AR-9 Build

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Tully Mars, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Just finished this one this afternoon.
    20170803_184948. 20170803_185122. 20170803_185229. 20170803_185328.
    Target was the sight in @ 25yrds. That is a 10 shot group.
    Total build is right at $1,100.00

3M-TA3, yeti695, Mindy Sue and 9 others like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Mon, Nom,Nom [drooling][drooling][drooling] That is pretty and a sweet shooter to boot!! Pew and No Pew!! [roflmao]

Tully Mars, Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  3. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

Tully, La longue carabine of J. F. Cooper & the Leatherstocking Tales pentalogy, what is impressive about things surpassed prior to the American War of Independence?
    Just asking, not judging.

Tully Mars likes this.
  4. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Very Nice TM!!! [chopper]

sec_monkey and Tully Mars like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

NICE! Who makes that sexy lower? Can it be had in rifle cal? Thinking I needs a 5.7X28 suppressed with out that stupid top mount 50 round F/N mag! Me thinks a simple insert for a full size P-Mag using pistol springs and followers should make it feed from the bottom like a real rifle, not that Buck Rogers PS-90 ( which I love to hate on)

sec_monkey and Tully Mars like this.
  6. duane

duane Monkey+++

Beautiful piece of art and mighty impressive build. My bias is towards cheaper and deeper, but that is mostly a function of disposable income. Would rather have 2 of the $450 ones and $200 worth of reloading supplies as at 80 years old I am more likely to be arming my kids and neighbors than sniping.

Ura-Ki, sec_monkey and Tully Mars like this.
  7. Tully Mars

I understand your thinking, I truly do, and that was the main reason I posted how much I have into this one. You are not going to build an AR in 9mm much cheaper than this one. I did all the machine work on the 80% lower, reworked a stock AR trigger group so it has a respectable 4lb trigger with no creep or gritty feel. Breaks very clean using mil spec springs.. Bead blasted and DuraKoated the entire carbine.

Yard Dart, Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  8. Tully Mars

80% AR15 Lower receiver Mill Finish 80 percent Raw AR-15 Lower | Daytona Tactical

Not to my knowledge Bro:(
    It is a nice looking receiver, and I want to combine it with this upper:
    80% Arms:Raw Billet AR-15 Upper Receiver

I haven't sat down with the calipers and mikes yet, but was thinking about doing so to see if the lower could be used for a rifle cal. Main concern is mag and bolt release as the mag release is not the same as on a 5.56. Bolt catch/release should be GTG but I wanna double check. This receiver uses a allen head threaded pin to hold in the bolt release-WAY better than trying to drive in that old roll pin!
    In addition to milling out the fire control area a person would have to mill out the mag well area to accept a full size mag, but with a mill it's no biggie.

sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  9. duane

duane Monkey+++

Tully Mars, I have assembled a couple of Daytona Tactical rifles in 556 and 300 Blackout and while their lower end offerings , I was very impressed with both the workmanship and functioning of the completed weapons.

Ura-Ki, Tully Mars and sec_monkey like this.
  10. Tully Mars

I have done over a dozen so far and have had zero issues with their parts other than their anodizing seems to be on the thin side.

Ura-Ki, sec_monkey and M118LR like this.
  11. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    Tully Mars likes this.
  12. Tully Mars

They make it in 5.56 and 7.62 now!
    80% AR-15 Billet Lower - 7075 T6 Aluminum - Multi Caliber

I will say this:
    While the receiver is excellent their completion jigs suck. No matter what they say you can NOT get a decent job out of them using a drill press.Their instructions say to "clean up the fire control pocket with a dremel tool and or file". LOL,You better be ready to go through a few files and bits.. To get a quality job a milling machine MUST be used. These receivers will NOT fit any other brand of AR jigs that I am aware of. I have not tried their 5.56 receiver in my 80% jig, but the above 9mm would not fit. That being said, if you want a really sharp looking receiver and have a mill these are an excellent choice.

Ura-Ki and Yard Dart like this.
  1. 3M-TA3
  2. Matei
  3. Yard Dart
  4. Yard Dart
  5. hot diggity
  6. Oddcaliber
  7. Dont
  8. oil pan 4
  9. Oddcaliber
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Marvin L. Steinhagen