Apollo ~ The Wonder Dog does his job!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RightHand, Feb 3, 2009.

1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Today turned out to be test day. I had a furnace repairman here. He went to his truck to get some parts and when he tried to come back into the house, Apollo wouldn't let him in. The pup went into an attack squat, chest out and deep barks. Now I know b::

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Cool deal all around. He didn't forget.

3. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

The other good thing is that if the repairman is inclined to mention my house to anyone, the story will include the dog.

4. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Lucky you!

Getting a dog (puppy) is on my list for this month, not sure what breed I want yet, mid to large size preferred.

One reason I need a dog is this. Had a plumber out at the house on Sunday (yes super bowl sunday) to clear a clogged sewer line. During the conversation the wife pops and says that we work for the local gun range. Great, me thinks, now this complete stranger knows we have guns. Then she tells the daughter that if she doesn't behave we wont be going over to friends house for the SB party. Great says I, now this complete stranger knows we have guns and knows we'll be out of the house tonight.
    Needless to say, I had a word with the wife about it after the repair man left with my $250.00 bucks.

5. RightHand

Apollo is a 3 yr old Doberman - I've always had Dobies and they can be great protectors of life and property. Since I've had him, I've never had an occasion to have a repairman in the house before so this was a real test. He wouldn't let the guy near me. I kept Apollo on leash and explained to the guy that he is a protection animal. From a distance and with Apollo on leash, the repair guy started speaking nicely to the pup - no change in Apollo's body language. Tense, taut muscles, ears straight up, ready to leap into action. I was very impressed. The sign on my door says "For your safety, do not approach the dog" and now I know it is true.

6. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I recently acquired (if that's the right word!) a 2 year old Queensland Heeler?
    Still in the puppy stages, but starting to pay attention to basic commands...
    So far, he's a loon!
    May take a few more months to get him up to par, strange thing is his DOB is 9/11/06.
    Weird.
    Bill

7. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

RH

I hope you gave Apollo lots of praising when the repairman left. [beer] Our St. Benards don't like people and when they bark everyone knows it. :D We have about 3 acres fenced around the house to keep the chickens close by. The dogs run that area as well but when people are coming over we put them in their small pen. Everyone really looks at them and askes if they are going to stay in the pin. [lolol] A friend of ours that I work with always tells people at work you don't want to go to my house because we grizzly bear dogs. [rofllmao] I was talking to a person at work about gardening one day and they made the commite about coming to my house if they needed food. I said come on over becasue my dogs need to eat as well. [stirpot]

OGM

8. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

That's great RH! It's a wonderfully secure feeling, knowing that your protector is willing to do his/her job when the time comes.

9. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Glad to hear that. Maggie cornered my rabbit-cage carpenters last week and I had to call her down. One of them had a Skill saw and she apparently thought he was a threat to me; lol...They were pretty cautious through the rest of the day and refused to return for a second helping so I finished the cage myself. It amuses me every time one of them tells about nearly getting eaten by my watch-dog; I just mention that the dog is a pretty good judge of character and that shuts them right up. As sweet as Dobies are, they sure look serious when they get switched on.[ROFL]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7