Energy Anybody know anything about solar systems?

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Lilikoian, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Your latitude is below 25°, use the latitude times 0.87... So, 19X.87= 16.53 degrees. You would be fine at 17.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Solar is remarkably tolerant of slight misalignment, millwright precision is way plenty overkill. Point to geographic south (not magnetic; if you use a compass, you will be a tad over 10 degrees too far to the west, or east, I forget) at about the same angle as your latitude, that is as close as you need and as you have said (and Dunerunner loves his degree splitter - :lol:). Dunno what that PV optimizer can do for you if both panels are in full sun and aimed in the same direction. IIRC, a pv gadget is useful if there are more than one set of panels and are aimed in different directions to take advantage of (say) seasonal or roof angle differences of insolation. It will be part of the control system used for that sort of lashup.

ETA: Cheap trick to find geographic north and align your panels. Drive a peg in the ground vertically and watch its shadow. At exactly noon local to the panel (your time zone is close enough) the peg shadow will point directly north, regardless of season at your latitude. With winter coming, the shadow will be longer and easier to see where it points. (A year on the equator, well that did my sense of north and south NO good at all.) You might put that peg in right on the bottom edge of the panels and see if the shadow lines up nicely with the edge of the panel at noon.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  3. Dunerunner

So, @Lilikoian ... How are the batteries doing? I take it since you are off line they didn't fair well. Just curious.

Lilikoian and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  4. Lilikoian

Lilikoian Monkey

I have been happily hooked up to the grid for the last week :)
    I'm like...I can vacuum without thinking about whether I have enough power! The wonder of it!

Anyway, took my batteries to Interstate. They tested them for charge and with the hydrometer. They tested good in all 6 cells. The battery dude told me to let them charge for another week under panel, and then they will be tiptop. So, am still on grid till Tuesday.

I have a reminder to add water on the first of every month. I'm saving up money to buy a second panel.

Thanks to all of you guys for all your help.

To those of you still reading this thread, I want to make a comment. In light of all the people facing loss of homes etc. due to hurricanes, I see a real need for a resource like this forum. It's hurricane season here in the Pacific also, but so far this season we've seen nothing. One never knows what might cause life-threatening complications. In my case, the reason I am off-grid was NOT planned for. It was due to a series of unfortunate events that I could NOT have planned for. Anyway, thank you to all of you :)

5. Dunerunner

I would still save for a small generator and battery charger. When it is pouring rain, you aren't going to be able to run extension cords to a neighbor who may or may not have power. It's a prep. and you can use the generator to equalize charge your batteries once a month. Then, you are somewhat energy independent.

Lilikoian, techsar and ghrit like this.
  6. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

@Lilikoian glad to hear your batteries are aces.

Hopefully with a bit of simple test gear (Voltmeter and hydrometer) you will able able to keep the system running well.

Again, you may want to consider an inverter with a lower overhead power draw.

Best of luck going forward.

Lilikoian, techsar and Dunerunner like this.
  7. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Morningstar ss300 inverter !
    save for 3 more panels & make sure they have VERY SIMILAR numbers from the back sticker , 10% max within range

Lilikoian, Asia-Off-Grid and techsar like this.
  8. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Mine are the 220vac version of the US version. But, I love 'em! Wouldn't trade a Morningstar Sure Sine 300, 220v Inverter for anything in this world.

Lilikoian likes this.
  9. Lilikoian

Lilikoian Monkey

Voltmeter and hydrometer are on the shopping list.
    What order should I buy these three expensive items:
    1. Generator (easy to get a used one here)
    2. Panel(s)
    3. Inverter

Motomom34 likes this.
  10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

1. Panels
    2. Inverter
    3. Generator and on this, look for one that runs at 1800Rpm or less....

DKR, Lilikoian and techsar like this.
  11. Lilikoian

Lilikoian Monkey

I'm looking for a fan that uses less power than my current one, which draws 20 watts.
    How does a 12 volt fan work? I don't have a car charger in my cabin.

12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Most of those fans are "Brushless" and they work just fine.... They use a tiny Computer Chip to make the waveform, and drive a few Tiny PowerFETs that drive the Coils... Very Low Power to Work Produced Ratio... (Efficient)

ghrit likes this.
  13. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

A Dorman - Champ 12-Volt Oscillating Fan (Dorman - Champ 12-Volt Oscillating Fan 7-942: Advance Auto Parts) draws 1.5 amps on high - and it is an oscillating fan - often used by truckers..
    1.5(A) * 12.6 (VDC) = 18 watts, and with no loss due to inverter overhead or conversion loss.

This is just the first fan I found on a quick Web dive, as it is a nice size and oscillates.

I'm sure there are others with less draw to be found....

Dunerunner likes this.
  14. Dunerunner

Great example @DKR. I thought the same thing. My old motorhome had two of those mounted on the dash and they worked great! This would, however; require running a fused D/C circuit into the cabin, directly from the battery source and wiring it into a connector of some sort or hard wiring it into the fan.

15. ghrit

Gotta disagree, get the gennie first. That way, you can keep the batteries up to snuff until the inverter and panels fit in the budget.

I add, gratuitously, that the small gennies are 4 cycle invertor type and typically crank over quietly at more than 5000 rpm. Work fine and last plenty long enough when used sparingly and when needed. The older rule about slower is better is still true, but applies to older and larger machines particularly.

16. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

That is a huge draw in solar , the truck as a 400 amp alt & diesel engine .
    BT had the answer in puter fans of 6 & 8 " server type .
    Use a buck stepdown to control the speeds
    I see no reason for an inverter on to move air ,
    The wastage of transfers between powers is a panel price .
    Sloth

17. Lilikoian

Lilikoian Monkey

Update: I'm back off the grid and solar system is performing beautifully!
    It was the batteries and my not knowing to maintain them.
    In this case, knowledge IS power! Literally, lol

I would like one of you techies to take a look at the free app called "PV Optimizer". It is a tad too technical for me to try to figure out, and who knows, maybe it will be another item in your own toolbox.

Asia-Off-Grid, Dunerunner and techsar like this.
  18. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Appears to only be set up to work in Australia... :(

Glad to hear things are working once again. Make a note to check the electrolyte levels on a regular schedule so it doesn't get overlooked. Also check the connections regularly ...they can get loose due to thermal cycling - hot/cold/hot/cold...

(y)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Lilikoian likes this.
  19. Dunerunner

I am so glad your batteries were serviceable and are now back online storing power for you. Rule of thumb, check electrolyte levels monthly. Keep a chart, and check them off when completed.

Lilikoian and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  20. ghrit

Glad you're back in business. Now for the small gennie to make sure you don't fall behind on charge ---

BTW, I don't think that pv optimiser will do anything for you at this point. It's more for larger fixed panel arrangements as might be found on the roof of a house with different angled peaks.

Asia-Off-Grid and Dunerunner like this.
  1. T. Riley
  2. Prepper12
  3. Navyair
  4. Oddcaliber
  5. Cwmoore
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. CrazyJs
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid