Anyone ever do candels from tallow?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by monkeyman, Nov 6, 2005.

1. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

We have a bunch of tallow and I know aside from rending it for soap and such that it can also be used to make candles but I don't know exactly how so I'm kind of trying to find info on it so we can try it just as a kind of experiment.

2. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

'Fraid not. I've only made them from beeswax. A very time consuming endeavor.

Have you tried doing a search of the net to see if there is any info?

3. monkeyman

Not yet, I figured I would see first on that one if there was anyone that could anwser questions other than just an article that may just be someone who only knows about it from books or what not. Ive done dipped candles from wax as well as formed candles but never did any from tallow, just know Ive heard that it was commonly done it times gone by.

4. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

I cant help ya, But sure would like to know how it turns out for ya.

5. monkeyman

Well, I did a little bit of a search and so far all I found was a foot note in an article that said you rend it then rend it a second time and then it gets more solid and you can make candles from it. I dont know if its as simple as that or not but figure I may try it out. One thing they did say is that they are 'smokey' and that they burn better if you add some beeswax or parifin. Figure it may be something cool to experiment with a bit.

6. jim

jim Monkey+++ Founding Member

You might try pouring them in a tuna can with a wick in the center and useing it more like lamp. That would sovle the sagging and running problem.
    jim

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7