Anyone here worked for Haliburton/KBR?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Clay, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Clay

Clay Monkey+++ Founding Member

I was thinking about taking a job with them, but I figured I would ask around a bit and see if any one has positive or negative words.

Thanks

2. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

They get paid a lot to take care of the soldiers overseas. They ran the entire Bondsteel base in Kosovo. From the Soldier point of view, it sucks that they get paid 10 times as much to do some of the same jobs, but guess that is free enterprise at it's best.

3. Clay

This job would be in Afghanistan.

4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

If I am not mistaken, Dick Cheney and other neocons (satan's army) have their hands in Haliburton and the likes....so, you would be working for the enemy in a manner of speaking.

Of course, you could always become a spy for the Monkey Forums. ;)

5. Clay

You were never in the military?

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Downsizing the military and going to all volunteer forces was a big mistake. The need for services was not proportionally diminished, thus the need for contractors to do the support rather than retaining cooks and quartermasters. So we get to pay the fighting forces more (which they deserve) and pay a lot more for the services. Ain't capitalism grand?

I'm less critical of Halliburton/KBR than most. For one thing, they are large enough that they can mobilize and respond a hell of a lot faster then letting new contracts. We are paying for speed of response as well as the manpower and materials that they can move. The criticism belongs at the creation of the need for that abililty, meaning that doing away with the draft reduced the military's ability to respond without outside assistance. There are few (if any) other outfits large enough to respond the way H/KBR can. There are a sock full of other indefinate delivery, indefinate quantity contracts that have been let "no bid" that are far more wasteful than the ones H/KBR has.

7. sniper-66

Here here Ghrit, give yourself another helping of KBR christmas turkey! You hit the nail on the head!!! Don't blame KBR for filling the void that Clinton left!!!

8. ghrit

When I served, H/KBR was three different companies, and they were construction and oil field outfits. Our cooks were military, and they were (usually) pretty good. No KBR turkey for me, but I've eaten contractor meals on occasion. Not nearly as tasty. (But Navy cooks were (usually) pretty good. Some time I'll relate a notable disaster from the galley while we were on patrol.)

No, I do NOT own stock in any of those outfits. Wish I did, I could have stayed retired.

9. Clay

Its some seriously good money that I am having a really hard time not thinking about. It would suck to be gone for so long, but then again maybe not.

Going away to work like this is something that could be very interesting, and I need that in my life right now.

10. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

-or- you could always buy a SEGA!

You have to yell the word when you say it: SEGA!

11. ghrit

Bud, I don't know where you are in life, but if you ever get the chance to actually work (vs. touring or visiting) someplace besides CONUS do NOT fail to take it. At the end of it all, you'll appreciate what we have here, as well as what is on the other side of the fence. The grass is NOT always greener. An old E-9 Chief told me once, "Take the broad with you or forget her, but GO."

12. Clay

This would be my first time ever out of the country. More than anything I really do want to see what else is going on in the world, and also I would like to go to where these people are that hate us so much and see what they are really like. There is so much going on in the world today, and part of me is just totally curious about why. I don't know what will happen, but either way I'm sure it will be interesting.

13. sniper-66

Dude! Do it! If you don't have any real ties to keep you here, travel. It will really open your eyes as Ghrit says. Everyone really talks about other countries and how exciting they are. I have found that there is no place on this earth that even comes close to the good old U.S. of A.
    I wouldn't ever trade any of my travels to the chit holes I have been to for anything, except for maybe Germany, there isn't any that I would ever really want to go back to. And under no circumstances would I ever want to live in any other country permanantly. I can tell you this, It makes me appreciate the little things in life that I have.
    Now it will be interesting in what kind of philosophy I have after come back from Iraq!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7