AR-15 vs AR-10

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by BAT1, Nov 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

That would be 42.5 gr RE-15 under 168 gr SIE. 16" barrel twist 1:10

2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I think now days my primary would have to be an AR-15 and my reach out and get you is an AR-10. The AR-15 is carried by most .gov and police, is a recognized standard for most shooters, and hence would provide a lot of spare parts and ammo post-shtf. The AR-10 is a fantastic platform for sniper, counter- sniper, area denial and so on....but parts are just not as readily available .

AmericanRedoubt1776 likes this.
  3. AmericanRedoubt1776

AmericanRedoubt1776 American Redoubt: Idaho-Montana-Wyoming Site Supporter+

Agreed. My philosophy as well. Like LMT brand.

4. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Parts are available now. Buy them in advance. Also, but an AR-10 style .308 tons of ammo available, easy to load your own and a highly effective round beyond .223's effective range.

5. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Am reminded of what the old "gunny" said in "We Were Young and Soldiers" about rifle availability if needed over his 45. He said if it got to the point where you needed one then there would probably be lots laying about. Guess I should be more concerned over parts but one of my "bestests buds" is an armorer and he lives close by.

6. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

HK 91 for me in 308. With Factory Mil Scope and Claw Mount.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    Brokor and Falcon15 like this.
  7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

If I can see my way thru a couple more near term projects, there's an AR10 in my future. Most likely 308, but other thinking will be entertained. Given the shooting distances around these parts, something heavier and slower might fit the needs better.

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just to bring my $.02 back to the thread.... I bought a DPMS AR10 with the 24" Stainless Bull Barrel, and mounted a Burris Eliminator III Optic, on the top Rail. I have a Harris BiPod mounted on the lower Front of the Hand-guard. This was purchased for One Reason, and One Reason ONLY. To be able to "Reach out and touch someone" @1000 Yds.... These are NOT Light Weight, (14 Lbs) but again, as a BugIn Person, I don't have to Hump It, all over the country. I can set it in the Rhino, and drive where ever I might need to be. It was designed to be able to Knock Out the 2'X2' Wheelhouse Window @ 1000 Yds. It is a "Discourage from getting any closer" Weapon, as well as, it can function as a "Moose Getter" should one happen to walk by, during Hunting Season. I have plenty of other Weapons, for inside 400 Yds, but this will function, Perfectly at 1000 Yds. I have enough Powder, Primers, and Projectiles, to last the rest of my Lifetime, where I live,.The .308 Projectiles, for the AR-10, can also be used in reloading for my two 30-30 Lever Actions.
    I posted a thread on the sighting in process I went thru for the AR-10. With pictures of the 100Yd Target, and the 998 Yd Gong, across the Inlet. On a good day, I can hit the Gong better that 33% of the time, if the wind is calm.

AmericanRedoubt1776 likes this.
  9. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I actually permanently JB welded my scope mount to the CETME and it's still holding strong. I have a beautiful tri-rail foregrip on her and a bipod. I love it.

10. HK_User

Pictures?

11. Brokor

Yard Dart likes this.
  12. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Bump.
    **** update added to post 15 Aug. 2014****
    I just got a new like on this post from page one, and in all fairness and honesty I must say, I now own 2
    AR-15's. One off the rack, and one a custom build. Additionally I am in the progress of 3 AR builds from stripped receivers and completion kits, plus a few add on parts. I recognize the usefulness of having a number of rapid firing, lightweight, potent, patrol rifles suitable easily for women and teens, and the 35 cents a round for reloadable quality milspec ammo doesn't hurt either. I still love a couple of my .308s for long range area denial, but have learned to accept the .223/5.56mm and give it due credit.

13. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Yep, being old(school) and long a fan of '06 & .308 it took me years to to appreciate the lighter and more compact ARs and it's 5.56 cartridge. The wide availability and reasonable price of parts and rounds also help make it my go to platform these days. Not giving up my heavy caliber completly though.And just going to suffer the weight of my 1911s and it's rounds.

So I go to town this morning and stop by my LGS, just to look you know :rolleyes: and now have one more '06. A deal too good to pass up you see. Oh well, I guess I need ONE that hasn't been fishing with my clumsy azz, right? BUT WAIT! The wife needs another rifle................Yeah that's it:D

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2014
  14. Brokor

I dunno guys, I am thinking about never using an AR15 again. I mean, the .223 round just isn't doing it for me any more.

I might just go for the .308 AR-10, that's a real man's rifle anyway.

Then, I will go fishing. ;)

15. HK_User

If you don't mind stressing your AR15 then there are now better rounds.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  16. Brokor

DSC00011.JPG Look at these .223 rounds.In the foreground, we have the steel core penetrator rounds, and behind, just for good measure in case there are any zombies...the venerable V-Max 40 gr. ballistic tip and its reloading counterpart, the 55 gr. ballistic tip +P anti-Soviet rounds. LOOK HOW TINY THEY ARE!

Is this any match for the .308? Hrm...let's see...

DSC00013.JPG
    On the left we have the Silver Bear BTHP .308 nightmare edition. And just in case they come in tanks, we have API (armor piercing incendiary) rounds to ruin their day.

OH YEAH, SUCK IT .223! BOOYOW!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
    3M-TA3, HK_User and Yard Dart like this.
  17. Seeelayarkay

Seeelayarkay Monkey

Just two cents from an old paratrooper, but in two theaters of war over 36 months in country, I engaged two contacts at over 250 meters in what amounted to be about 500 days of patrols. We were in a 15 man outpost inside Taliban ruled Kandahar province in the middle of nowhere for almost three months. This is about as close to a realistic SHTF/WROL situation as possible. The two that I did engage outside that range were well within the 600 meter capability of the Mk262 Mod 1 round. The fact is that most firefights even in military settings take place inside a hundred yards. A 5.56 and iron sights is more than equipped to handle that threat.
    My point is that a 308 is undoubtedly a more capable cartridge for almost any application, but is it really that much more capable when you consider what you're getting for the added cost and weight and what the probable distance of a realistic DEFENSIVE shot will be? No. Unequivocally no.
    From my experience, most "preppers" don't put in the time/discipline or have the equipment/ resources to procure enough 308 ammo that it takes to make the long range shots that separate the two rounds. Very few people realize the difficulty involved in making a 1000 meter shot. Hell, a man sized target in a 24X reticle is flea sized at 1000 yards. Take wind, lead and bullet drop into account and you will find it much easier to flank your target or run defense.
    Another thing to consider is that you can use hollow/soft point ammunition as a civilian. The wounding capability of hollow point .223/5.56 ammo throws the whole "pea shooter" argument out the window. Watch a 55 grain VMax in gel. It's bloody devastating. Pure luck is the only way you survive a hit to center mass.
    The last thing I want to point out is what Nutnfancy would call philosophy of use. The 308 is purely an offensive cartridge. Assassination and hunting are the only abilities it has that the 223 does not. Go ahead and try to convince me that you can take a 1000 meter defensive shot. If the world goes to hell and we are without rule of law, I'd like to think that most of us will be sheepdogs and protectors. The objective (as far as I'm concerned) is to restore law and order as soon as possible. You don't do that by bringing aggression to the table.

18. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I respectfully disagree that it's only useful as an offensive round. While it's an excellent long range round, the 308/7.62x51 still has sheer brute power and penetration over the 5.56 NATO in shorter range. If my attackers are wearing body armor and hiding behind barriers thinking 5.56 NATO their day just got much harder.

The 130grain Mk318 ammunition specifically is designed for close to medium range engagement and is designed for barrier penetration while still being effective on soft targets.The new ammunition is also lighter than the traditional ball ammunition and closer in weight to 7.62x39. If you are coming to my house to kill me this is what I'm sending your way.

Back to the original AR15 vs AR10 question, much has changed since the OP. Consider the weight of the two rifles below
    Colt LE6920 6lbs 12oz
    Adams AR308 7lbs 13oz
    S&W M&P 10 7lbs 12 oz

We see a medium length piston AR308 weighing only 1 lb 1 oz more and a mere 1/2 inch longer than the gold standard AR-15. Next, 20 round mag full of Mk318 SOST ammo weighs only slightly more than a 30 round mag of 5.56 77gr OTP,. I don't see the weight of the two platforms getting much closer. The AR15 still has economy behind it especially when it comes to ammunition. The AR15 is also quicker to get back on target during a firefight. Personally I see a mix of AR15's and AR10's as a good solution, perhaps in a ratio of one AR10 to every 3 or 4 AR15's.

Also, while I personally prefer the AR10 platform, the heavier FN/FAL, HK 91, and M1A1 are still excellent and very viable weapon systems, each with its own strengths and weaknesses.

How I would break it down:
    • You are bringing the battle to me: AR308
    • My get home rifle: AR-15
    • I'm bugging out: AR-15
    • I'm bringing the battle to you: AR-15 (since I have to carry the ammo)
    • I'm hiding in the woods and sniping at you: AR308

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    Gator 45/70 and BTPost like this.
  19. secondrecon

secondrecon Monkey+++

Yep what you said

20. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Am a "bug in"-er at my age and have adopted the philosophy that if they get close enough to fire at you then you have failed already. Picked up a 25-06 bull on a Mauser action that "clover leafs" at 300. Have moved back to my old farm on top of a nice little knoll---for a reason. Have my '06s of course still and AKs for shorter problems. Do have a DPMS M-4 and have a tremendous respect for its rounds.

1. stg58
  2. Dunerunner
  3. OldDude49
  4. HK_User
  5. Lancer
  6. Big Ron
  7. Oddcaliber
  8. Lancer
  9. Lancer
  10. RouteClearance
  11. HK_User
  12. Motomom34