Anyone ever have this happen?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CRC, Feb 15, 2006.

1. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

So...I made an online purchase last night...something I do frequently.

I use a PO Box for everything...even my drivers license has it on it..NOTHING has my real address...Not my credit cards, checks, utility bills, etc....So if they don't ship to PO Boxes, I send it to work.....

I get an email today from this company...saying because I had a different "ship to" address...they want me to fax a COPY, FRONT & BACK of my credit card...AND my Drivers license....AND...are you ready? My Social Security #!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hit the ceiling! I told them I worked in banking before and am very aware of how fraud works...and also , I provided them with a work number..How about just call me back there? Or I would give them any other info...but I was NOT faxing that!

Have y'all ever heard of this before? Anywhere?

Frankly, I was floored.....

I cancelled the order...told them I sent a copy of the email to my financial institution and the City Police, simply because they requested private information! (and I did!)

He got really snippy with me and ended up hanging up on me...

When I found another company that had what I wanted..I placed a phone order...and I told them I had "issues" with another online company that sold the same items and wanted to be safe......

The name out of this guys mouth, was the first company I ordered from! He said they get a lot of business that refuses to do buisness with the first one...

I found this applalling!

Anyone else ever have this kind of experience??

I'm curious now.....

thanks..

2. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Yep, happened to me recently, almost exactly the same thing.

3. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Can't say that has happened to me. I'd do the same, by cancelling my order.

I can't believe they asked you for your SS#...:shock:

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yeah, it happens. More or less recently, a (person) asked me to fax similar info. I told him in no uncertain terms he should go sit on his fax, because I was about to send a rather pointed "thing" thru the wire. He hung up --

5. CRC

That's along the lines of what I told Mr. S___ for Brains... :rolleyes:

I started to say do you think there is anyone dumb enough to fall for that....Silly me...Duh.

How do they get away with that?

6. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

What was the company out of curiosity ?

7. CRC

ck your messages..... :D

8. ColtCarbine

[ditto]

double tap

9. ColtCarbine

[ditto]

10. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

[ditto] Triple Tap!!!

11. ghrit