Anyone got one of these?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by monkeyman, Sep 19, 2007.

1. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I just looked on the kel-tec site and saw this and thought that if it is reliable and reasonably accurate it would make a great trunk/backpacking rifle. So anyone know anything about them?

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/su16b.html

2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

yea there is a thread here on the monkey about one of those.

3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

A range buddy awhile back bought the SU-16, and we wrung it out at the range. It's an okay plinker, but POI tends to wander when it gets hot.
    Another buddy has the Sub2000 - horrid little beasty. Definite "thumbs-down"!
    I've shot several K-T handguns - abysmal triggers, and two experienced repeated failures, with one breaking it's extractor! This was a local cop's back-up piece. He traded it for something sles.

To date - I haven't found a Kel-Tec I'd pay money for. Just my personal observations. :mad:

4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Yeah, they are nice to look at. :)

Decent design, they have some great ideas, but the quality can definitely be improved upon. The SU-16 isn't a terrible buy, and it will serve to be an adequate pack rifle for small game or for plinking.

But, generally I have to agree with what Sea said for me, personally.

5. monkeyman

Well, I gues that kind of settles that idea enouph that the other question is of little importance. The other question was going to be if it would accept a .22 conversion kit like the ARs.

With working on the road Im kind of thinking I would like to get a rifle for the truck that would be semi auto, shoot .223 convertable to .22 and be able to fold or break down to go in a pack as a 'bug home' gun but would kind of like to stay cheaper than the $1k or so range I generaly see for ARs as well as not sure how small the ARs break down or how hard/time consumeing they are to break down.

Basicly want something where could carry 100-200 rounds of center fire rifle ammo and at least 500-1000 rounds of .22 so could use the .22 for small game, dogs, etc and have the rifle ammo for larger game. Would be going more on E&E rather than major thoughts of confrontations with 2 legged critters and would be more likely to keep the long arm in the pack when not looking for meat most of the time if likely to encounter people anyway and rely on concealed handgun if defence was needed along with avoiding problems by not looking like a threat. I would like to find one long gun to fill the bill but if needed may try to find a Papoose for sale for the .22 then add something like the AK or an AR for more power.

6. weapons_762

weapons_762 Monkey+++

i was thinking the same thing , about the same rifle, and i friend told me not to , for the money they cost get a side-folder ak , or something like that

7. monkeyman

Got one, just looking at what could do to have light ammo. May take it along as well as a takedown .22 but want a way to be able to have a good supply of meat rounds that could be carried if needed and figure .22 would be the one for the majority of meat. I figure the sidearm would be more likely for defense than the long arm anyhow.

8. troubleticket

troubleticket Monkey+++

The bolt/recoil/gas system is straight AK. Fairly accurate. Horrible trigger.
    very light and compact. Probably compatible with AR .22lr conv kits with
    some work. Jury is still out, but no major complaints.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7