Energy Anybody know anything about solar systems?

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Lilikoian, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

If she can find one around Hilo...

Lilikoian likes this.
  2. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Covered plates is good , so real low charge . Cells should use some water , the acid is not lost , so just good distilled water.
    My 24volt system eats 1 USG of water per 2 months & thats good & normal .
    I Equalize mine once a month @ 29.6Vdc ..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@oil pan 4
    I was not saying the poster panel was putting out full power !! I was showing the way to check the panel (Thats ALWAYS the start )
    & I gave Her spec's so she could follow the videos .
    If she got a dvm & had a sunny day then that would rule out a weak panel .
    then she could move on to the output to the battery !!

There is a method to diagnose & in a system order .
    Sloth

chelloveck, Lilikoian and techsar like this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I've a sneaking suspicion that Lili wants to be on the down low, might be a bit of overkill for those Onans.

Lilikoian likes this.
  4. Cruisin Sloth

Id like to see the fan so I can figure load..

I just measured a box fan 3 speed type low 55w med 60-65 & high was 85 watt & then I used a ceiling fan in the duck barn , slow 42 watt to full (never use it at that speed was 72 watt). So Im also on Solar there with 6-350 (2s-3P strings)watt panels 24Vdc system on a classic hitting the Battery with 40 to 50 amps while driving the inverter of 200 up to 900 watts when were working down there. Inverter 2500W Outback .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Added after recalculating factor in a 20% margin ,Sloth
    Did more deeper research on this inverter 86% PF & no sleep mode so a power HOG !! Just for a fan & wall warts . Badly design system !!
    Winter storms & winter , 2 panels min WITH !!! WITH a Brat & a SS300 would fix this !!! Summer , you could use a hair drier ;)
    If I have my reading correct & my guesstimating from pictures .

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  5. Dunerunner

Aha... This is progressing nicely. I might learn how to troubleshoot a solar system!! :D

Lilikoian likes this.
  6. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

[pop]

Lilikoian likes this.
  7. Lilikoian

Lilikoian Monkey

How did you find a used one and get it shipped to AK?

Update on my system: I filled the 2 batteries with distilled water the other day. My neighbor let me run a few extension cords to his house, so I'm living on the grid for a few days, totally enjoying not having to think about whether using the fan :). I guess I'll give it a few days to check the batteries. But can somebody please give me an idea of what not using the system does for the batteries, while they percolate with the addition of two quarts of water?

chelloveck likes this.
  8. Dunerunner

With the inverter turned off, all power generated by your solar panel goes to the batteries.

9. Lilikoian

Lilikoian Monkey

My power needs are low. The fan is 25-35 watts, and is the biggest user of energy besides charging my ipad, which is about 31 watts per Apple. The modem is next, but can't get specs on it. Typical modem is 20 watts. So 100 watts per hour MAX is so little that 1 panel should be sufficient, right?

Anyway, because cost is the crucial factor, I am pondering:
    1. Connecting to the grid. Cost: building permit, building plans and licensed electrician. Working on getting those estimates now.
    2. Generator - but it looks like I'd have to buy one on the island due to problems with shipping. I think the problem is that it's considered hazardous even on a ship, but I'll keep researching.
    3. Fixing the PV system. Like I said above, letting the batteries percolate while I gather more info.

10. Lilikoian

Lilikoian Monkey

Will they recharge to full and then work like they did a year ago, when the system worked just fine for my needs? Or can someone remind me what I have to buy to check them and then what do I do once I check them...

chelloveck and Dunerunner like this.
  11. Dunerunner

You will need a hydrometer that measures electrolyte specific gravity. You will need a multimeter to measure battery voltage of each battery. Your system probably will not equalize charge the batteries. An Equalize charge causes the plates to swell slightly flaking off the accumulated sulfation. No way your system charge controller or panel array can do that. I doubt your batteries will return to "Like New" condition.

After your batteries have been on the dedicated charge with the inverter off...

Measure the specific gravity of all cells. They should all read the same or approximately the same.
    Measure the battery voltage (unloaded). That means inverter off, battery disconnect (if your system has one) open. i.e., no load on the batteries.

We'll start there.

Lilikoian, chelloveck and ghrit like this.
  12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I usually just watch Craig'sList, and the Onan forum over on Smokstak.com... for good deals on Onan Gensets... we have weekly Barge Service, out of Seattle, with Alaska Marine Lines, all summer long... Our last Barge of the season, closes out, tomorrow at Noon, and will be here, next Thursday... Then nothing until next May... That's right, you are in Hawaii, fortunately for you Alaska Marine Lines now services the Islands, so you should be able to get something over to you...

Lilikoian and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  13. Cruisin Sloth

Bit of a flaky poster here & now has grid , no charger But asks for more help !

As I haven't typed enough .
    You need to READ , REREAD , Understand , what your reading .
    Done .
    Sloth
    my time is needed for me .

14. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Come on, man. Don't be so harsh on the lady. Not everyone has a complete grasp on solar panels, batteries, charge controllers, etc. Heck, the "Boss's" family thinks my 12vdc system will shock them. It's been in service for three or four years and they still won't go near it! Be patient with her. At least she's trying to learn more about her system. She was told she came to the right place for help. Let's not make her start second guessing herself, now.

Alf60, Motomom34, Lilikoian and 3 others like this.
  15. Dunerunner

Well, that is special. Let's bring her along slowly. You remind me of my first mentor who threw a schematic of a complex system in front of me and asked what the sequence of operation was. I barely knew what an electron was...

Not everyone has your depth of knowledge.

Alf60, Lilikoian, ghrit and 2 others like this.
  16. jasper

jasper Monkey

Well I imagine you do not have enough solar panels to continually keep up with your usage while your weather fluctuates. The batteries take a bit longer to recharge than you might imagine even at green light. So it's nice to see that people are exploring your specs with you. And you need to go through your draw as well. You might consider a kill a watt. But you probably toasted your batteries. You will have to read up on adding fluids and testing them. I use a 12 v system with one 12v deep cycle battery for my water pump and I have at least two panels for cloudy days.

17. Cruisin Sloth

We have all given links to DVM's & a hydrometer , plus posted you tubes .. were on page 6 and still post 110 is asking for what we have posted.
    I haven't seen or heard of "Well I got this reading from the panels" or any testing , so were all throwing darts .
    If they want help & WANT TO LIVE OFF GRID , basic knolage is needed with a DVM & Hydrometer , ya know the fish story etc.

Sloth

18. Dunerunner

I am thinking she might be afraid and not know how to safely disconnect the panel to get a reading, might not know how to get a battery reading from a voltmeter or even how to use a voltmeter, she did mention using a hydrometer for brewing though but those are free floating and dropped into a sample jar. We at least got pictures of the "system", just hope we can get a read on the battery state of charge. They may be ready for the recycle bin.

Lilikoian likes this.
  19. Lilikoian

Lilikoian Monkey

Great news! Interstate will test and if they can be fixed, will recharge for free! And I can drive there. Now just need to get someone to carry the 65 pound batteries...

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    DKR, Asia-Off-Grid and Dunerunner like this.
  20. Lilikoian

Lilikoian Monkey

I have questions about placement of my panel. I am at latitude 19.

I have read differing reports about how latitude affects power, such as I can get more power just by virtue of being closer to the equator. I read somewhere that the angle of your panel should be the same as your latitude. I also have an app called "PV Optimizer" that I have tried to use for panel placement, but I'm not sure it works.

If anybody can confirm or deny...

Asia-Off-Grid and Dunerunner like this.
  1. T. Riley
  2. Prepper12
  3. Navyair
  4. Oddcaliber
  5. Cwmoore
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. CrazyJs
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid