Anyone converted a washer to 24-volt DC?

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by clunker, Apr 19, 2017.

1. clunker

clunker Monkey

I'm considering an off-grid RV experiment with 100% 24VDC power, but I really want my washing machine. Has anyone converted their washer to run off DC power by swapping out the motor?
    Thanks all

2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I would think you would set it up like you would an air compressor with a soft start and a timed ramp up to full power! I have not converted a washer, but the idea is pretty cool.

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

In the "Old Days" Maytag washers were powered by a Single Cyl Gasoline Engine with a Kick Starter...

VisuTrac, Tully Mars and T. Riley like this.
  4. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

1917 Maytag washer

Tully Mars and enloopious like this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Most front loaders appear to use DC motors.
    I have no idea what voltage the motor runs at but my guess would be at least 48v.
    I would just use a regular front loader powered by a 24 volt inverter or fire up a generator to power a standard upright washer.
    If you are trying to use an upright washer all the controls like the timer and water solenoids use high voltage AC power. Even my front loader appears to use high voltage AC water solenoids because they will hum while filling occasionally.
    The simplest solution is usually the best.

6. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

Thougth I saw a foot power mini washer online somewhere.... ya sit on it and pump the foot lever?

7. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

I know this doesn't answer your question, but there is no point to converting a conventional appliance to 24 VDC, even if it could be easily done. Do yourself a favor and get an inverter and run the washer from that.

8. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

What Tevin said....

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  9. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

Many times the motor is integrated into the transmission assembly that spins and agitates the tub. Trying to convert a 120 VAC motor to 24 VDC isn't practical and replacing the motor with 24 VDC is unlikely to be easy due to special motor designs to integrate it with the transmission. Also as noted before, the water control valves would have to be changed plus cycle controller.

Heed Tevin, you can most likely buy a reasonable pure sine wave inverter for less than a conversation, plus then it will work with a gennie or campground power.

AT

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  10. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I run my chicken / duck / farm washing machine off of 24Vdc system . This is the lowest system bank voltage I have stationary.
    That 24Vdc is givin to a outback inverter & then 120Vac powers Wash / OH door / Incubator /Brooder / Lights all "Normal stuff "

You can't afford the wire to supply a 24Vdc system long distance , 10 feet +

Sloth

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  11. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

In response to OldDude49 ,I have seen one also, offhand I can't think of where, but I'm sure a search on the net will turn up something. If I remember right, it even had good reviews.

12. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I think they still sell antiques gas "Maytag" that are refurbished,rebuilt. ebay

13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Get an Old Ringer MayTag, and rip out the Electric Motor, and install a Flexible Drive Cable attached to a Briggs & Stratton Lawn Mower Engine, and you have essentially the same thing.... Wouldn't take more than a day, to fabricate, with the right parts... The ISSUE would be to teach the "Little Lady" how to keep her Fingers, and T**Ts out of the Ringer.... It isn't as straight forward as one would think... I am old enough to have witnessed the ISSUE, First Hand....

VisuTrac likes this.
  14. clunker

clunker Monkey

Wow! Thank you everyone for the quick responses. Normally, I join these forums and find that I am lucky to get one response within the first week. Some great suggestions here. After a lot more research, I decided to go with the inverter approach. I hate the idea of mechanical/electrical inefficiency, but the effort and expense of converting a modern washer to 24VDC seems more wasteful than just paying for a quality inverter and some extra solar power. The human-powered option is intriguing, though. Maybe I could hook one up to my elliptical machine like the professor from "Gilligan's Island" would probably try. Gas power would certainly do the trick, but I am trying to eliminate all reliance on outside sources except for propane, and that would only be used in emergency situations.

15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Well all the other forums suck.

Human powered isn't a bad idea.

16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Might work for direct drive, human to agitator, but as we've often shown, human to electric is a losing proposition.

17. Cruisin Sloth

That would be get in a warm bath tub dressed with partner & have at it . .
    I'd pick the solar / inverter system @ 48Vdc & have clean dry fun !!

18. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I used to wash my laundry in Afghanistan years ago before they had laudry service on base and doing it by hand sucks.

19. clunker

clunker Monkey

Yes. Doing it by hand seems like a lot of work, which is why I desperately want a machine to do it for me. I'm OK with growing veggies and raising chickens for food, chopping wood for heat, and catching rain for water, but God help me if have to spend an hour hunched over a bathtub to do laundry every week.

20. Cruisin Sloth

two 300w high voltage CS300 set to power a KID that feeds 4 6volt DC golf cart batterys and use a 2000 watt prosine , use breakers & do it correct . You will have enough power for a washing machine , PLUS .
    Do it correct once So adding is ez, and no fires or problems .
    Do the washing on sunny days & dry with one of these Hills
    Links set @clunker

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7