AR-15 vs AR-10

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by BAT1, Nov 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. UGRev

UGRev Get on with it!

this is exactly what I did.. an AR-15 and a .308. and my next rifle.. if finances permit, will be a fulton armory titan .308.. sexy!

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Fulton Armory are the good guys. I have a Fulton AR that had a problem early on. Since I lived nearby at the time, I took it in, fixed on the spot. All it cost was the gas to get there and home, way less than shipping it back and forth. Very pleasant outfit to deal with.
    [winkthumb]

3. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

I just landed a big kitchen remodel just in time for the holidays! Now I CAN have both. Yes!
    More recoil, no problem I packed Asper Cream in the BOB. I'll pull up Fulton Armory.

4. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

For help with the recoil, go here:
    Slash's Heavy Buffers

I bought one of their XH buffers for each one of my AR10s. Helps with follow ups and taming some of that recoil. They also enable you to use Mil-Spec AR15 buffer tubes. Thus, any MilSpec stock. I am looking for a FH/Comp that will help a bit more.

I promise a new thread is coming. Waiting on my new rail system to mount up my new Rainer Arms barrel. I saved the average groups with the old barrel, so I can do a proper comparison. I am constantly balancing accuracy and weight for what I consider to be adequate on both.

Brokor likes this.
  5. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

Ah,yeah, I just looked at the fulton armory titan through a magazine article done.......all I can say is wow that gun is SEXY x infinity,lol.
    I could never buy one even if i had the money to, My wife would get so jealous...........I'd be cleaning that thing everytime I shoot it after 150 rounds.

6. Joseph Thomas

Joseph Thomas Monkey+

Maybe this should be a seperate thread. But is a heavy buffer needed/desired if you are putting a suppressor on a AR-10 with a 20" barrell? (Standard gas block)

7. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

A heavy buffer is never a bad idea on an AR-10. Try it and find out for yourself if you don't believe me.

YouTube - Answering PM's on my SHTF Weapon Platform, (and a small rant)

8. PapaSasquatch

PapaSasquatch Monkey++

6.8 is the best of both worlds. Better portability than 308. Price is competitive to 308. Power enough to stop large predators. Better barrier penetration and distance than 556. If 6.5G were more abundant I'd say it was superior but 6.8 has developed quicker for the average joe.

High quality 6.8 uppers from $539. If scarcity of ammo is hard, fall back to your 556 upper and abundant supply of it's ammo. And for what it's worth, I'd have no problem using 77grain SMK OTM in a 556 for ALL PURPOSE SHTF including heavy predators (which is easy to avoid anyway).

If I wasn't in portable mode, then by all means I'd prefer the AR 308 platform.

9. Maxflax

Maxflax Lightning in a bottle

I truly fail to see what 6.8 has over the 7.62 x 39 caliber except a little more range

Stick with common calibers for a SHTF weapon unless you lave $wads$ to blow away

10. Joseph Thomas

Joseph Thomas Monkey+

Brokor, That guy had a lot of good points, But walking through the woods or anywhere else with your finger on the trigger is pretty stupid in my experience. I'm no ace hunter or SF operator, but I don't put my finger on the trigger until I acquire a target. He may be right but I don't think I'll follow his policy.

11. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

lol, that's his point. Don't listen to him, find your own way. Your right to safety ends with yourself (and your children) and it does not extend into another's space...on operations, a group will decide what is safe and what is not -that is up to that group. I totally agree with him, and I don't feel right telling him to place his finger somewhere just to make me feel better. Trigger safety is one part awareness and two parts common sense. That guy has more common sense than any dozen folks. He's a true prepper. :)

Take care!

12. Joseph Thomas

Joseph Thomas Monkey+

Got it, See your point. Case closed.

13. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

This guy has a lot of good points. Especially in terms of platform and caliber selection. I really like his points on other preps being more important. I certainly agree that we spend too much time on the weapon selection and not near enough on other preparedness topics. I do disagree with some of his points which are just unchecked facts for the most part. For example, the DPMS is nowhere near "MilSpec". You really can't use MilSpec and follow up with chrome-moly. When I compare SS and crome-moly, I'd go with SS. You can get the same profile and same weight with a lot better accuracy. SS barrels have been proven to have the longevity of chrome-moly. Some newer SS barrels have a usable accuracy comparable to chrome lined barrels. SS's better corrosion resistance is really what sets it above chrome-moly.

I think that kind of sums it up. He may be a great prepper, but he's not going to be the #3 guy if I am the #2 guy... catch my drift. As mentioned above ^ a firearm is not limited to your safety bubble. If we were taking BA or elbow pads.... yeah. But there is a 1k safety bubble this guy needs to understand. Like you said Brokor, each group will decide on its own. I wouldn't tell him what is safe either.... it's just a strong recommendation ;). I can recount a hand full of NDs that ended with soldiers dead or maimed... each one had a finger on the trigger. They were all previously trained and proficient. "It will never happen to me."

14. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

@PaPaSasquatch: I had thought about the 6.8 remington special also, I thought that I could rely on such an uncommon caliber, but have been since convinced that the .308 platform though being heavier than the 5.56 it is a much better all around round for not only a combat situation
    but in a hunting situation also. yes it will kill most preditors, but I don't know if I would try using it on a 700 lb grizzly. my second point is Elk, there is no way you are going to put a Elk, or a Moose down with a .223 round, and if you need meat on the table, you might want to consider the .308 as a survival round. The reason I'm saying these things with a Elk or moose You will have to take them from out past 150 yards and fair chase just don't work when you absolutly need to be getting meat on the table.

I have no problem with .223/5.56 as a viable round in combat. it will flat take out what needs to be taken out. Even in Certain hunting situations it can be viable for smaller game. But in a big game enviroment
    you have to have some kind of a backup plan at least.........

15. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

This came in my email and I thought I would pass it along to add to the discussion:

http://www.americanrifleman.org/art...ail&utm_content=Bug-Out-text&utm_campaign=BFR

Ignore the part where says the SA58 takes M14-style mags ;)

I have the same AR10 Armalite carbine. Used it to take a deer this year. It lacks what I expect in AR accuracy primarily due to the extremely light barrel. A new barrel is leaning in the corner. I am awaiting the rail system to mount it. I picked a similar optic- Leupy 1.5-5x MR/T. The combo worked well enough during hunting season. The balance is a bit off- rear heavy. I chose a slightly heavier SS barrel and a DD Lite 9.0 handguard. It should balance it back out better as well as squeeze out more acceptable accuracy. I will get it all put together by JAN... hopefully. Damn handguard is back ordered. I am also looking into a PWS comp/FH to further reduce recoil. I eluded earlier in this thread how I have installed a heavy buffer. The combo of buffer, heavier barrel, rail, and comp should make follow ups a breeze... at least that's what I am shooting for.
    http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=37&idcategory=6
    http://www.heavybuffers.com/
    http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=2338
    http://danieldefense.com/rail-systems/7-62-lite-rail/7-62-lite-railtm-9-0-mid-length.html
    http://swfa.com/Leupold-15-5x20-Mark-4-MRT-30mm-Riflescope-P45043.aspx

16. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

What hand guard are you installing ?

17. Clatonious

Clatonious Monkey+

G3 clones cover alot of bases

18. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I chose this:
    http://danieldefense.com/rail-systems/7-62-lite-rail/7-62-lite-railtm-9-0-mid-length.html

Specifically because I want to keep weight down, but still want to improve the balance (forward). I believe the DD Lite is the lightest on the market. My thinking is the heavier barrel will improve the balance and the DD Lite almost weighs the same as plastic handguards. Should** average it about perfect.

I have also used Art's rails extensively and would recommend them:
    http://www.superiorweaponssystems.com/products.htm
    I have his sniper smooth bottom rail on a 20" AR10. Its built well. I have also used an E1 on an AR15. It's a great rail as well. If it wasn't for the weight issue, I would choose another SWS rail.

19. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

I have a spare DPMS free float carbine length with out light rails you are more than welcome to use till they send your back order?

20. Back to the subject of this thread -
    As has been pointed out, your loadout depends on a number of factors - your mode of travel, terrain you'll be operating in, etc.

Another member stated that the ability to scrounge ammunition is an important tactical consideration - and I agree. That's why, as much as I like the round, I'm not investing in the 6.8 for prep purposes - though I may do so for hunting in the future. Think on this, though - the same issue applies to 7.62x51 - very few agencies issue it other than in very limited quantities for precision applications.

So, the 'Serious Social Purposes' portion of my gun safe includes -

- A semi M14 built from a GI parts kit and a Wolfe modified medium barrel on a Fulton receiver with NM sights and trigger group, in a JAE aluminum stock with an SEI scope mount and an ACOG (for now - better glass coming in the near future). This is my precision rifle, if I anticipate long shots or need the heavy bullet for what I'm targeting.

- An MGI Hydra AR in 7.62x39, with both AK and AR mag wells. By swapping barrel, bolt and magazine I can change over to .22LR, 5.45x39 or 5.56x45 in less than 5 minutes. The ability to shoot all 3 common military cartridges was critical to me settling on this.

- A Remington 870 Express Tactical in 12 Gauge with a Knoxx CopStock folding recoil reducing stock

- A Beretta M9 pistol

If I had to bug out on foot I would carry the carbine with barrels and bolts so I could shoot all 3 common military calibers and the pistol. Of course, I've done quite a bit of planning to make that scenario as unlikely as possible.

So there's my train of thought, FWIW.

1. stg58
  2. Dunerunner
  3. OldDude49
  4. HK_User
  5. Lancer
  6. Big Ron
  7. Oddcaliber
  8. Lancer
  9. Lancer
  10. RouteClearance
  11. HK_User