Appleseed Project

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Equilibrium, Jan 19, 2011.

1. fireplaceguy

fireplaceguy Monkey+

I'm curious why you live in a place like that.

To answer your questions, the Rugers 10/22, new or used, is worth around $200.

As to scopes, if your eyes are good then you won't need one. My dominant eye is pretty bad, to the point where my accuracy suffers a bit, so I prefer a scope. Scopes do fail, so you should be familiar with both.

Also, this whole recoil thing is vastly overblown. In fact, the main reason to shoot a .22LR in training is cost, not recoil. Once you've been through an Appleseed, you'll have no problems transitioning to the .223 cartridge, so there's no reason to put a .22LR conversion in an AR.

Besides the instruction I've done professionally, I've taught several girlfriends to shoot over the years, with 100% success. For handguns, I start them with a .45 ACP, and I have them shooting well and enjoying themselves before the end of the first session. (And, every 1911 I own is a lightweight aluminum frame gun.) Every girlfriend has developed a flinch (in anticipation of recoil) which I then show by handing them a gun with an empty chamber that they think is loaded. When they pull the trigger, they see it instantly. With that knowledge and a bit of coaching, it takes no more than five minutes to learn the mental and motor control to shoot a major caliber handgun well.

With rifles, I generally start them with a .22LR (purely for cost) but I have always had them shoot a few rounds of .308 in that first session as well, just to show them it's no big deal.

You'll do great. Women are almost always better students, plus you want to learn. Plus, Appleseed instructors are WAY above average as rifle instruction goes.

2. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

We didn't realize we'd bought land in a no-discharge county 25 years ago. We built 10 years ago and never thought to check if anything had changed. Who thinks of things like that when buying land or a home>>>? Once.... shame on you. Twice shame on us. We will be researching the firearms laws before we buy property next time.
    I asked my brother for used rugers without scopes. It's bad enough used rugers cost around $200 and..... he's "gifting" them to us. We can always add a scope at our expense later.
    I'm not putting a conversion on anything. That was a weapon he offered to me when we thought Appleseed required military weapons. I got the feeling he was fond of it for some reason... more like a collectible or a favorite toy or something based on the way he spoke about it. It must be a guy thing.
    Appleseed enjoys a very good professional reputation. I've done some checking around on my own and I can't find anyone who has one negative thing to say about the organization so.... we're going for sure only now.... another one of my nephews is going with.... my brother laughed and said he better dig up another ruger. That's four of us and I think we could end up with six. My son told his best friend we were going. His best friend's dad called me and wanted to know what else besides a ruger bolt action single shot 22 he needed to send with his kid (I think I jotted down which ruger he said they had right) and I'm pretty sure I convinced a personal friend of mine she should join us. She's in her 50's like me and her husband has some sort of a ruger 22 she could use. Ruger 22's must be very popular.... it seems life everybody's got one.

3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

For qualification at an Appleseed shoot, no single shot bolt action 22 of any brand is going to get the job done. Some how some way you have got confused on this. The Ruger 22 rifle that most every .22lr rimfire shooter uses at the Appleseed shoots is the Ruger 10-22 model semi-auto (not bolt action). see the links below of examples.
    RUGER 10/22 Rifle 22lr birch hardwood stock NIB : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com
    Ruger 10/22 #1140 Stainless synthetic 22LR New : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Yep, and I just got my Davidsons Weekly update and my wholesale price is about $40US below that... , so it is for real....

5. fireplaceguy

fireplaceguy Monkey+

Equilibrium - I'm happy to see you're getting a group together. Appleseed is great, and you will be happy you did this. The makeup of the classes has changed a lot in the last year, and they are typically full of new shooters these days. You'll find many of your fellow students and most of the instructors to be of like mind. If camping is available, plan to camp out for the weekend. The talks around the campfire are not to be missed if at all possible.

Sorry about where you live. What a pain. I thought Colorado was bad (it is, and it's getting worse!) but at least I can step out my front door and shoot. I have a 25 yard pistol range and a 200 yard rifle range set up in the ravine below my house, and a 500 yard target stand on the neighbor's land that I can use whenever the cows are out of sight.

6. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

tac> That's what kind of ruger Frank said he had.... I just typed what I jotted down that he said he could send with his son. I'll let him know that ruger won't work.... I guess I better find out what ruger my girlfriend's husband has then call my brother tomorrow and tell him to look for more rugers. My poor brother.
    fireplaceguy> I'm not exactly rounding up a group.... it's just happening.
    I'm sorry about where I live too.... believe me.... Illinois sucks. They jacked up our property taxes another coupla thousand a year and last week our new Governor raised state income taxes so that's another coupla thousand a year out the door for everybody still working.

7. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

The thing is, much of the shooting will be timed fire of up to 10 rounds. Detachable magazines are highly advised. Accuracy and all that goes with that is stressed first, before they pick up the pace considerably. at least 2 or 3 magazines for each rifle is recommended.

8. griffin1340

griffin1340 Monkey+++

As far as Appleseed is concerned. A 10-22 will be a great choice, have 2-4 spare 10 rd mags along as well. Save the headache and stay away from the 'banana clips' for the 10-22![nono]
    Any good, dependable and accurate rifle will do you. The course is set up [originally] for the M1 Garand, so a semi auto is better. But I have seen bolt actions do REAL well!;) Extra mags are a big thing..bring lots extra, they [mags] will get dirty/lost/ jammed at the worst possible time.
    400 rds of ammo will most likely get you through the weekend...550 will be better! The cost of ammo being a big thing to most shooters. Shooting 500 rds of 30-06 is expensive and really unnecessary for what you will be doing. So shoot the .22 stuff. OR use the .22 for the training part and then switch to your MZB gun later in the day.
    Use and shoot ONE brand of ammo! Use the same ammo you sight in the rifle for! It is amazing to see the difference between lot types or brands or ammo! You will be able to see what I mean if you change mid day.
    Scopes are fine, as the training is for how to shoot, and how to shoot in the positions as trained is a lot harder than you think. Peep sights are best for most of the shooting IMHO.
    A sling is absolutely necessary for the shooting! Get a 1 inch or 1 1/4 inch military sling [like the cotton/nylon M1/M1A or a good leather military sling], not the junk hunting/carry slings from Wal Mart. Also quick detachable sling mounts are a great time saver for the range...
    To anyone going...this is a learning experience, not a competition! Leave the sniper rifle/varmint gun in the safe. Use a rack grade rifle that shoots well. The course is challenging but fun. And really does not require match grade shooting skills or equipment.
    You will see former Marine/Army 'expert' shooters shooting poorly and a 12 year old kid or a tween girl out-shooting everyone on the firing line with a beat up Remington .22! Its all about attitude and whether you desire to learn how to improve your skills.
    Just an FYI..the shoots are held 'rain or shine/hot or cold' be prepared for a LONG day on the range if the weather gets bad. Bring a good shooting mat [carpet remnant works great] ear & eye protection [extras] and a lunch & snacks.

Enjoy![winkthumb]

By the way..It took me two Appleseed's to score over 210 points. And I thought I was pretty good up until then![loco]

9. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Yup, what Griffin said X2! And if you have a scope, use it on lowest setting if it's adjustable. I found that out from going to my 1st Appleseed about 2 months ago. Also, ditto on the sling!

I didn't get my patch. There was only 1 awarded, to a guy who was on his 3rd shoot, with mucho practice in between. But the shoot sure is full of good info and it WILL turn you into a good/better shooter!

Kajun

10. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

After I find a good source for slings to buy, "Get a 1 inch or 1 1/4 inch military sling [like the cotton/nylon M1/M1A or a good leather military sling]", we'll be set gentlemen. Thank you ever so kindly for all your invaluable help.... I totally appreciated it.
    --
    griffin1340> We're not going to the location in IL. I found an Appleseed over the border in WI that's 50 miles closer. I see you're from WI so if you want to join us, I'd love it.

11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Don't bother with buying slings if the rifles don't already have sling swivels on the forends. There is some jury rigging that can be done, but isn't worth the effort and will be non-standard. You don't need a sling to qualify, but it's an excellent aid to marksmanship. Griff is right on all counts otherwise, except the round expenditure. (He is LOW there, and that is per shooter; multiply by the mob count. You are up to 5 shooters now?)

Dunno what your brother is going to come up with, but if he can get loaners for you, he can supply slings as well. It's an odds on bet the 10/22s will not have swivels, quick detach or otherwise. I have QD on one of my ARs, but not the other (fixed) and I'll tell you, the QD is a real advantage.

12. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

We're up to 4 now.... we'll probably end up with 5 if my girlfriend goes and that depends on her rotation and if she's paged that morning. My brother is sending enough bullets for me and his two nephews so I'm not paying anything. I don't even know how much bullets cost for rugers or that rifle my son's going to use. He says the rounds for all of us are a good "investment" since we'll get a lot out of the experience. The others going will have to buy their own bullets and I told them how many rounds were suggested. I honestly don't know what a swivel or a QD is. My brother is going to let me and our nephew keep the rugers he's sending with us which is really nice. Me.... I'm just happy that Appleseed will take us and teach us.

13. ghrit

The swivel is what attaches the sling to the rifle. QD is "quick detach."

14. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Ah.... thank you. I don't understand half the crap kids text to each other and sometimes you guys are throwing me for a loop here using acronyms with which I have no familiarity. I know it's me.... not you.

15. ghrit

You want one thing that shows up nowhere else I've seen: Long sleeve shirts and high collars. The amount of sunshine is immaterial, hot brass is. It comes from the guy on your left and can find its way to tender spots and throw off your aim. (Yes, I know this.)

16. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

We go camping rain or shine and they go when it's like 0 outside and snowing so that's not a problem.... well maybe for my nephew whose into "primping". I pretty much always wear light weight long sleeved shirts when I'm outside because I don't like skeeter spray so I would've been ok but thanks for mentioning it. I'll run it by the kids but it's ultimately up to them whether or not they're willing to get peppered to wear "stylin" clothes or not.

17. ghrit

hehehe. A headstamp burned into his neck doesn't look quite the same as a hickey, and might carry a badge of a different color among his crew.

ETA: a headstamp is the marking on the bottom of a cartridge that identifies the maker and caliber.

18. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

and you'all thought that cowboys wore those neckerchiefs for their color...

19. griffin1340

griffin1340 Monkey+++

You can get the slings at a number of online shops. Or just go to 'Cheaper Than Dirt' ,granted a lot of their prices are far from 'dirt cheap'! Uncle Mikes makes a good QD sling swivel and with about 5 min you can have a sling on your rifle.
    The last few Appleseeds I've been to there have been 'loaner' slings on the firing line. As an instructor I usually have a few to loan out. I gave up the Instructor hat....just an FYI. I still support the program but I have some other concerns.

20. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Ohhh.... thank you for that visual of a headstamp marker in a neck. I know my son will be sold on foregoing the Aeropostle (sp?) short sleeved shirts with no collars once I share that with him but my nephew and his best friend.... questionable. We'll see.
    Neckerchiefs.... I had no clue. I thought they used them to cover up their mouths so they weren't eating as much dust.... get up to full gallop in a group and without one you'll for sure be eating dust unless you're up front. I assumed they were multi-taskers because we can keep sweat from dripping in our eyes when working outside too. I totally had no idea neckerchiefs were to stop from getting stamped like USDA beef. Cool beans.
    griffin> do me a favor will you please.... just pick a brand, Cheaper Than Dirt - America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter. I'm going brain dead right about now and my search for slings pulled up archery "stuff". My nephew weighs almost 100 I'm guessing. My son's around 120 and so am I but he's taller than me by 2" if that matters. His best friend's around 130 but taller and string beany and my girlfriend's somewhere around 130 and about the same height as my son. None of us will be able to use anything other than maybe a men's small I'm thinking or a youth large or XL for my nephew.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7