Anyone get a kick out of these "off grid" t.v. shows?

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Kamchuka, Nov 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Kamchuka

Kamchuka Grease Monkey

I've seen two people on t.v. within a few miles of my place. I'm in the sticks but they portray it in such a manor I find humorous. I'm farther out than both of em and I'm 30 minutes from a Walmart! Once on hard ball anyways.

2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

I don't bother to watch "reality" shows. Because, they are not.

Caveman Jim, 3cyl, Brokor and 2 others like this.
  3. Kamchuka

Kamchuka Grease Monkey

It's an almost embarrassing past time I enjoy. T.v.at night. I think I prefer fake shows about the woods than any other programming lol. But they get a bit cavalier with their embellishments.

4. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Agreed. We wouldn't even consider that off grid where I'm from.

Sgt Nambu, Ura-Ki and Kamchuka like this.
  5. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

I am strictly a gear head and classic car buff regarding TV. The programing of Velocity channel are the only shows I keep up with along with the Barrett Jackson live auto auctions.

6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Besides Prepping ( which we really enjoy) I am also a gear head car/truck/boat/plane guy that consumes much of my "freetime" and I also enjoy Playing Music in a Major way! SO.........Any T.V. ( rarely) is going to be related to one of those!

Caveman Jim and Sgt Nambu like this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Been there, Done that... and Reality TV Shows rarely film anything close to "Reality"... When you spend FOUR Days Filming 35 minutes of Aired Programing, with a Crew of 20 Production People, with the rest of the Hour Show taken up by Commercials... there isn't room for what is real... Do not get me wrong, here... AlaskaChick & I had a really good time doing it, and made a lot of friends... but Reality, wasn't ever part of the deal... Early on, like the first evening, I was talking to one of the "Producers"... (Everyone was a Produce, on the Production Crew) and asked why does it take 2 Hours to film something that takes 15 minutes in real life? His reply was..."But it makes for GOOD Television"... I used that phrase very often over the next three days, when frustration boiled over... " It makes for GOOD Television, RIGHT? [loco]....

Caveman Jim, chelloveck and Kamchuka like this.
  8. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

That's the only reason I watch those, stupid azzed, prepper shows. The new gear! Occasionally a good idea, and they are funny! I wouldn't trust about 95% of those people with a spent match!!!

Ura-Ki, Caveman Jim and Kamchuka like this.
  9. Kamchuka

Kamchuka Grease Monkey

Sorry BT....I suppose the odds are good on this forum someone has been on t.v. there's about 80 shows! I grew up dirt poor living a, whatever word is hip now lifestyle, out of necessity and it cracks me up how it's a thing now. It's funny I'm going back to it as well sooo I'm one to talk. I watched a show yesterday and this dude was literally taking pot shots at a deer....3 shots! Missed em all...my dad a shot me! Good t.v. though right!

Caveman Jim and Thunder5Ranch like this.
  10. Kamchuka

Kamchuka Grease Monkey

SGT Nambu, I agree, I do learn some shit from the shows. We can't know it all! I'm mainly watching the gardening stuff lately. My lady has a solid green thumb but I'm in charge of the build. Ima do a partially ingroung solar green house. Our land has poor soil and we have ruff winters so raised beds are necessary. It's good to see the different layouts. Should be fun. It will be my first dig with my big machine.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  11. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Having seen film and television production (as an honorary acting unpaid unit runner, tea maker) setting up, taking down, location changes etc add to the production time, and film crews will shoot more than is actually used...much of what is shot ends up on the editing suite floor...(or archived for blooper episodes). That's the reality of film/television production.

Kamchuka likes this.
  12. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

If I find myself with the opportunity to do absolutely nothing, I generally use this time to write and read or create. However, on rare occasion, I will indulge in a good, old fashioned television marathon on the internet (since I wouldn't dare pay for TV programming). Most of the time, I find these shows to be very poorly managed, as if they are only intended for an ignorant, potato chip, Budweiser, and Fox News type of audience. My conclusion leads me to deduce there just isn't much "reality" you can find with television.

13. Kamchuka

Kamchuka Grease Monkey

Broker, that's some funny shit!

chelloveck and Brokor like this.
  14. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

What I have learned from watching a few of these shows....... There will be a whole lot of very hungry preppers if/when the SHTF or a few months after the buckets of prepper food run out. As BT points out there is very little real in these reality shows.

15. Kamchuka

Kamchuka Grease Monkey

I can't watch the prepper shows. Too much! Lol. IMHO preparedness is not t.v. worthy. They're either over the top comical or underwhelming comical. To be ready for a storm, or something worse if your into that, to me, is just what ya do. Back up to the back up! Most of these people don't know what it's like to have something taken away so they find some weird reverence in preparation. The rest of us do it because we have a sense of what going without is like. I could be wrong, I usually am when making assumptions concerning the human condition lol.

Ura-Ki, Caveman Jim and Sgt Nambu like this.
  16. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I used to watch Doomsday Prepper and Doomsday Castle. I learned some, got some ideas and ignored the rest. I like to see what these people come up with. I didn't stop my world to watch these shows but if I had time and they were on, I would watch. I will admit that I am a fan of Fat Men in the Woods. I loved that show and liked the skills taught. There is a difference in reality shows. Doomday prepper shows lots of stockpiled foods and stuff where as FMITW gave ideas on fire starting, shelters, water.

Ura-Ki, Caveman Jim and Kamchuka like this.
  17. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

A hell.... time for Sunday football.... better get in my comfy chair, with chips and beer for the rest of the day....and to top it off, Fox News tonight, to keep up with what they want me to know.
    [touchdown][touchdown][touchdown][touchdown][touchdown][touchdown][touchdown][touchdown]:lol:[touchdown][touchdown][touchdown][touchdown][touchdown]

18. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

That is exactly why I do it :) If you have ever been hungry and helpless to change that condition, I can promise if you get through it, you are not going to get in that situation again :)

19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I believe that they serve a purpose. I think the average person who has never thought of prepping or disaster, may benefit. Whatever it takes to turn on the light in a brain, I am all for. Whether it be a book, a TV show or reading about a hurricane on the East coast, if it inspires a few to start putting away a few things for just in case then bravo.

Back to Fat Men in the Woods, that show was on the weather channel and I know that many watched it as a family. On the FMITW facebook page, some of the posts were from kids. It was inspiring kids to get outside and build a fort.

I wonder how many here have ever been to Ready.gov It is a site run by the government to educate people to prepare. September is National Preparedness month. How many knew this. I know that I do not know everything and I have evolved in my thinking since starting to get prepared. Many of my first thoughts have been discarded.

Ura-Ki and Kamchuka like this.
  20. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I like Alaskan Bush People. [afro]

Ura-Ki likes this.
  1. DKR
  2. Motomom34
  3. Motomom34
  4. CATO
  5. Motomom34
  6. wildernessgal
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary