AR-15 vs AR-10

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by BAT1, Nov 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Thanks for the offer QS. :)

I don't think the mechanics would work, though. I am running an Armalite carbine. I believe the threads are different on the two.

On that subject... it's been a month now since I ordered. This is the second time that this particular company has done this. If you go to their website, the product I ordered says "In Stock". I can then click on my account and clearly see the item back-ordered.... such crap. I am on the fringe of canceling the order. I will wait until Monday morning and see if it has shipped by then. For $15 more, I could of had it in hand more than 3 weeks ago from CTD..... [beat]

2. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

Great food for thought here. Consider this forum as a big 'think tank' to get things worked out first.
    On the job training a SHFT situation is not healthy. I've studied the ballistics tests for both rounds, As Falcon 15 the .223 breaks up quickly in the body causing several wound channels. Very good from 0- 300 yards, but it will not go through walls, or other barriers, our troops have experienced and loses ummph at 300+. I'm going to get the DPMS AR-10 too, for barrier penetration and ommph at 300+. It is a common round also. I have 5000 reloads of each of these calibers stocked.
    Now here's the next question. DPMS Sportical or the Panther LR-308 AP4 carbine. Both have 16" barrels, but should I get one with a bull barrel?
    DPMS Rifles/Shotguns dpms panther lr-308 ap4 carbine, bl - DPMSrifle.com

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just a Note here.... With a 16" barrel, you will be doing very well to get MOA groups at 300+ yds.... .....

4. BAT1

Thanks for the reply BT, they have one with an 18" bull barrel.

5. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

In all actuality the dpms lrt-sass( long range tactical semi-automatic sniper system), along with the mk-12,band the repr has an 18" bull barrel. then lr-308c is a 20"bull barrel. they do have a rifle with a 24" barrel but the calibers are .260 remington, and 6.5 creedmoor. they do offer ar-10's in 7.62x 39 with 16" and 20" barrels...............

6. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

Go with the LR308 AP4, it has the dust cover and forward assist where as the Sportical does not. My AP4 will shoot sub MOA with a scope and M118 LR match ammo. The only thing that needs to be done to the AP4 out of the box is to have a good triiger job done or have a aftermarket trigger installed. I would also recommend the C-Products magazines. They $15.00 each and are a lot more reliable than DPMS's own factory units.

7. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Good read! I have been thinking about a .308 AR myself, but was looking on input about the various manufacturers and models. Regarding TX, our mighty state is also overrun with big boar hogs, and while I have seen them killed with 5.56 rounds, I have also shot a 400+ pound Russian Boar in the shoulder with. .270 and watched as the round gouged but then failed to penetrate the shoulder plate. After a shot further backed killed the big boar, when we skinned it I found the gouge the first round made but it didn't penetrate the plate. Shocked the hell out of me. Dead center hit. I also prefer the .308's ability to turn cover into concealment. So....I'm looking hard.

8. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

More greatness from Quig "your retarded if you go into wolf country with only a 10-22." The thing is, everywhere is wolf country, two legged or four. We also have bears in Texas. The ranch next to ours has video of a good sized bear coming into a feeder during bow season, all on a game cam. This isn't in East TX or the panhandle, but the hill country. It all comes down to personal preference, and using what you know you can hit with.

9. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

The DPMS's Oracle is also a good choice. Technically listed as a 7.62x51 (stamped on the side of the lower - and on their web-site here), it's a fine weapon. With dust cover, forward assist and a completely FLAT TOP. No Iron sights, and no need to change the forward gas block to the optional flat top if you are more oriented for scope shooting. The trigger on this, like most DPMS's should be worked with a slightly better trigger assembly. I personally prefer the Magpul mags @ ~19.00 FRNs each, including snap on dust covers.

I have not had any relaibilty issues with the DMPS mags, however they only hold 19 rounds and steel weight twice what poly weighs. IMO less mag weight, more capacity (even if only 1 round) is better than more mag weight, less capacity. This, like anything else YMMV.

10. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

On the subject of .223 since people bring it up a lot...

I am seriously loving my 40gr.match grade V-Max by Fiocchi. I also reload my own 55 gr. polymer tips.
    223rem40hvmaxfiocchi-0.

11. BAT1

I think I have it whittled down to this one: DPMS LR 308 Win flat top with out carry handle. Comes with quad rail and six position stock for 1099.00 Internet and 1200.00 my little gun shop price. I have a 4x15x40 Shooter's Edge scope to top it with that has been great on my bolt rifle.
    DPMS Rifles/Shotguns dpms panther 308win ap4 16 less c - DPMSrifle.com

12. Lt_Cav_Sabre

Lt_Cav_Sabre Monkey+

great choice BAT1 let us know ( with pictures ) when you get it and how it shoots !

My bug out firearms are M14 and pistol for myself and Stag AR 15 for my wife.

Now that you are 'down" to AR-10, S/G,& pistols how much ammo of each are you thinking of? also is this your vehicle Bug Out load or your walking load ?

other thoughts regrading all the excellent comments and discussions:
    - *everything* is shot placement *everything* the trapper at my parents cabin shoots a bolt .22 for everything... I saw the black bear carcass he killed with his .22 through the eye.... he shrugged off our praise and awe stating he gets 2 or 3 moose every year the same way, ( he is treaty native btw with no grizzlies for a 1000 miles).
    - I also carry bear spray which goes along way toward dealing with all types of wildlife ( 2 and 4 legged ).

Great post and great site !
    Cheers
    Lt_Cav_Sabre

13. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Good Man - a wise decision (but I may be a little biased.) Weight is the price paid for long range accuracy and take down power.

14. BAT1

My funds situation just improved with steady work, so I'll be able to purchase it sooner. I'll have both, so I will keep the AR-10 tubed at the BOL. I plan to use the M4, and S/G to get out of dodge, and bug to the other rifle and stored ammo. I'll carry 200 .223 with me, and 25 00 buck, 500 .22 and 100 rounds of .45 That's vehicle load, Those .45 rounds are heavy.

15. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I finally got my 16" back. The new precision barrel sure looks like a tight shooting winner. In hindsight, I should have just ordered the wrench and headspace gauges.... that took forever. I am taking it out today. I will get some pics and targets up tonight maybe.

Anyone looking for an Armalite pattern carbine barrel (lightweight, chrome lined), hit me up on PM. I am sure I can beat Armalite's prices.

16. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Well before doing anything drastic, try reading Boston T. Party's book BOSTONS GUN BIBLE (Javelinpress.com) where he talks anout pretty muck all the current, and not so current, guns out there and what is what. Personally unless you really need a semi-auto .308 (yeah, I have a bunch too), the bolt gun is fine. You can reach out and touch someone with it, no expensive mags (you need a few, they get lost, stolen, broken, wear out, or just can't be found), and the bolt gun is easier to maintain normally.

17. Wolfgang2000

Wolfgang2000 Monkey++

Experience has taught me that every weapon system and caliber has strengths and weakness. A person has to make him/her self happy then train, train, train!!!

A person should train in such a matter that works around the weakness of the system of his/her choice. That said you are not going to change a 7.62x39, 5.56, or 5.45x39 into long range battle cartridges. They were designed to be a intermediate cartridge, and that is what they will always be. Yes there are some loading that make these rounds work better outside their designed envelope. You have to ask yourself why are they doing that? The answer usually is politics and or money, or all of the above.

As stated in other post I freely admit a prejudice against the 5.56 round. Also eye of caution at the AR/M16 platform. However it would be insane to say that they don't work. I've had to trust my life to both from 72 to 94. I also understand the the M16/5.56 of my army days, which formed my prejudice, are different today. Also that lubrication of today is head and shoulders above what we had back then. Still I'll never pick up an AR/M16 with out wondering if it will choke, or if the 5.56 will drop them.

Lab test (jello) are good and a necessity. But I prefer real life testing. One of the reasons I went I went to the 7.62x39 round was the Hollywood shoot out in 94. The BG's shot and incapacitated up wards of 20 people IIRC. Almost all of them through cover/concealment of some kind. Cars, stucco building etc.. At the end both sides were using M16/5.56 weapons, and trying to saw through 2 windshields. Neither was successful. The same results for the recent Arkansas shootout. This time it was a match up between the 5.56 and the 5.45. pretty much the same results.

With all of the above, neither will replace the 308/7.62 NATO. It's apple and oranges. It's my go to hunting round, and I really like my Fal carbine. If I win the lottery the Kel-Tec RFB will be my next gun buy.

If I had to choose one type of round, a intermediate round or a full rifle round, it would probably be the 308. It can and does work up close and far.

18. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

As in earlier posts by me I have chose a .308/7.62x51 nato as my go to round. To me the .308 is the most versatile round you can buy point blank. lighter grain bullet with a little heavier dose of powder you can shoot longer distances, or with a good heavy bullet with regular powder charge you can stick that in a carbine and its a fabulous under 300 yard round that will penetrate and not only put down but put down permanatly. I'm currently studying this round for various variations of how changes in powder loads and bullet grain weights can improve ranges and knockout power, for me that versatility can mean the differance between life and deathand that is point blank truth.

Falcon15 likes this.
  19. cetane

cetane Monkey+

20. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

Im sure the venerable sr-25 rifle would be an excellant battle rifle, But when you dont have 4,925.00 bucks for one you tend to be more frugal with your choices of rifle. for my money the dpms is every bit the rifle with few mods, and still can cost under 3 grand. plus to me 114.00 bucks is way to much money for a 20 round mag. and yes I did look it up. so by the time you buy that rifle and say 20 mags you have 10 grand or close to it socked away into the system, thats not including a scope, and the most important thing you need for that rifle being ammo. so you are spending 15,000 anyhow. I am very happy that you have that kind of money for that system. here it is in a nutshell, I can put just as many bad actors in the ground with my dpms as you can with your knight sr-25, point blank there it is and I have the extra 10,000 grand you spent still in my pocket for other needs when that time comes.

RouteClearance likes this.
  1. stg58
  2. Dunerunner
  3. OldDude49
  4. HK_User
  5. Lancer
  6. Big Ron
  7. Oddcaliber
  8. Lancer
  9. Lancer
  10. RouteClearance
  11. HK_User