Anyone converted a washer to 24-volt DC?

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by clunker, Apr 19, 2017.

1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Actually I have set aside an antique wooden butter churn , It is about 15 or 20 gallons and turns end over end .
    One end of the barrel has an opening that comes off.
    You could get a plastic drum and do the same thing .

2. Evad

Evad Neophyte Monkey

I've done DC washers a couple of ways. We used to power our house with a 32vdc Jacobs Wind Electric. At the time, it was easy to convert an old wringer washer to DC...just change the motor making sure that it was a 1,600 rpm 1/4 hp unit. It worked fine but required one's full attention while doing the washing.
    A second thing I tried was to take a top loader and change the motor...it's not that easy to come up with one that is configured the same, that fits and has the same rpm range. In this case, I used a 24vdc motor (on the 32vdc system ! ) and, where the controls sent current to the motor, I used a 120vac relay to turn the motor on/off. Then, I used an old, and small, 32vdc to 120vac multivibrator type of inverter to run the controls. It worked. However, the 24vdc motor on the 32vdc system turned too quickly...the clothes were virtually dry after the spin cycle because of the high spin rate. The other difficulty was balance...make no mistake about that. In effect, it would have required nearly as much attention as the wringer washer.
    So...my conclusion...inverters are pretty inexpensive nowadays so I'd use one and, probably a front load washer. I've checked out the energy consumption of one such washer and they take very little energy to do a load. Now, I've got a 24vdc solar system so I've also used a 500 w 24vdc -120vac SCR based inverter (sine wave) to do the job and it worked alright. Those old SCR inverters will tolerate an overload very nicely and the soft start motors on these washers don't take as large an inrush to get them going. Still, during the spin cycle, the washer took about 750watts.
    I'M a "DC guy" as much as possible but one has to balance the factors and choosing the right washer, along with the right inverter (probably sine wave would be best not to run into unforeseen problems) would be the way I'd go. On the other hand, I see that there are 12vdc washers available nowadays...they could probably be converted to other voltages but would it be worth the trouble ? You'll probably need an inverter for some other stuff anyway.

3. Westinghouse vs Edison. AC won for a reason, It is much more efficient. I squared R loses are much higher With a DC system. Use an inverter.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  4. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

And start the harvest well also , do a 48Vdc at least in thinking , 24Vdc as a minimum Convert if needed !! There is a reason we all like higher voltages !!
    Sloth

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7