter Generator, CARB Compliant

All in all, I'd personally prefer the Honda 2000i. But it is a lot more expensive.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  20. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

For that kind of Money you can buy a NICE USED Onan CCF 5Kw Gasoline Fueled Genset that turns 1800Rpm and will still be running when you Grandchildren are old... or even a Nice USED Onan DJA 3Kw Onan Diesel Genset... I bought both my DJAs for less that $400US....

Alf60, oldawg, Lilikoian and 2 others like this.
  1. T. Riley
  2. Prepper12
  3. Navyair
  4. Oddcaliber
  5. Cwmoore
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. CrazyJs
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid