Anyone use 5.11 tactical pants?

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Astrodokk, Mar 13, 2011.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Wouldn't bother me at all. I simply wouldn't do it. That is easily pants for two years of hard use, and I would always be worried about damaging them.

2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Nah, quality wool clothing can last a lifetime, especially if one has the knowledge of making repairs. What I linked is made in USA, but it is costly.

kellory and melbo like this.
  3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Those Filson's are nice! - big wool fan here.

My clothing needs fall into in a few different categories and 5.11 tactical pants don't really fit any of them.

Casual (and carrying):
    If I'm going to be in town, at an event, playing in the park on the weekend with family, I don't really want to look like an off duty cop in 5.11s and a blue windbreaker. I'll wear Levi's jeans or MK Khakis, a t-shirt, polo or fleece sweatshirt (depending on weather) Vibram Five Fingers or barefoot and conceal in my NeatFreak or IWB holster. I've also been known to drop a Ruger LCP in my pocket.

Work (and carrying):
    Same as casual unless we're in the field working around High Voltage where FR clothing and/or arc blast gear is required. Carry same as Casual.

Tactical and armed to the teeth (not worn often since I'm not an Operator...) [patr]
    Multicam G3 Combat pants by Crye, cross draw holster on vest or web gear (chest rigs, drop leg holster, 6 AR mags, blow out kits, bump cap with NV, etc) I wouldn't wear 5.11s here either as this is battle gear and my pants are tough, gusseted, include integrated knee pads and are made of Crye multicam fabric) This is my Gear of Last Resort, packed away and ready to go should a Red Dawn scenario occur or we experience a prolonged grid down situation and I need to patrol or move from a to b through hostile zones.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with 5.11s or Blackhawk tactical pants with PALS on the butt... It's just not clothing that fits any needs of mine.
    This is hilarious: My pants are more tactical than yours. - WeTheArmed.com

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    Brokor, Silversnake and Yard Dart like this.
  4. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

biglaff

5. kellory

I know them. They make some of the best upland hunting clothing you can get, but very costly. For field hunting, I use wrangler briar proof pants. They are deneer faced, and camo, and maybe $35 a pair. I have never worn out a pair yet.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  6. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Yard Dart likes this.
  7. kellory

There are only two types of people in the world. Those chuck Norris likes, and those he let's live....;)

8. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

9. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

We use them at the Sheriff's Dept for a class B-uniform very tough and looks good, it has cut our uniform purchases in half lasts twice as long. I wear them all the time even off duty plus they are backed by Gunny SGT Emery (lol). All jokes aside great product and can be used in everyday life without drawing attention to yourself like regular BDU's

BTPost and melbo like this.
  10. Ian Daniels

Ian Daniels Monkey

I'll admit it, I love em. Ive got a pair I melted slightly on a hot rock that became my go to outdoors pant. Been through hell and back with backpack trips, hunting, kayaking, camping, climbing, wood cutting... probably about 5 years old at least by now and Im still on that same pair.

11. JABECmfg

JABECmfg multi-useless

This looks like the best place to ask, so...

I don't wear anything "tactical", especially tactical pants, as nothing I do requires it. Blue jeans for me, both work and casual. But, I've been getting more into hiking and camping lately, and generally spending more time outdoors, so a good pair of pants or 2 seems in order. Anyway, the question -

Is anyone wearing 5.11 pants made of 65/35 polyester/cotton with the teflon treatment? If so, how water-repellent are they, and do they air dry quickly and easily? The further I travel from the comforts of civilization on my hiking and camping trips, the more important it is to stay dry in the first place, and dry quickly if necessary. Fall is here and the weather is changing, and rain and temperature drops are a reality. I've been trying to avoid cotton in my search for adequate gear, because as they say, "cotton kills" in cold wet conditions - but if the polyester/cotton and teflon pants are sufficient in that regard, then I figure they're worth a shot.

Thanks in advance for any input!

12. kellory

I would suggest, you not try to do everything with one item, but consider layers. A surplus army wool pant and a poncho or rain pants for wet weather, is hard to beat. Wool retains heat even when wet, and wicks dry much faster than just about anything else. The price is right, they are light weight, and unless you have an allergy, quite comfortable.

ColtCarbine and JABECmfg like this.
  13. JABECmfg

JABECmfg multi-useless

I'm a skinny monkey, so layers have always been my friend in cold weather - even when disguising myself as a normal individual by hanging out in the civilized world. ;) I used layers quite a bit on my last camping trip, where temps were around 80 by day but in the 40's at night. But, as I was camping out of a truck on that one, I had quite a few creature comforts.

Either way, I'm seeing a lot of good reviews for 5.11. Looks like they'd make for a good rugged single layer in moderate temps, or outer layer in colder temps. I have some nice lightweight but warm base layers that roll up nice and small, so a good rugged outer layer should serve me well. Hopefully in something that isn't too over-the-top tacticool or official looking.

I do like wool socks and gloves, and I think wool pants might be more than what I need, but I might look into a pair anyway. If the polyester/cotton blend with teflon will do the trick though, then it might make for a very versatile pair of outdoors pants.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  14. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

I'll be adding these to my wardrobe instead of jeans next shopping trip.

15. EtDub

EtDub Monkey

I wear them at work. Found them at a store called Gabriel brothers. 11$ a pair marked irregular. Tough as nails and the thicker waist band is awesome.

Falcon15 and JABECmfg like this.
  16. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

I get mine from LA Police Gear. I buy factory seconds, at a discount. VERY high quality pant. I love the built in mag pouches in the cargo pockets.

JABECmfg likes this.
  17. I love them. I wear them everyday at work and we wear them on my Tactical team as a part of our uniform.

BTPost likes this.
  18. irishbruin88

irishbruin88 Monkey

I have several pair of the 5.11 pants. A few things I prefer with Propper pants. No belt loops in the center of hip for when wearing a holster or knife. Also the wallet pocket inside back pocket. Small things but I think make Propper better.

19. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

No sir, never owned any. I would probably destroy them pretty quick.

I'm a double front Dungaree Carhartt guy, as that is what I've found to withstand the punishment I put pants through.

And most of the gals like the construction worker look.

kellory likes this.
  20. kellory

Got a link for those @ColtCarbine ? I too distroy pants rather quickly.

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. DKR
  3. natshare
  4. RouteClearance
  5. Bishop
  6. chelloveck
  7. Brokor
  8. Brokor
  9. Brokor
  10. HK_User
  11. stimpy117
  12. monkeyman