AR-15 vs AR-10

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by BAT1, Nov 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

+1, I will never understand why there are a few individuals that have virtual multiple organisms over KAC and the SR25 weapons platform. I have seen how reliable(NOT) that the Mk 11 is overseas, and I will never spend that much money for a rifle that I will never bet my life on. There are a lot of Marine Scout/Snipers that despise that weapons reliability factor in the "Sand Box". The SR25 weapons platform has got to be kept meticulously clean to operate. My DPMS is a whole different story along with my Armalite, and spending $110.00 for a single magazine is totally idiotic.

2. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

The DPMS will take the cheaper mags, I shot one this weekend, and it is accurate!
    It had good fit and feel, less recoil than my bolt rifle, I'm looking forward to having my own. You will definitely need a sling. I was thinking of the story about the wolves...
    Guitar.

3. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Most ARs are more accurate than their owners.

;) :D

4. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

Well I have no problem with paying 4 grand for a gun, but if I do it better well have one or the other of two names first name Barret, I wouldnt buy a 50 bmg from any other, the other name being Les Baer, The finest long distant hunting rifles ever made come from his shop. DPMS is a very fine rifle for the money, and will use the aftermarket mags. magpul is every bit as good as the stock mag for DPMS. besides magpuls in poly weight less hence more rounds you can carry. 114.00 for one mag. I can buy 11 mags for the DPMS, More rounds downfield. Simple as that. More ammo downfield, means more bad actors are going to meet their maker. Let me make my argument more clear. I am not uncle sam, I cant afford to pay 5 grand for a single battle rifle, I would much rather have 5 or 6 for the same price. that is one I can have in my hands, one I can put in my wifes hands one I can put in the hands of my daughter, one I can put in the hands of my other daughter, then one more I can put in the hands of my son-in-law, that right there is a force multiplier. for the price you pay for your knight I have 5 guns in 5 peoples hands. even more bullets down range. To me it is simple, along with others on this web-site. when your dealing with numbers that is harder to beat.

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Most firearms are more accurate, than the people pulling the trigger......

6. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I know, I get a lesson every time the range is crowded. :D

Skill with a firearm has something in common with fresh bread; both go stale very quickly when left out.
    As I prefer a rifle my weakness is pistols. I'm similar to Tom Selleck's character in Quigly down under.
    :D

7. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

I am the same way, tikka with a rifle I can and have taken Elk at 900+ yards, but I am lucky to hit the broad side of a barn till I got my M&P What I bought I thought was a decent gun for my then security job. I have small hands, So cant handle a full size handgun too awfully well. I tried this compact, and bang I love this gun, the day I bought it at the store I took it into they're range put 5 boxes of .40 through it and pretty soon i was was plopping my money down for the gun, extra Mags, a soft case that holds both, and 10 boxes of ammo. I'm now disabled and cant work nor even get out a shoot as much as I want, but My M & P is always ready, i keep her cleaned and lubed and always at the ready.

8. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I can use one well enough; I just prefer a rifle. I grew up shooting ground hogs and I never could get my father's 22rf/22mag SS to do as well as my JC Higgins made by Marlin 22 mag. ;)
    900+ in the "field" is some very good shooting, kudos!

Pistols and revolvers are the same as shoes; one size does not fit all. ;) 1911s, Hi-Powers, etc fit my hand best.

9. BTPost

In a Semi-auto S&W always felt to "Me" like trying to hold a Brick. I tried a whole lot of Semi's, till the guy brought out, what is NOW, my Browning HiPower. It fit in my hand, just like a well worn glove.... smooth, ya know, like it was meant to live there.... Natural Point, and Shoot, weapon.... Been in my shoulder Holster for three decades since...... Love my Browning HiPower.....

10. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Hi-powers point well for me also. In pistols I've stayed with 9 or 45; as they are lighter usually the 9s when the weather is hot. ;)

11. cetane

cetane Monkey+

I'm sorry I don't live up to your standards. First I bought this with out knowing really what it was. I was just looking for an AR-15 but larger more powerful bullet. I decided that after I was shooting up an old field car and found the bullets didn't go through the other side. :-( I only payed $2200 for it cause this guy needed money an figure Id try it. To my surprise I got a great buy by chance at the "gun" shop when a guy was looking to get cash. Second you said you buy Magpul. Did you miss they sell mags for the Stoner's, the same price as yours?

Easy there big fella, take a breath and relax. No need to get excited over what rifle I said " Is the best for ME", thats why its there at the beginning.[yack]

12. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

You will usually find that when something has a high price tag there is a reason for it. I can't attest to the reliability aspect of the SR-25 but as for accuracy it is the most amazing out of the box rifle I have ever fired. My friend owns one and we have both competed over the years in various marksmanship contests. I am no "sniper" but I have several ribbons and trophy's to show my abilities to put it where I want it to go. The first time I ever shot his SR I was blown away. It is the most accurate semi-auto I have ever fired.

I have always competed with a bolt but with the SR I can achieve the same bolt gun accuracy. Not something I could or would, try with any other semi.

My personal preference for a (whatever scenario) grab and go weapon, is my FAL PARA but it is not a long range weapon. For that I have a customized bolt.

The "Stoner Rifle" is just that. It is the rifle that Eugene Stoner originally designed, before the Army got a hold of it and forced Colt to downgrade it to the AR platform.

My buddy is an average Joe with an average salary and he had to put it on lay away for months to afford it but it is a decision he has never regretted. You get what you pay for. Which BTW was considerably less than 15 grand.

For myself I will always choose the .308. And I will always try to buy the best weapon I can afford, even if that means sacrificing to get it.
    And the SR-25 is top notch quality that is worth every penny.

As for the original query in this thread. My vote is .308 in whatever platform you can get it. I have several AR-15's and they are fun to play with, and train with, and I would certainly not feel unarmed if that was all I had. BUT, in a dire strait they will be left sitting in the safe, or handed out to younger, lesser experienced shooters, while the .308's go with me.

My [2c]. IMHO. YMMV.

Quigley_Sharps and cetane like this.
  13. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

They all work and they all have advantages and disadvantages. Infantry carry a variety of weapons to compensate for the weaknesses.

14. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

I was trying to speak of a complete weapons system Rifle/ with at least 20 mags. that by paying close to 5 grand for one rifle then 110 bucks from knight for the mags, I have shot the knight it is a fine weapon I am not saying it isnt, but for my dollar, of wich is about the obama government lets me keep these days, the dpms is a fine weapon for my money. as long as your putting bullets downrange and can do it successfully without it blowing up or jamming. If you can afford it go ahead by all means buy it. we are not waging war against each other we have a common enemy,
    WASHINGTON D.C. .......................Its ok to laugh now.

15. PapaSasquatch

PapaSasquatch Monkey++

I'd think that in SHTF scenarios, it's not "hunting as usual" with proper licensure, orange garb, hunter etiquette, respecting hunting times and places. Further, there won't be large game very often like an elk or moose and probably not many bears either (and I'm imagining the Bitterroot Valley here in western MT) after several months of "every man for himself." That leaves hoards of white tail.

I agree that 308 is a much better all around round for both combat and hunting, only it's portability lacking. And yes, I'd take a reduced .277 round (6.8spcII) on any bear..granted I had a full mag.

To the feller commenting and saying the 7.62x39 is not far off from the 6.8spcII, there is a HUGE difference in EVERY way between the two and it would be evident in both combat and hunting. But as we alll know, the 6.8 is just stupidly cost prohibitive.

16. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Ball ammunition penetrates better which is the turning cover into concealment advantage. According to the old Ordnance Spec 30 Cal M2 Ball will penetrate 11 inches of oak at 600 yards. 7.62N isn't 30 Cal but it is a lot closer to it than any of the intermediate rounds.
    The 5,56, 5,45 and 7.62x39 have about the same effective range. Being out of the other guy's effective range is wise.

17. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

the only gripe i have concerning the .308 round is the weight. even in a battle rifle i can stay out of the range of other common rounds, thats going to be used in a shtf scenario. I want to use as much consealement as possible when I am out there. When that day comes i believe its going to be more every man for himself rather all for one and one for all. Think about that one. A person would need to stay as mobile as possible, heading even farther into the woods at that time. and you dadgone better well be prepared cause you are going to have to fight to survive whether it maybe another one like you going for the same piece of game, or some horse patoot from the city aiming on killing you just to get the gear on your back, or even a couger or wolf that thinks your its next meal. you might as well carry a gun thats going to keep you alive.

18. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Stealth means move slowly; the more stealth you need the slower you move.

I live farther back in the woods. Here we have food, garden, game and potable water a brook down a steep mountainside. As I'm staying put the weight of a "main battle rifle" isn't as much of a factor.

If you were in my situation; how would you view the people who are coming farther in the woods where you live?

in a shtf world I can easily see anyone here who preps and gardens picking tomatoes with a rifle slung over their shoulder.

19. BTPost

Tikka, I live even farther out than you do, and I 100% agree with your approach to this subject, in our situations. Here, where I live, SemiArctic Rain Forest, I can see them coming from Miles off, because the only way in is by Air, or Water, so I need a "Reach out, and touch It" Weapon. Not something that needs to be humped for miles, and for things under 100 Yds, my Winchester 1300 Stainless Pump Shotgun w/Extended Tube Mag, loaded with a #9 Birdshot in the chamber, and the 7 in the Mag are 00 Buck and Slugs, alternating. This is enough FirePower to deal with ANY Mammal that lives in the Americas. My "Reach out, and touch It" Weapon will be a DMPS in .308, with the 24" Chrome lined Barrel. That gives "Me" 1Km Range, which should discourage any air, or water, borne, unwanted visitors, if and when, the time comes for such application of FirePower. There are also a variety of Handguns in the Weapons Locker, should those be required, as well as a goodly supply of Ammunition and Makings, including Black Powder weapons, and Makings.

Pax Mentis likes this.
  20. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

BTPost, I sort of gathered that you do. :D Where I live is AWD/4WD with aggressive tires country. In shape it is similar to a peninsula with steep sides with one road in and out.. It is heavily forested so in winter I can see 700 yards and in summer maybe 75 LOL.
    I enjoy shooting clones and accurate bolt rifles. I have for years so literally I can outfit a squad.

1. stg58
  2. Dunerunner
  3. OldDude49
  4. HK_User
  5. Lancer
  6. Big Ron
  7. Oddcaliber
  8. Lancer
  9. Lancer
  10. RouteClearance
  11. HK_User
  12. Motomom34