Energy Anybody know anything about solar systems?

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Lilikoian, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Another vote for keeping your batteries properly charged. Did you buy additional panels?

2. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

We Use math & hydrometers & a DVM , Don't go against what was written in copper . LEARN ! It's friggin EZ !
    killing your cells slowly as many do , Your the norm till you self learn .

We have an Island up here that is not grid fed . Black as night because they all have been sold the junk & math was never involved .
    WET Coast of Canada is what needs the math days to decide . Rain has clouds ,, Who-da-Thunk ? so they are all in your boat .

Get YOURSELF tools & Learn if you want to live this way . It's EZ , spend time on yourself !
    Sloth

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

It really is easy. (If you can reconcile a checkbook, you're home free.) And the tools are not overly expensive. Work up to it, no point to hurry and worry. No one is EVER completely prepared for every eventuality, it's a life long deal.

4. Cruisin Sloth

Thanks G
    Im not being a Shithead , BUT !!
    Believe in YOURSELF & WE CAN HELP
    20-80 bucks MAX , Better quality you will win in the long time.

5. Asia-Off-Grid

Wait. We're supposed to reconcile checkbooks?

It's okay, we still love ya, Shithead. :D

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  6. Lilikoian

Lilikoian Monkey

Is THAT why I can't get it to work in Hawaii???

oldawg likes this.
  7. Lilikoian

Lilikoian Monkey

Thanks to everyone's advice, I'm going to buy a used generator. There are 83 listed on CL on this island.
    Here's a link: hawaii for sale "generator" - craigslist

Suggestions? I have no idea what to look for. Would $300 max get me an okay gennie?

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Look for an Onan Genset, like a Model, CCK, or NH, or even a BGE Look for an 1800Rpm Unit... You should be able to find a Running one that makes Power for $300US.... Then if you find one, go to SmokStak.com in the Onan Forum, and post the Model & Serial Number, and ask for the Operatios, Service & Parts Manuals, plus the Factory Build List... This Will get you everything you never thought you might need for that Genset... Tons of these. Were installed in MotorHomes that have long since gone to Motorhome heaven, but these Gensets only have A few hours on them... Change the Oil, Filters, and SparkPlugs, and then do the routine Maintainance as specified, in the Manuals, and likely the Genset will outlast your children...

Ganado and Lilikoian like this.
  9. Cruisin Sloth

MS LiIk
    Portable Solar Generator

Thats a DEAL , Classic with a magnum full wave & a panel !!!

This is nice to see : DCX3000 36/48 volt DC Generator

Not for you Ms Lilk
    And I don't see anything in your power group from CL on the link you posted .
    A gen set needs a battery maintainer or a real CLEAN charger , NOT a crappy one that will kill the batterys & stuff your using.
    AC Ripple is a killer on DC items !

Sloth

10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Or build your own variable speed DC generator with a medium duty truck alternator and horizontal shaft gasoline or diesel engine, run it at any speed you want, 1,000 to 3,600rpm what ever you need.
    $300 could buy you something decent but could end up buying some one else's problem.

A DC generator would cost how ever cheaply you could find an engine and proper alternator and pullies. Could be around $300.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    oldawg likes this.
  11. ghrit

CCK engine is 16 hp. Somewhat larger than lili needs ---
    WAY overkill for lili. Think small.

12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I say medium duty truck alt because I know it works, I have not tried using a much cheaper and easier to find 10si or 12si serries alt. A CS serries alt should work.

13. Asia-Off-Grid

Maybe contact the people with the ad to buy broken Honda gensets. I bought one of two Honda EU20i's back in March, here in Cambodia. (For you, it would be an EU2000i.) I wouldn't trade 'em for anything. New, I paid $888 each. Not sure what you could get a used / repaired one for, there. The EU2000i will have a built in 12vdc charging circuit, in case you need to top up batteries. Not sure how many amperes output, though, as I have never used mine for that purpose.

ghrit likes this.
  14. ghrit

Couldn't find a DC amp rating, but they do say limit the 12 volt to charging car type batteries since there is no voltage regulator. That has some other implications, but probably not significant since a battery charger run off the AC is probably more practical.

oldawg and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  15. Cruisin Sloth

The Honda 1000 / 2000 watt inverter is a 10 AMP 12Vdc output on its 12 Vdc side (Useless ) So Now we need a Iota battery maintainer of a 15 amp & thats 300 bucks & can use the GAS to run the engine that makes ac power from the genset & now plug in a Iota 15 amp battery maintainer
    Then the gas has changed 3 times for DC power !!
    Sloth

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  16. ghrit

Too true, it isn't the most efficient way to keep the cans full. None the less, it is not the primary power. And with the built in inefficiencies of solar (and lili's shortage of panels) to begin with, the losses have to be charged off as conveniences. Then, of course, there's the two is one, one is none side of the argument.

Cruisin Sloth and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  17. Asia-Off-Grid

In that case, it makes me very happy that I didn't purchase these things for their 12vdc outputs. :D

18. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

If you've not got much sun, DSCN4197.JPG than wind is another course.
    $500. 600 watts came with it's own controller .
    Had this one 5 years or so and hasn't failed yet.
    I have wind but not steady 20 MPH value.
    It's mounted on my shop trailer along with my solar and battery bank .
    My feeling is, that if , when I move it all goes with me.
    And should I move to some where there is less sun and more wind , I'm covered. I ,may get a second .
    Being prepared doesn't mean all those kinds of investments pay all at once , they pay when things get tough, and I've been there done that.
    I bet most of you have guns that cost significantly more, and don't use every day, much less hunt with every day.
    Some of you that claim poverty , I've been poor but I had invested in solar when I was working , before things went south for a while. And this investment paid off big for me and my family.

19. Asia-Off-Grid

What is your dump load?

20. Cruisin Sloth

@arleigh
    Your saying that wind turbine is internal regulated so no charge controller or brake load ?
    Explain your setup plz, Start another thread because this one still needs help
    Sloth

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    ghrit likes this.
  1. T. Riley
  2. Prepper12
  3. Navyair
  4. Oddcaliber
  5. Cwmoore
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. CrazyJs
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid