anybody with .380 experience??

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Tango3, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

I've always liked the feel, size and weight of the browning bda and/or berretta 84/5/6/7 sized autos, but I have absolutely no experience with the .380.
    I know its a "9mm Kurz(short)"and has less energy than a .38 special. Anybody like this round for carry??

2. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

I've fired them, the caliber makes for nice pocket guns. I do believe they are under powered for defense, but it's better to have a smaller gun you'll actually carry than a bigger one you'll leave at home. The caliber has stopped a lot of people, but not very often on the first shot (from what I gather). With that said, usually the person who lands the first shot is the winner regardless of caliber. I'd feel comfortable enough carrying one as a pocket gun unless I thought there was a high probability of an armed attacker, but I also think that a snub 38 special doesn't take up much more space in the pocket and packs quite a bit more wallop.

They have been relied upon for a long time by some European police, and even some military forces at times.

Bullets average about 85 or 90 grain, less recoil than a 38, more than a 32 (and more stopping power).

3. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

I used to own a cheap .380 handgun. I fired it a couple of times and then I sold it and put the money towards the purchase of a 9mm. It is something to have as if you need anything to defend with, though when you hear of Thuggy McThug killing someone with it, usually it's because they emptied an entire mag or two or three into someone. If I am not going with a .45 as a carry, I'd not get a .380. Just my thought on it.

4. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I sometimes carry a little Walther in .380, usually in the summer due to less clothing being worn. I am quite confident that I can put the pills in the proper place with it if needed.

5. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I had a walther ppks in .380.

It's a snappy little round. Kinda made the web of my thumb hurt after a box of ammo. has a different feel than others. I'd say it could be carried.

I'd also say that you should carry the largest caliber you feel comfortable with.

6. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

[applaud] what he said nothing wrong with a 380 at all. they will shut you down in a hurry

7. BigO01

BigO01 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Fired 2 380's one was a Walther the other a Grendal .

As stated not the "Ideal" defensive caliber but when some punk pulls out a knife and wants your money even a 22 rimfire snubby beats your over active imagination in your hand .

8. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Thanks took my own self to Gander mtn shopping with the wife home, so I could ogle everything in the rack without being hurried out...They had all kinds of fun stuff including a used beretta 84 .380 with just enough bluing worn off to give it some character,

It just looks and feels right( mediumsized auto) the amt backups and the like are too small for my hands the 84 is a doublestack I think10 roundsnow, used to be 13rnds. $400 which I think is typically "gander moutain high"..

I love the launch platform not necessarily the caliber..but it would ride nice on my pack hip belt or in a buttpack (admittedly not agood reason to choose a defense piece)... .380 is no bear gun, but (IMHO) would do okay on: dogs, coyotes, rabid coons,jerks, perps,twerps ,hippies ,yippies, yuppies, herpes,killer bunnies etc...@ dearly personal assault range 7-15yards. S'pose I could lure the bear to chomp on my left forearm and poke him in the eye(muzzle contact), then with 10 round of cor bon +P .

9. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Over active imagination in my hand?? So you 're saying my plan of dropping my pants to intimidate the perp was a bad idea?.( when he drops the knife and busts out laughing i figured I'd pick it up and take his wallet...)

10. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

[LMAO] [fnny]

11. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

IMO the .380 thats with you beats the hell out of the howetzer in the sock drawer BUT it would be the absolute smallest cal I would even consider as a carry gun if there was any choice. If you do use it for carry and ever need to use it my advice would be to empty the mag off the bat and carrying an extra or 2 wouldnt hurt, and just for prospective I RARELY cary more than the 6 rounds in the gun for my .357.

12. ridgerunner58

ridgerunner58 Monkey+++

My usual cary is a .44 special but I do have two .380s that I carry at times.
    Maybe they're not the best stopper but I wouldn't want to be hit by one.

13. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I took my daughter out when she was 9 and showed her what one of my 'little guns' as she called them did to an apple at 30 feet. 22LR out of a 10/22 did enough damage to give her the idea that it would hurt in the arm or leg and wasn't a toy.

I guarantee that if you shoot any non professional with anything over a BB cal, he/she will tend to head the opposite direction of the lead.

We can debate cals all day but like was said above, you can only shoot what you are carrying. If that happens to be a handgun that would get you snickered out of a BlackWater locker room..... So be it.

I have a beretta .22 SHort. I still keep rounds for it too.

14. ridgerunner58

ridgerunner58 Monkey+++

melbo,

Many years ago a friend of mine was stopped by a .22 bullet. He was 5'10" and weighed about 210 lb....Darn near didn't surive.

15. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Friend of my Dad got dropped cold by a 22 to the lower leg. Of course I'd say that if he had his mind set on hurting someone, he still could've.

I think a 380 in any important area is going to stop most fights, and if not, it will at least cause the perp to pause long enough to put another 1 or 2 in him.

No, I wouldn't choose to take it into a volitile situation, but we're not talking about that, we're just talking about a daily pocket carry with low probability of needing it. I think 380 is fine.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7