AR-15 Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by magnus392, Sep 16, 2005.

Tags:
  1. RevBushmaster

RevBushmaster When in doubt use more C4

Re: AR Pic Thread:)

I think I would put a wrist strap on it. The image looks like its been photo-shopped (no offense meant, I photo shopp most of my photos for various reasons! )

I enjoyed the 70's basic training mantra, it brings back nostalgic riffs of the fragrance of guncotton smoke hanging ever last at knee level in the 5AM, cold morning air. And its the pleasant sounds of muted *pop* pop* pop* from well aimed and well placed shot groups from the then new general issue M16A-1s, and the delicate ~tink~ of hot brass hitting the gravel deck.

Its the defeating sound and smell of a car sized Army diesel generator mounted on the vibrating bed of a stately Olive Drab duce and half, the white star on the door making me feel profoundly if a bit oddly patriotic.

A icey cold morning in Janurary 1972 …rustling sounds of web gear clicking and sliding, of boots in hushed lock step, while cadence is barked out…."Ain't no use in goin' home / Jody's got your girl and gone / sound off...." Yeah, good memories those …damn good....

: }>

2. thepatriot1976

thepatriot1976 Resigned Membership

Thank you Rev. for the kind words about my family.

About the iron sights the Army training manual refers to the rear sight as the Long and short range aperture('s), but us grunt's always just called it big and little peep (peep sights).

[chopper]

3. RevBushmaster

RevBushmaster When in doubt use more C4

Cool back in the 70's the big one was for hangovers and the tiny one was for when your eyes could actually focus... ; }>

4. martin97

martin97 Fuel busted Trucker. Founding Member

Re: AR Pic Thread:) ATTN; Quig

Here's the first draft of my... "DON'T TOUCH MY MF'ING WOODPILE!" gun Quig.. more improvements and changes as parts arrive.
    Currently....
    LAR A2 Upper.
    Del-Ton Lower.
    CMMG basic lower parts set.
    CMMG 5 pos buttstock.
    Wilson 11.5 bbl.
    M-16 BCG.
    YHM 2 piece handguards.. very cool and attach solid as a rock.
    building a tool here.. not some dressed up metro sexual safe sissy.
    100_1666.

5. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Looks great, range report?[chopper]

6. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Oh the AR's Melbo I feel your pain now...LMFAO
    IMG_1812.

7. martin97

Shot a few round through it for a test and all went well. its a bit tighter than some higher dollar guns I've built from the BIG name parts so I had a few FTE's, but I'm sure that will all be worked out with a few rounds down the pipe... might have been that bunk ammo I told you about that gummed it up.. the U.S. made stuff went through it like gas through a funnel.. can't trust those down there to do anything right.....
    If I can get a target up tomorrow I'll get a group test done for you.

8. martin97

Yep, it was weak ammo that was gumming things up.. USA made ammo and my custom handloads all work great.

9. toemag

toemag Monkey++

Here is one of my AR's,

Hope that I get this right, here go's.

[​IMG]

Tony

10. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I am going Axis hunting this coming week. I am thinking about taking one with one of my ARs. If I do, I will post some pics. Although they are smaller rounds than I like, I have killed quite a few deer with .222's and one or two with a .223. I will let you know how I fare.

11. toemag

toemag Monkey++

I have taken a lot of Roe deer with .222, but have got to the point where I take the .308win as you can never have enough power, have fun.

Tony

12. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

These are some of my favorite AR-15s:
    IM000658 (Medium).JPG IM000605 (Medium).JPG

13. jimy

jimy Monkey++

Two Stag Arms 16" w/ 1/7 rifling and feed ramps.

[​IMG]

14. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Some personal preferences I have come up with. I have and have had, numerous AR's of nearly every brand and configuration.
    I don't care for the Quad rail fore ends. Hard on the hands and liable to give away your position if rubbed across a hard surface. The rubber rail covers make them too large to hold comfortably.

I love the VLTOR stocks. I don't use battery powered equipment but the rounded battery storage compartment on them makes for a super comfortable cheek weld. And they are good for storage of small survival items.

I prefer and highly recommend the Hoque rubber pistol grips. Great control and grip in wet conditions. I have them on all of my guns.

I don't like the forward pistol grips. Just seems to be ackward to me. I am an old time rifleman, guess I prefer old school.

I prefer a 1-9 rifling. The 1-7 is fine for target or varmint shooting but it limits the range of ammo you can shoot. I prefer 62 gr or above but want the option to shoot 55gr if that's all that is available. The 1-7 rifling is too fast for 55gr. It will shoot it, but the bullet disentagrates on impact and penetration is greatly reduced. Read the cops vs bank robbers shootout report in "Unintended Consequences" or even the ATF waco raid. There are several LEO's alive today because someone was shooting 55gr bullets in a 1-7 rifled barrel.

Gunbunny, how do you like that skeleton stock on the bottom rifle? I have not had the chance to try one of those yet but have been looking at them.

These are just my personal likes and dislikes. Not meant to be a blanket statement for everyone.

Stumper likes this.
  15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

FWIW, I have a skeleton (extensible) stock on one of mine, exactly like the one shown. The berries is the best I can come up with. For one thing, it'll fit in a short case. When extended it is as rigid as a fixed butt, no rattles.

That helical forend on one of the pix looks good.

16. E.L.

I like the quad rails for my CQB rifles. Clearing a room with one hand on the vertical grip, and my left thumb on the Surefire flashlight button, I find it easy to control while shooting rapidly, and very stable when walking and shooting. I do not however like it for hunting, or casual shooting at the range. Doing drills with the vertical grip/quad rails/flashlight I have become very comfortable with the set up.

They are highly thought of, and I may end up putting one on an AR of mine

Amen brother! I have one on one of my AR's and I love it, the only other after market pistol grip I have is a Magpul pistol grip with the battery compartment, I like it, but would rather have the Hogue on there. I love the Hogue.

I like it on my CQB guns, but only on them.

Ditto.

Gunbunny, what suppressor do you have on that .22 AR upper?

I would like to add that if anyone uses optics, red dots or otherwise, a BUIS is a very important option to not overlook. Week before last when I was hunting on the ranch, after two days on a fourwheeler my scope rattled loose and actually fell off of my AR, and on to the foot step of my fourwheeler. I looked down and there it was. So I just held on to it and didn't bother reattaching it. Well, ten minutes later I ran into about 15 wild hogs. Of course I didn't have a BUIS on this rifle (although I do have one on my CQB set up) so the hogs all lived to see another day. I put the front site on the bunch and did get off a couple of shot, but just managed to scare them. Killing hogs on this ranch is a prioroty. They have decimated the lamb and goat crop, torn up fences, feeders, and make a big mess out of the waterholes. Thankfully they don't bother the calves. I would have loved to have taken out a few, and next time I promise I will be better prepared. If it would have been MZB's instead of hogs, I would have been in deep doo doo.

Live and learn.

17. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

Thanks guys! I play with adding and taking parts off of these rifles almost daily until I get the setup that feels and works the best for me.

The AR in the upper picture is a DPMS lower reciever coupled to an A3 upper I got from Sherluk Marketing. The barrel is a 16" heavy barrel from brownells, and the forearm is a Yankee Hills Machine Sphecter length quad rail. I modified the front sight base to fit under the quad rail. The scope is a Leupold variable 2-7 power scope, with a LaserMax flat laser under it. The quad rail allows me to mount the Leupod at the right position for my desired eye relief. The laser projects through the scope ring's see through hollow bases. The thing hanging on the right side of the quad rail is my back up iron sight from DPMS. The Glock light haning off the front can be removed with one hand and put on a Glock in seconds. It is so light that I don't bother to take it off unless I need it for something else. The stock is a Vltor clubfoot Modstock, older style. As Minuteman said, the compartments are great. The grip and magazine come from MagPul, and I would recomend them to anyone with an AR. It is hard to describe, but once you grab the MIAD grip, it just feels right. It feels solid, and has enough grip on it to keep you hand from slipping. The Stoney-Point single point sling is very nice, as it keeps the rifle with the grip just off my hip, muzzle down, when I wear it. The other nice point is that you can use one loop and have several adaptors for other rifles.

The lower AR is a Rock River Arms lower and another A3 upper. The barrel is a 1:14 twist .22lr from Model 1 Sales, and the rifle-length vented free float tube is from Sherluk Marketing. It looks nice, but I wouldn't want to shoot a full-power AR with it, it kind of bends a little, under pressure if you know what I mean. Since this rifle is dedicated 22lr, it isn't a problem. The scout rail on top the upper is from GG&G, with a Tasco Pro-point red dot, pre J-point days. With the Tactical Solutions TAC-65 on the end of the barrel, it is a very fun and QUIET little rifle. The stock is an ACE ltd ARFX-E tubeular stock, which is a couple of inches shorter than their ARFX stock. It is rock solid. I have the shorter stock because the barrel is 16", and the full length stock would seem just a little long for the overall length of this little rifle (until you attach the suppressor!). I'm hoping to add ACE's side folding mechanism to this rifle when the funds come available. The bolt group is a Ciener .22 conversion kit that Model 1 Sales had to modify so it would work with their barrel. All in all it is a fun rifle, put together with love and attention, for the purpose of training my daughter when she gets old enough.

18. E.L.

Very nice well thought out set up, I know you love that Tac-65. I was very impressed with the one that I shot.

19. martin97

More upgrades Quig...
    KNS Pins, a must have item.
    Magpul grip and enhanced triggerguard.
    Knights armament rail covers.
    Surefire Devastator light, when you MUST see whats going on without question.
    Tango Down vertical grip with battery storage for that big light.. tape switch for the light coming soon..
    100_1735. 100_1737.

20. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I like those pins; Midway carry them?

1. stg58
  2. Dunerunner
  3. OldDude49
  4. HK_User
  5. Lancer
  6. Big Ron
  7. Oddcaliber