Apology To The Ladies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TailorMadeHell, Aug 22, 2006.

1. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

Community is good coffee, just leave off the chicory. Since the Woah of Nawthurn Oppression is over, we don't hafta drink chickory no more.

2. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I will only drink what tastes good to my palate which isn't necessarily anyone else's taste. My favorite coffee is Sumatran, brewed strong, black, no sugar.

I don't have a lot of vices so I indulge my taste in coffee even if it is expensive.

I'm a lot like the old Salvation Army lady on the corner, pounding the her drum and asking for donations. She proudly proclaimed that before she joined the Salvation Army, she used to smoke; before she joined the Salvation Army she used to drink; and before she joined the Salvation Army, she used to run around with men. Now, she says, I don't drink, I don't smoke, and I don't run around like a floosie. In fact, I don't do anything but stand on this corner and beat this damn drum!

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

hehehe. When I was in a school in the Navy, one of the guys was getting cans of Lusianne (half coffee, half chickory) from home in Mississippi. Was panther pee then, is panther pee now. This from a dyed in the wool, stand a spoon in the mud coffee hound. :cool:

Waugh!!! That was BAD stuff, and I don't mean that in a good way, either. :D

4. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I forgot ALL about that coffee! I remember it being in my "other" grandmothers house sometimes....(the one I hardly knew)

My grandmother, she drank 8:00...and the grocery store we went to always had that one aisle that smelled so wonderful....where they ground the beans....Red & White grocery store.....God I loved that store and the way it smelled!

Thanks for the memories y'all......

5. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I Think 8 o'clock coffee was the A&P Supermarket brand and the instore grinding machine was a cross between innovation and links to the country stores of the past before buying ground coffee was the norm. We still had an A&P around here until the 1980's IIRC

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

A&P had several house brands, can't remember all of them. Mom standardized on 8:00 as the home juice for herself and Pop. I didn't start on coffee until way later after HS. A few years ago, I found 8;00 in a Shaw's up north and gave it a try. Liked it well enough, and that's what's in the pot now. Folgers is marginal, and Maxwell house is awful to my tastes, even tho' lots of people seem to like it.

I think I'll be picking up a grinder one of these days to avoid standing in the aisle at the grocery letting the wild kids and blithering idiots run into me with carts while I'm waiting out the store grinder.:mad:

7. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

My little sidetrip is over for now so I'm back.

When I had to go in search of coffee the other day I grabbed some from Walgreens and made a pot. It is pretty good if I make it strong enough, six heapers to the filter.

From all the talk about what kind of stuff in the coffee I decided to take a look to see if I could find if it had chicory or whatever in it. The name on the can is Chase & Sanborn. Couldn't find any mention of ingredients other than it is a 'smooth balanced everyday blend'. The real surprise came when I saw the company that owned C&S. None other than Sara Lee. :D

Guess it might go well with Sara Lee Coffee Cake. :rolleyes:

Yes, it may have been the caffeine or the fact I had to post and run or the fact that I wanted to tell the stories before I forgot them, either way I had to post both. Haha.

Once upon a time, I remember being pushed across the parking lot in a grocery buggy leaving the A&P. Remember one day I was in there and someone had made a mess in the coffee aisle. Looked like Coffee War III, ground coffee everywhere. Either that or someone tried feeding the grinder some bad beans and it had to hurl. Haha.

Community with no chicory is good, though I am not such a worldly person that I could even figure out what chicory tasted like. :D

Have fun all and above all else remember this rule. Great coffee doesn't have to come with a huge pricetag.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7